Because I have nothing deep or witty to say, I'll write about one of my pet peeves. I was just reminded of this pet peeve while preparing chicken for supper last night. I do love to cook, but before starting, I have to pull the batteries out of the smoke detectors because I always set them off. When my son hears the smoke alarm go off, he says...."Oh good, Mom's cooking".
First let me start off by saying, that I am so thankful to live in a country where I can buy my chicken with beaks and feet not attached. Don't want to sound ungrateful. Hmmm, maybe I shouldn't complain, but hey, it's my journal and I'll complain if I want to, dammit! ...lol...
Why OH WHY does the poultry industry feel the need to stuff the innards back into a chicken or turkey? Seriously, who actually eats those things? I have heard of people making gizzard stuffing (what the hell is a gizzard?), and how many gizzards do you need to make a stuffing? And the neck? OMG, I can't help but imagine some frustrated poultry farmer telling an uncooperative chicken, "come here or I'll break your neck and stick it where the sun don't shine!" I've tried different ways of getting that bag of organ goodies out of the chicken cavity. Besides my usual method of shutting my eyes and reaching in blindly, then slinging the disgusting mess into the sink; I've tried rinsing it out with the force of cold water, not very effective. I've even tried using tongs but that requires that you keep your eyes open. Heck, I've even hung it like a pinata & smacked the !!@%?! out of it. I suggest wearing protective eye wear if you try this method.
Well, I for one am not going to do it anymore. Yes, me "Michelle, the middle child peace-maker who goes with the flow" rebels! I will no longer stick my hand into that slimy, cold, samonella laden poultry cavity. I now cook all my chickens and turkeys stuffed; because that little pouch of grossness stays right where it was unceremoniously placed. Ok, so Martha Stewart I'm not. But hey, at least I'm not looking at any jail time. : )
5 comments:
Michelle,
I just got done reading about the chicken. And am sitting here laughing...Hayley is looking at me funny..Did you ever just turn it up side down and shake? I have done that before..But most of my turkeys have had a string attached and I just pull. So i prolly aint much help. I just had to comment on the whole thing cuz it made me laugh. I am sorry. Sara
I must admit, I eat the neck...well the meat that is in the neck....and I boil the gizzards down and use them in gravy. My Dad actually eats the gizzards...just salt and peppers 'em and dives right in.
Sissy,how many gizzards are there in one bird? Do they actually sell them in a container other than at Thanksgiving ? LOL, and I know there is meat in the neck, but OMG, it's just not worth the work to me. Just like I won't bother with the little claws on a lobster... Lots of work for a nibble : ) Guess I just like instant gratification
It does seem like there are ALOT of gizzards in there!LOL. I would say on average there are about 7 globs of stuff I pull out. Pain to clean isnt it? I usually eat the neck meat while I am cooking...a nibble here, a nibble there. I know what you mean about not having the patience to dig the meat out....I do the same with the crab/lobster claws too! And I hear it is the best part,lol. There is a science to getting the claw meat out quick and painless....when I figure it out, I'll share!
THANK YOU Michelle...I so badly needed that laugh!
Post a Comment