Friday, March 19, 2004

Piano Lessons or Brownies?

girl_scout_with_box_cookies_md_wht.gif Music has been a part of my life since I was very young.  At the age of six I joined the Brownies.  When I told my Mom it was time to buy me a uniform, she asked me one question.  "Michelle, do you want to be a Brownie or take piano lessons?" I distinctly remember chirping, "Brownies" but I began taking piano lessons shortly after. 

Maybe it was piano lessons instead of Brownies because my Mom believed in the importance of having a music education; or perhaps she wanted to live her life vicariously through mine.  My Mom was an accomplished pianist who possessed a beautiful singing voice.  Once upon a time her dream was to become a professional opera singer, but sometimes dreams change.  I have wonderful memories of listening to my Mom play the piano, Clemente Sonatina was my favorite.  She also played the guitar and we had many sing-a-longs.  "Blowing In The Wind" and "If I Had A Hammer" were sung with enthusiasm.  I always aspired to sing like my Mom.  When I sang in talent shows, it was her face that I searched for in the crowd.  I believe one of the greatest gifts my Mom ever gave me, was her love and passion for music.  Sing from the heart, she used to say.  I once had dreams of singing professionally, didn't we all? but my sights were set on Broadway.  However, like my Mom my dreams changed too.  Or maybe I was too afraid to follow them....

So someday when my daughter asks to join the Brownies, I will ask her one question. "Sammi, do you want to be a Brownie or take piano lessons?"  I already know her answer to that question.:::smile:::   Oh, and my reason for having her take piano lessons instead of joining the Brownies?  It is the same reason that my Mom surely had years ago.  To save her from having to wear those goofy uniforms....

21 comments:

Anonymous said...

Cute. :)

Anonymous said...

This is so sweet. I have always wanted to learn to play the piano. I love watching those people who know how to play well. It's such a beautiful talent and something you can share with your children. Selling cookies can't compare to that!!!

Anonymous said...

Awww! Sweet! Have a great weekend! Beckie

Anonymous said...

You just named 2 of my favorite songs. =) I love Bob Dylon and Peter, Paul and Mary.

Wish I could hear you sing. Perhaps you should do an audio entry soon. =)

XO ~ Bridgett

Anonymous said...

This was a really nice entry...I like the part about searching for your mother's face in the crowd...
~Tina

Anonymous said...

Lovely trip down memory lane. My mom was the Brownie Leader. I hated it. I wanted piano lessons all my life. Never got 'em. Still would love to learn to play. I learned to play guitar because that's what was available.

Sing for us Songbird! Let's hear you play piano too!

Anonymous said...

Your mother sounds like a very talented lady, must have been quite an inspiration to you growing up. But but Brownies are so cute! Maybe like you did, she can have both? If she's willing of course, lol.

Anonymous said...

That`s a great story, Michelle, thks for sharing it!!
Vince

Anonymous said...

Freee: picturing you as a Brownie. Hey, you think you could get me a deal on some thin mints? lol...btw: never too late to learn : )
Bridgette: "The answer my friend is blowing in the wind..." Love those songs still today.
Tina: And I always found her face there : )
Muse: My Mom was very talented & still an inspiration to me.
Karen: It really is never to let to learn....
Debt, Melodee" beckie: awww....thanks : )

Anonymous said...

Freee: I used to know how to make WAVS, can those be inserted in here? Anyways, when I figure that out & when I have a baby-free moment, I do think I'll sing & play for you all... : )

Anonymous said...

How nice it would be to have musical talent..me absoulty none, but I make up for it in appreciation. :-) ~lila~

Anonymous said...

Piano lessons over Brownies -- I vote YES to that!!! I wish I could afford to have my children take piano lessons since we have a huge piano just sitting here waiting to be played beautifully (we got it for free from our local school). My daughter can play certain songs just by ear, so I know she would benefit from lessons. Oh well, another time I guess. Your mother sounds absolutely wonderful! You are truly blessed!
Hugs and love, Lisa

Anonymous said...

lol that was cute. I never learned how to play anything or participate in any kind of sport or brownies and i really regret it now. hope your having a good weekend.
http://journals.aol.com/mstennee22/MsTennee22sJournal
Mel

Anonymous said...

The big question is: are the brownie uniforms worse than those horrific unisex tux shirts and badly sewn floor-length black skirts that we had to wear in orchestra? How about the MC Hammer pants that the guys had to wear in vocal jazz? My dad gave us the love of singing and folk music, and my mom the dedication learned by taking music lessons. My brother and I both grew up to be professional musicians, and although that is a bit unusual, we pass on our love to many students every week!

Anonymous said...

Ah, Michelle! I loved this entry. Brings back memories of my mom and me. My mama can play so beautifully. My music is nothing like hers. She plays by ear, never one lesson. My brother took piano but I wasn't able to :( I feel I could have done well with the lessons. I think music is a very important part of life. The core of the soul to me. Hmm, I never wanted to be a brownie, but I thought the uniforms were very prestigious at the time :P

Anonymous said...

Hey now...the uniform wasnt THAT bad,lol! I took piano lessons and quit because I wanted to play outside with my friends =( I wish my parents had made me continue.

Anonymous said...

P.S. My orchid is official dead. You win. :(

Anonymous said...

::smile:: Let's face it, piano lessons are probably far more valuable. And just look at what it did for your lyrical style as a poet. You make music with words, hon. Now get out the recording equipment and give us a private show - how much of your piano lessons do you still remember? LOL Chopsticks, anyone? :P

Anonymous said...

sooo, you can sing? how lovely. I grew up with my mom playing piano, and just me my mom would sing and play together "The Rose" and other favorite "70's greats, she also had a piano book of '80's songs lol Christian music like "Amazing Grace" and "The Ol' Rugged Cross"
and Christmas music like "O Holy Night" love that song. ahhhh I could go on...but, I will spare you. I am already introducing my children to music...it's so important!

Anonymous said...

Hey, you were the lucky one! Oh, how i wanted art lessons.....but, i got piano lessons. Still can't carry a tune to this day! Did we have the same mother???? lol

Anonymous said...

Hey Michelle, I'm so glad that's what you remember...... the real reason was not the uniform, but in order for you to be a Brownie, I had to become a den mother. There was no room for you, and I had no time to be a den mother. And because you showed such a talent for music, I felt that this was one thing I could do for you. Remember, when there was no room at the inn for Jesus, something greater happened. Love, mom.