These days we try to avoid eating out with the toddler's, with the exception of Burger King. Last night in a moment of insanity we decided to eat at a real restuarant. We went to Long Horns, a family oriented steak house. We waited a half hour to be seated, so by 6pm the kids were starving and cranky. Not a good combo. Going out to eat with toddler's is always interesting. Their attention span only allows for appetizers or dessert, never both. I don't enjoy my meal when they are in tow, because I know that at any moment peacefulness can turn into chaos. Ummmm, check please? On the upside, I find that our meals ALWAYS come out faster when we have them with us.
Last night wasn't too bad. Sammi enjoyed the garnishes on her plate more than her meal. Yes, we paid $3.99 so she could eat orange wedges. While we ate she played with her drink, but hey, at least she was quiet. Mikey was a bit more rambunctious. He decided he didn't want help drinking from his souvenier cup, so not wanting to risk a scene, I decided to let him try. He didn't do too bad, I figure he only dumped about 25% of it down the front of him. After eating his grilled cheese & french fries with gusto, he decided that the plate would make a great hat. Quite a fashion statement with the chocolate milk soaked shirt. Sammi tried to be a big help to the waitress. When she was done with her plate, she held it up and yelled out "Hey lady....." We quietly told her that wasn't nice and she was being too loud. So a few minutes later we hear in a very low voice, "Hey lady...."
Ah yes, so all in all it wasn't so horrible. No terrible scenes, no sympathetic looks from surrounding diners. We managed to keep the chaos at our table to a minimum. I don't think the waitress has children, because before she gave us the check she said.... "Dessert anyone?"
20 comments:
Ah...the memories. I remember these days. I would come out of the restaurants with indegestion from shoving the food in so fast because we never had much time with the little ones. Your picture is adorable. It goes by so quickly...
Awww, sweet memory you'll have forever now. I love that soft "hey lady" voice. Reminds me of a time when we were at Friendly's with two other families. All the kids got to sit up at the counter and the youngest one next to me called for the WOMAN behind the counter, really loud - in a sing-song tone - 'Ohhh waiter!'
Aren't toddlers wonderful!?! At least you arent scared to take them. Some are. I took mine everywhere when they were tiny. God bless, Beckie
OMG, I can TOTALLY relate to this scenario!! I have a saying that if a restaurant doesn't have a drivethrough, it's someplace I won't be going with my kids! And, don't you just hate it how kids drink for a "big person" cup? They have to tilt the entire cup over so that they wear half of it before even getting one sip out of the straw! Ugghhh!
Hugs and love, Lisa
LOL that you get your meal faster when you have the kids with you....have to find the silver lining, right? Last time I took Riley out to lunch, she wore most of her apple juice....so happily...You did pretty well with your two....
~Tina
LOL "Hey Lady..."
I don't know how you do it. I think I am being traumatized by just my ONE 2 year old. eating out is a rare thing for us too. The first half hour is ok...the last. yea, we should just say.... "just give us boxes for our food and the check when the food finally arrives, please." but, I guess it's good experience for them....
I have to say you came out pretty unscathed this time! This dinner sounds positively a miracle, lol.
Children rule the universe, what can I say. At least they saw fit to relatively behave, to your big relief, I'm sure! =P
Wow!! Brings back memories!
Thanks,
Vince
Oh....the good old days when their ramblings are still cute and a low voiced, "Hey Lady!" can bring about hysterical fits of laughter. These are beautiful years, so gald to see you have a wonderful sense of humor during this time. A lot of moms used to see this time as torture...it's not, it's fantastic! ~Peachy
I remember the Days!!!
that is so cute...'Hey Lady'... Your kids are Great!!
:) Kate
LOL ~ Oh, Michelle...you have such a way with words. BUT ARE YOU INSANE??? =) Two toddlers in a restaurant full of people? I'd be having palpitations before the meal even arrived. LOL After Parker came into our lives, restaurants became a thing of the past.
Although I must confess...the last time we went out with him, on my birthday in December, he wasn't too bad. There was just a whole lot of crackers and sugar on the floor around his high chair. =)
Awwww, that entry brings back memories! I had 3 girls, who are now 17,15,13. Not to much space inbetween, and resturants were an adventure to say the least! But we managed to get thru them, just to get out of the house. Hmmmp! Funny now when I look back at it all! But with kids in tow, what else can you do!
HEY LADY.....hey lady......Funny!!!
Vince
Hey Lady...hey lady, hehehee, too cute.
I think I've blocked out most of my taking Dallis out to eat as a toddler adventures. Most of the time she wouldn't eat and we had to bring stuff home.
Actually, she still does that!
Love, Penny
I love to here stories like this about children. It always brings a smile to my face even on the darkest of days. Glad it didn't go as bad as it could have...sounds like you have a pretty normal set of toddlers....:o)
Mel
Teheheh... gotta love Sammi's "Hey Lady..." When she wants something, she asks for it. No wallflower there, mom. What a cutie!! Eating out with little ones is definitely difficult. I always get tickled at family members who invite us out to eat and just can't understand WHY we would turn them down. They have NO idea how hard it is to keep two kids in their seats. Jacy once threw her sippy cup at someone's head in the middle of a restaurant! We're lucky we didn't get sued! LoL
LOL! I can relate...I have 2 toddlers myself. Going out to eat is like enduring an Olympic event. You want the gold (food) but to get to it...you have to have amazing endurance.
=D I know what you mean!After years of not having a babysitter, we finally started taking Stephen w/out to loud places like..Apple Bee's etc.. (we have a long horns too) I take a back pack filled with his favorite books and home made velcro games. (I can e-mail a picture of those games if you'd like) He LOVES catalogs. (just like me) So with all of that, he's usually pretty content. Believe me, he's hard to control but this works :) loved this entry
lol i love it, my 2 year old is the same way...i think he has ocd thou, he doesnt like the plates being removed and has to have his "dip it" meaning ketchup or some thing to dip his sandwich and fries in, and i cant get him to eat anything other than cheese and hotdogs mashed up right now, so if that isnt on the menu, we cant eat there :)
:D he he (LOL) that was so funny and so darn cute.
Post a Comment