Wednesday, March 10, 2004

And Then There Were Three

While the toddler's are playing happily in their bedroom, I have a few minutes of me time.... So here I am at my journal.  Hey, it was either this or washing the dishes, lol.   I raised my oldest son Spencer as an "only" child.  I think it was a lonely existence for him.  When he was younger, he used to ask me for a baby brother or sister.  One day when he was only three years old, he asked me where babies came from.  Being a first time Mom and not expecting to have this talk for at least another few years, I hesitated.  Then I said.... "Well, when two people love each other, they can have a baby."  Spencer immediately hugged me tightly and said, "I love you Mommy." After laughing, I told him "Ooooooooh, well I love you too, but it has to be a Mommy and Daddy who love each other."  That memory still makes me smile today.  Where do the years go?  How did he become a young man on the cusp of adulthood?  

One of the sad feelings I have about Spencer being an only child, an only child from divorced parents, is that he has no one to reminisce with about his early childhood days.  He doesn't have a sibling to say, "Remember when....?"  Spencer did finally get his long awaited siblings.  He was 14 & 15 years old when the babies were born.  He adores them & the feeling is definitely mutual.  If he doesn't pick them up and say "hello" when he comes home from school, they cry.  My wish for my children is although they are years apart, that they will always remain close.  When I am old, I want to hear them talking about "Remember when...."

Before the babies arrived,  I was worried that Spencer might feel jealous or displaced.   But those worries were put to rest the day he told me....."Mom, even when I'm having the worst day at school, everything is ok again when I come home and see the babies smiling faces." 

My boy is going to be a great dad someday.....

20 comments:

Anonymous said...

This is so beautiful!!! And don't feel sad about Spencer not having someone to reminisce his childhood with. He has two wonderful little siblings who will fill that hole. And the picture is wonderful. I have 2 girls and 1 boy and my son always wanted a brother. Oh, well, I used to send him down my neighbors when he'd start in on that one!!!

Anonymous said...

Beautiful entry! I have those thoughts too now about my 3 year old, who will he have the memories with? That is such a sweet memory how he hugged you when you told him how babies are made, too precious. I bet it felt AWESOME to write that last sentence, what a great kid. :)
~Mary

Anonymous said...

I just wanted to let you know that I thought this was a great entry. I got tears in my eyes. My sister and I were 17 and 15 years old when our youngest sister was born. Her birth brought alot of happiness to our house. Although there is a big age difference, I love that kid to pieces. She's great! Now I'm getting all teary eyed again!

Anonymous said...

Awwwwwwwwwwwwwww!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Vince

Anonymous said...

Spencer's an incredible person. To think he's headed to adulthood with such sensitivity brings tears to my eyes. Beautiful picture too [even his boots on the couch - hehe]. This entry brought tears to my eyes. You're right, he's going to be a great dad someday. We need great dads in the world! Thanks for raising a wonderful son. :)

Anonymous said...

I used to worry about Hayden adjusting the twins, she was almost 7 when they were born and it was a big change for her. Now I can see that she loves them to pieces. It is so sweet to she an older child love a little one isn't it! It makes me feel good to know that the babies will always have her.
Stacy

Anonymous said...

You have done a wonderful job raising Spencer. And let me tell you, as an only child for eleven years before my only sibling--a brother--was born, it's not wishful thinking to hope that they grow close even with the gap in years. It is possible, and with the love and affection that they share, perhaps even inevitable. =)

Anonymous said...

Wow. How Great Is THAT!! But Spencer didn't get to be who his is without YOU. Amazing!!!
I think 'Remember When....' is so important to me also.
Yes, I agree Spencer WILL be a Great Dad Someday.
Kate

Anonymous said...

My son was an only child and I can relate 100% with what you just recounted. Your last comment was my exact sentiment about Steve. Sure enough, he is a GREAT dad! If I were a little kid, I'd want him for my dad!! What joy you'll feel when you watch him someday look into the eyes of his own child! It is a magical moment.

Anonymous said...

this is so touching....your family is very special! thanks for sharing!

Anonymous said...

Aww, Michelle. This entry really touched my heart. Being an only child myself, I can relate to how Spencer felt. And you're right, he WILL make an excellent father someday. Most kids his age would want nothing to do with babies. You've done well with him!

BTW...I love those fat little baby feet. =)

XO ~ Bridgett

Anonymous said...

Aww , how sweet! God bless your family! They are definetely keepers! God bless, Beckie

Anonymous said...

Now THAT is just sweetness itself! He is definitely gonna make a great dad someday and it's because he has a great mom! :-)

Gregg

Anonymous said...

Michelle...I love that picture so much! Great entry!
You know I relate to it...I think that babies can really soften our teens....
~Tina

Anonymous said...

What an absolutely touching pic of Spencer and your baby! I agree, he will make a good daddy one day, just by looking at that pic, you can see it! I am so glad he is able to share in this experience with you, and it can't hurt to have 2 extra loving arms to help with them! Thanks for sharing!
Hugs and love, Lisa

Anonymous said...

WOW! What a sweet thing for him to say. He most definitely will be a great dad some day.

Anonymous said...

That is a touching story, and even though they are years apart it will still be something he will be thankful for in years to come. I am an only child and since the death of my mother I have wished I had a sister or brother to remininsce with. Have a good rest of your weekend. :)
Mel

Anonymous said...

Awww, that's so sweet! Great photo too :-) Martha ~Imaginary New Life

Anonymous said...

What a very sweet picture!

Anonymous said...

"Mom, even when I'm having the worst day at school, everything is ok again when I come home and see the babies smiling faces."
Aww-What a sweet guy you've got there. Nope, he hasn't missed out on anything..he's got it all right there in that picture! Nice lookin' fella too! Yeah, he'll be a great dad!