Monday, November 24, 2003

Holiday Reminder PART 2

"Why did you stay?" has to be the #1 question people ask a woman who has stayed in an abusive relationship.  My own Dad asked it.  And there is no one easy answer. My answer was "because".  Because I felt I could change him, because of our son, because of my religion, because I felt I was expected to stay, because I loved my sister-in-law, because I lived a comfortable life financially, because I didn't want to lose my friends, because of foolish pride, because of shame.  Because, because, because....  I think the universal because is "Because I'm afraid no one will believe me".  Unfortunately that fear became my reality.  Sadly my oldest brother did not believe me.  Where did my defender, my partner in crime during our childhood go to?  Instead of defending me against lies spewed by others, he chose to nod his head in agreement. 

The strain of our relationship came to a head shortly after the birth of my 2 yr old daughter.  There were no flowers, no cards, no visits to the hospital, no phone calls or emails to congratulate me.  Only silence.  Two weeks passed before I found the courage to confront him and ask what I did wrong.  I told him that I was hurt that he ignored the birth of my daughter.  His reply?  "Get over it".  Emotionally charged e-mails were exchanged, but nothing was resolved.  Once again silence reigned. We have not spoken or written a word to each other since.  I thought that eventually bad feelings would blow over, but 2 years later that silence only grows louder....      

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I just don't get it...sorry. I don't get him..

Anonymous said...

Either do I babyshark, either do I....(sigh)

Anonymous said...

I'm new to your journal and I found myself sitting here crying. Why? I too had a 'because' type marriage, I have an older half bro who I ADORED for years now he too won't speak to me, hasn't for years now. I tried, tried and tried ~ I still send Christmas cards with pictures and I never get a response. It is heartbreaking isn't it!
Monica