Wednesday, November 26, 2003

Sweet Things In Life

This morning I peeled a banana for the 2 babies to eat.  Sammi broke off the top half of the banana.  It was ripe and unblemished.  As I continued to peel the rest of the banana, I discovered that the banana had brown patches. As I gave Mikey this less-than-perfect piece of fruit I was reminded of a fond memory.  When growing up none of us wanted the brown part of the banana.  But mom would always say, "the brown part of the banana is the sweetest part."  

I'm thankful for the sweet things in life,

I'm thankful to be my husband's wife.

I'm thankful for the sweet smells of my babies after a bath,

I'm thankful that my teenage son doesn't need my help in math.

I'm thankful for.....

A friend, not a telemarketer, calling,

The sound of my old car not stalling.

The soft feel of my bunny's fur,

The content sound of my cats purr.

The roof (although leaking) over my head,

Warm flannel sheets keeping me warm in bed.

Food in the fridge, plenty to eat,

Enough money to make ends meet.

The laughter & giggles of children at play,

Waking up in the morning; a brand new day.

All these sweet things in life warm my heart.

And remember...

The brown part of a banana is the sweetest part. 

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

Written by Michelle...(lol, darn 2,500 character limit) Yikes, I get frustrated trying to stay within the limits, but maybe it's a good thing. Prevents me from babbling on...
and on....
and on....

Anonymous said...

You wrote that? It's terrific.....I though you were quoting some poet! Well, you are a poet:) That picture is too cute:)

Anonymous said...

I love the sweet picture of the sweet moment.
Tina

Anonymous said...

Michelle, THAT should be in print on a card, girl! I loved it!

Anonymous said...

ps:: loved the picture too!

Anonymous said...

Hi! Just wanted to let you know that I love your journal! Terrific picture for today's entry! We all have a picture somewhere of ourselves with some sort of food smeared all over our faces, don't we? My mom has the stereotypical 1 of me with spaghetti sauce on my face.....& that was only last week!!! HeeHeeHee! Keep up the great work!
~Liz~ (aka "Aunt Nub" http://journals.aol.com/montaukny/AuntNubsEmptyHead)

Anonymous said...

Hi Michelle ~ Great entry - lovely poem and cute-as-can-be picture! Happy Holidays!

Anonymous said...

this is really a nice list. I enjoyed it....john

Anonymous said...

yes! I agree the brown part of the banana IS the sweetest part, I used to tell my little girl it was banana sugar, ofcourse with the mentioning of the word "sugar" it seemed to make things taste better. great entry!! what nice little reminders. :)

Anonymous said...

btw! cute picture of your little one!! adorable!!!

Anonymous said...

You're such a great poet!! I love this. And yes, the brown part of a banana is the sweetest part. :)