I began writing poetry when I was 12. One Thanksgiving all my siblings & I were reminiscing about our childhood. We were having fun talking about the times we were bad & the punishments that followed, when my Mom chimed in,"Don't you remember the good times?" ....That question was the inspiration for this poem.
Dear Mom and Dad,
I remember the good times, they're not so long ago.
Allowances were a dime, sled rides in the snow.
I remember....
Dad at the piano playing "Paper Roses."
Mom always there to kiss bruised knee's and noses.
Summer cook-outs, eating chicken by the tons.
I didn't want to stop until Dad was done.
Car rides, songs, my favorite request.
Sing "Now Is The Hour" sung as a duet.
Toothfairies and Easter Bunnies, all roles played so well.
Lots of laughter, funny jokes at supper time to tell.
Trips to the beach, running in the sand.
Afraid of the waves, I'd hold Dad's hand.
Mom's singing voice what a beautiful sound,
She'd play the guitar as we danced around.
Sleepy Sunday mornings, going off to church.
Sitting in the willow tree upon my favorite perch.
You came to all our concerts, track meets and the rest.
Sour notes, win or lose for you we tried our best.
I especially remember Christmas time; the fun I always had
Decorating the Christmas tree, "Hey, where's Dad?"
Stockings filled, new pajama's, the smell of tourque' pies.
Presents surround the Christmas tree, stacked high up to the sky.
I thank you for all the memories, and all the mean to me.
Your laughter and love, the greatest gifts;
Will be your legacy....
Love, Michelle (s0ngbird)
10 comments:
Michelle-
That was just beautiful.
Tina
ahhh so so so goood! I loved that little memory trip. got any more poems to share? :)
Michelle, that was great! I want to be adopted into your family. :)
What a beautiful poem to your parents! Thank you for sharing it with us!
Man, this is really nice Michelle. Holding dad's hand at the waves...all of it.
it seems you have a wonderful childhood. have you ever written your memoirs? it would be nice to keep those memories intact and perhaps pass it down to your children and grandchildren someday. =)
Allowance was a dime? Dang.. you got jipped! ::smile::
This is truly lovely, songbird. I adore the picture. But what the heck is tourque' pie?
LOL Slo....yup, a dime!! And sometimes I was gypped & they forgot to pay me (came from a big family) : ) I also used to babysit my 2 younger sisters during the summer for 10.00 a week. What a deal, huh? And tourque' (it's the french name for "pork pie")
$10 a week... you should have called the child labor authorities. That's scandalous! ::smile::
Hi S0ngbird,
They should have paid you more.....God knows what a handful we were! From the good one! lol Frogg
Post a Comment