Tuesday, March 1, 2005

We Found Mickey!

Not sure I can condense 10 days of vacation into a few paragraphs, but I'm going to try.  : )

Bags finally were packed, glasses repaired, new crickets bought for the turtles, and the *no hot water* mystery was solved.  We hit the road one hour later than we intended at 7pm.  We had driven only about one mile, when a little voice in the back chirped, "Are we almost there yet?"  And so began our awesome adventure.....

The first night we drove until 3am, we stopped to sleep in Delaware.  Already the snow was almost non-existent.  The next day we awoke with our spirits as bright as the warm sunshine.  We traveled for 16 hours that day, couldn't believe how well behaved the kids were.  I incredulously asked myself, "Are these MY kids?"  We had trouble finding lodging that night; we finally found a place to rest our heads at 2am in Townsend Georgia.  I wish we hadn't....  

That hotel ended up being a house of horrors.  I knew it was bad when we opened the door to the room, but desperate for sleep, Mike talked me into staying.  I checked the sheets and they looked clean, so we all fell into an exhausted slumber.  At 8am we woke up, and it was then that the full horror of the room was exposed.   I swear, there should have been yellow police tape up indicating that the room was a crime scene.  There was lots of blood on the bedspread, blood behind the toilet, blood and other unidentifiable stains on the box springs, the filth on the bedframes was unimaginable.  Cigarette butts & hair were on the floor, the shower was disgusting and the carpet was so stained it felt gummy when stepped on.  Yes, all this for $78.00... Literally sick to our stomachs and itching we immediately vacated the room.  I complained at the desk, but that story is for another entry.  Needless to say, I will be making a formal complaint to someone who hopefully will care.

Around 2pm on Sunday, we arrived in Deltona FLorida.  First stop was to my brother Danny's house, his daughter was having her 15th birthday at 4pm.  It was great to see them, wish we could have spent more time together.  I  miss them all so much.... That night my folks surprised us by making a reservation in a suite at the Holiday Express near them.  It was one large room with a sleeper sofa and wonderously clean. The first good nights rest since we hit the road.  Thank you Mom and Dad, we've kept the receipt so we'll remember our gift when our birthdays and Christmas rolls around.  : )   Monday morning we went to Cypress Gardens with my parents.  Had hoped to meet up with my Aunt and Uncle, but my Aunt was sick with the flu/strept throat.  Couldn't believe how much the gardens had changed, the kids had alot of fun there. 

Tuesday morning we headed off to Orlando.  Mickey Mouse here we come!  We stayed at the All-star Movie resort and though the rooms were small, they were very nice.  Disney did not disappoint, the grounds at the resort were fantastic.  We spent Tuesday at the Magic Kingdom; and although I have been there many times before, it was exciting to experience it through a small childs eye.  The highlight of the day was when Sammi finally met Mickey Mouse.  After her much anticipated meeting she asked, "Can we go home now?"  We stayed until the park closed that night enjoying the shows and light parade.

Wednesday we headed to MGM.  There were some shows that the little ones did enjoy, but many of the 3-D shows (even the children's ones) were a bit too intense for them.  We went on one ride that seemed pretty benign. "The Greatest Movie Ride Ever."  ...Let's just say that Sammi now has an intense fear of aliens.  I'm afraid she might remember that experience as strongly as her meeting with Mickey Mouse.  Poor kid...  I went on Terror Tower twice.  Once with Spence and once with Mike.  I've gotta fess up that I screamed like a girl.  Oh wait, I am a girl, so I guess it isn't THAT embarrassing.  On Thursday, we stayed at the resort and just enjoyed the amenities.  We spent the day exploring the resort and swimming.  Because I forgot to pack my bathing suit, I bought one at a local Wal-marts the day before.   A word of warning to women who have 30+ pounds to  lose. DON'T buy a black and white bathing suit.  I looked like a holstein cow, truly a very moo-ving experience, lol.   

Friday we had planned on returning to Cypress Gardens (we had a free pass to return).  Again, I had hoped to meet up with my Aunt and Uncle but fate had other plans.  We awoke Friday morning to the steady beat of rain and Sammi burning-up from a fever.  Her eyes were glazed and her usual pale skin was pink from the heat.  When I asked her if she was sick, she said "I don't know what happened.  I saw that alien show and went to sleep.  Now I'm sick."  All plans cancelled.  

Everyone had a wonderful time and this vacation has filled us with memories that will last a life time.  It was tough leaving the glorious warmth of Florida knowing we were heading back into snow.   But, it was time to go home....  Before we left the state we stopped to see my foster sister Missi and her family.  Although the visit was very brief, it was great to see her.  Another person in my life that I miss....

We traveled until 2am, stopping to sleep in Florence South Carolina.  Sammi vomited thru the wee hours of the morning, finally falling asleep around 4am.  When we woke up at 9am, she felt a bit better.  Unfortunately Mikey began to get sick.... He began to vomit Saturday night at 9:30pm.  Amazingly, both kids were real troopers and didn't complain once.  At 2am, we crossed the CT border.  Although road weary, :::we had been on the road for 16 hours by that point::: Mike and I looked at each other and decided we should just shoot for home.  Aside from getting a bit tangled up in Boston due to detours, we made it home at 4am on Sunday morning.  Mikey woke up as we drove up the street to our house.  He asked if we were back at our *old home*.  When we told him we were, he said "Good old home."  Out of the mouths of babes....

Yes, it's good to be home.  Well, sort of.  We now all have upper respiratory infections, and can't say I'm loving the blizzard  we are having today.   This storm has dumped a foot of snow on us.   Hoping the old wives tale, "March in like a lion, out like a lamb" is true.  I'm so ready for Spring....      

 

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

You drove to Florida and back with two toddlers??? They'll be no Purgatory for you, Ma'am, you'll be getting an express ticket.

Anonymous said...

welcome back!  you are brave for driving it with the little ones!

~JerseyGirl
http://journals.aol.com/cneinhorn/WonderGirl

Anonymous said...

Good trip and yet not so good. Wish it had gone better. I'd been ticked to wake up to a room in that condition. Hope you get your money back or something to make up for your discomfort. I can't believe they'd dare rent a room like that. Good Old Mickey Mouse!! Saved the day, thank goodness. Hugs, hon. *Barb*

Anonymous said...

Your pictures are absolutely ADORABLE!  So that's what a child's face looks like when seeing Mickey!!  I feel bad, I won't take my children to Florida because they are too far apart in age and I keep waiting for Emma to get a bit older, and here you are bringing not ONE, but TWO children under the age of 4 to Disney World!  I give you all the credit in the world woman!!!  The trip sounded wonderful, well, except for the poor wee ones getting sick.  It always seems to happen that way doesn't it?  The Motel Bates in Georgia sounded downright SCARY though!  YIKES!  DNA evidence anyone?  GROSS!  I love to come home to my own home too, so I would be saying the same thing as Mikey, "Good old home".
Hugs and love, Lisa
P.S.:  Enough with the snow already huh?!?!  It's here too!  :(

Anonymous said...

Now I remember why we didn't travel too much with the kids at that age.  Two pukin' kids was never my idea of a vacation! ( Ok, so I'm a wimp.)

But I distinctly recall my oldest being sandwiched between kids 2 and 3  in car seats, while one grabbed fistfuls of her hair an giggled and the grabbed whatever he could. Five hours of GRAB, SHRIEK GIGGLE all the way to Grandmas! Throw in a few "I'm hungry" 's and "I gotta go potty, NOW!" and you get the idea.

How did we ever survive?

Hope you got lots of pictures of the good times. The bad will fade.

Kathy

Anonymous said...

I  remember how ready you were for spring last year, you were covered up with mud. I hope it isn't so muddy this year!
It sounds like a lovely time, I have been to disney world, nice place.  I really loved the Animal Kingdom. :)
so sorry that sammi got sick, those darn aliens!!  why don't they just leave her alone.

Your kids are sooo adorable!!

Anonymous said...

Wow!  What a wild ride.  Sounds like you all had a great time.  So sorry to hear about the sickies. :(  Those dang aliens.  The pictures are precious.  Memories to last a lifetime.  But all snow aside, it's nice to have you back to "good old home."

Anonymous said...

Hey Michelle!  WELCOME BACK!   We got some of that snow in PA.  The pictures are awesome.  My kids went to Disney World for the first time ever January 1, 2004.  That was my 5th time there.  It was a fun trip!  Seeing it through the eyes of a child is priceless.  
The motel sounded AWFUL!!  We went to hotel down south (will remain nameless) and found condoms everywhere in the room.  We made beeline to front desk and checked right back out.  My in-laws live in Florida and break the trip down to 2 days when they come up to PA to visit.  They stay in a really nice hotel in Florence, South Carolina.  Nice to see you back.  I have had adventures with Grandma for a week now.  Go check out my journal to catch up when you have a spare few minutes with a good cup of coffee!  Again..welcome back, Michelle!
http://journals.aol.com/motoxmom72/ginasweigtlossjourney

Gina

Anonymous said...

First off....the comment about the black and white bathing suit had me spewing a drink of water out my nose.  LMAO!  

Secondly, I'm so glad you all had a good time.  I still can't believe you drove that far with two toddlers.  You guys really are my heroes.  I'm already dreading a cross-country flight in May with my two little ones.  ::sigh::  

By the way, I love the picture of Sammi with the Wizard hat and glasses on.  She looks adorable.  =)

Glad you're home!!  We've missed you!

Love you,
Bridgett

Anonymous said...

I've never had great luck with aliens myself....; )

Your vacation sounds wonderful!  Your pictures are so good.  I am really glad you got to go...

~Tina

Anonymous said...

So glad you are back!!  Really was thinking of you and that long drive.  We are all too familiar with the 967 miles to Ohio ... can't imagine if we had to go towards Boston!  We are so close to Deltona!!  You were like 30 minutes from where I live in Lake Mary Sanford area!  Sounds like you had a nice vacation all in all other than the drive.  Wow- scary hotel thing but glad you found place to rest.  That drive can be so so dangerous!  
Lisa  

Anonymous said...

It is always a genuine pleasure to read you journal entries!!! You have a great view on life and on your family! Thanks again.