Winter still has a bitter hold on us, as does the influenza....
Monday night a snow/ice storm blew in.... only dropped about 6 inches of snow, but the snow glazed over with ice, very heavy stuff. Because of the icing conditions, the roads were covered in patches of black ice, causing many accidents. And although there was a road advisory saying, "stay off the roads if possible", they didn't cancel school. Go figure. So, unfortunately Spencer had an accident with his car on the way to school. I warned him to go s-l-o-w, but I'm sure his inexperience and haste to get to school dictated otherwise. :::first mistake::: As he was driving to school, he hit a patch of ice and began to slide. Instinctively, he hit his brakes :::second mistake:::. The car behind him rear ended his car and sent him into a snowbank.
The good news in all this is... he was hit by his best friend. And as luck would have it, his friend's dad is an auto-body repairman by trade. And luckiest of all? No bodily injuries, just some shaky nerves and a few dented fenders.... The next snow storm is blowing in on Friday. Predicted accumulation for this storm is 4 - 6 inches. Hoping that Spence has learned his lesson, and though he swears he was driving slow, I have a feeling that our definition of *slow* is different. He drives *I-still-wanna-look-cool-hey-look-there's-that-girl-that-I-like* slow, and I drive *Please-no-accidents-hey-jerk-get-off-my tail* slow.
The two little ones and I are still fighting the influenza. Day 13, and still no relief. We are infected from the neck up. Besides all having a cough that would make any chain-smoker proud, Mikey has conjunctivitis in both eyes, Sammi has developed an ear infection, and I have a sinus infection. We are all on medications, though I don't think that this cough will go away until Spring.
Speaking of Spring, it's only 10 days away. But there are no signs of Spring here in New England, yet... The temps are still below freezing (it's 21 degrees out today) and a foot of snow still covers the ground, with more to come this weekend. Where art thou, Spring?
....Fingers crossed that you don't forget us.
Quote of the day: "Autumn arrives in early morning, but Spring at the close of a winter day." ~~Elizabeth Bowen
4 comments:
The one advantage to all being sick together is....nobody feels good enough to wreak havoc and make Mommy NUTS!
This too shall pass. Hope you guys are all better soon.
Kathy
Hi Michelle!! Wow... I haven't seen an ice storm or snow in 2 years. I am kind of starting to miss it. I wish we could have a snow day. Maybe we will get some hurricane days but they are a wee bit frightening compared to the snow storms I've lived thru. I hate to drive in snow storms though and I am so glad Spencer wasn't hurt!! How lucky is that to have hit his best friend and his dad is an auto body repairman! Thank you Lord!! Woo hoo!! I know you are so ready for spring! It's chilly down here this week and we had a gray rainy day but can't complain. Soon enough it will be ungodly heat. Doesn't this Florida gunk suck?!! I coughed for two hours on and off b4 I could go to sleep lastnight!! I think I'm going to have to break down and go to the doctor soon but I have no idea if they can do much for this.
Lisa
Oh....I'm so sorry you're going through all this sickness. My family pretty much had it the whole months of December and January. Finally, we're all starting to feel better. It's a stubborn bug, no doubt.
You know...it was 71 degrees here today... <grin>
Love,
Bridgett
p.s. Glad Spencer was okay!
I have been asking myself the same question especially today with yet another snow storm coming our way. Sigh! I want to see some GREEN and maybe some daffodils darnit! I am happy to hear that Spencer isn't hurt from his little fender bender. Thank God it was nothing too serious! The roads were terrible and they didn't cancel school here either as you know. They are afraid of going to far into June I guess with the snow day accumulations. I agree in a way because as a cook in the school, having no air conditioning just plain old STINKS!!!
Hugs and love, Lisa
Post a Comment