Thursday, March 24, 2005

"Frick-it" These Crickets

Still hunting crickets....

                            ....and not having a lot of success....

Out of the 36 that escaped, we have caught maybe 10.  The crickets are in every room of our house, except amazingly Spencer's room, where they originated from.  Suppose they know they were going to be lunch for the turtles? 

At night the chirping is incredible.  It may still be like winter outside (we got 4" of snow today), but inside my house it sounds like a warm summer night.  Hey, people pay big bucks to have this kind of ambience.  The majority of the crickets seem to be congregating underneath my stove and refrigerator.  Mike pulled out the bottom drawer of our stove in an effort to see them.  The only thing he found was dust bunnies, magnetic letters for the fridge, and the long-lost mommy for Sammi's dollhouse. We have caught crickets in the bathtub, the laundry basket, and in the potty chair.  Let me tell you, opening the lid and finding a cricket doing the backstroke in their potty, has done nothing to speed up the potty training process.  Arghhhhhhh....     

Since the great escape, Mike and I have been wondering a few things.  What is a crickets livespan, how quickly do they reproduce, what do they eat, and how the heck can we get rid of them?  So, this morning I did a search on the web....

The first bit of disturbing information I found was that crickets do indeed thrive indoors.  Crickets can feed on a wide variety of fabrics, foods and paper products. Cotton, linen, wool, rayon, nylon, silk and  furs are susceptible, along with soiled fabrics, sizing from wallpaper, glue from bookbindings, fruit, vegetables, meat and even other crickets.  Do you suppose I could train them to eat just wallpaper?  Hate the wallpaper in my kitchen.  : ) 

But oh, it gets better.... Each  female can lay an average of 728 eggs with the immatures (nymphs) resembling the adults except being wingless. Nymphs molt seven to eight times and reach adulthood in about 60 days. These crickets complete their life cycle by laying eggs in cracks, crevices and other dark areas such as behind baseboards.  What do you suppose are the odds that the crickets we had were all males? :::sigh:::

Mikey 2, calls the crickets "frick-its"...  I think it's a very fitting name, and these days "Frick-it these crickets" can be heard muttered quite frequently around here.  It's apparent now that just catching a few crickets here and there, is not going to solve the cricket problem we have.  But what to do?  Because we have small children and animals, we are very leery about using insecticides.  As an alternative, I found this on a website; gluetrap monitor, Gluetrap Monitor, GLUETRAP MONITOR, glue traps, Glue Traps, GLUETRAPS, glue trap, Glue Trap.  Hmmm, why couldn't this website just write glue traps once?  Anyways, hoping that these gluetraps do the trick. 

But now I'm wonderin'.....

How long will a cricket chirp while stuck to a glue trap?  :::shiver:::  Did I ever tell you I hate bugs?

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

LOL I am soo sorry to read this!!!!  well, honestly, I am laughing!!!  that is something that wouldhappen to me!
Becky

Anonymous said...

Once in a while we have mice problems and I tried one of the glue traps ...they're gross nothing like a screaming mouse...rose

Anonymous said...

Oh my!  I love crickets, don't get me wrong, but only when they are OUTSIDE!  I would be freaking out just knowing they were crawling around my house.  They remind me way too much of roaches.  YECH!!!  I cannot believe they live for as long as they do too!  And, they are living nice and cozy in your warm little house.  I bet they are happy as a bug in a rug, or under a fridge, or behind the stove, or in the potty seat, LOL!
Hugs and love, Lisa

Anonymous said...

Hmmm..maybe you could turn the turtle loose and he'll hunt his own dinner. Do they do that?  I don't blame you tho. ONE cricket makes me nuts. Hard to fathom an entire colony, inside no less. YUCK!

Kathy

Anonymous said...

Well Michelle, I live in Florida and I dont seem to have the bug problem you have, LOL !  However I do have squirrels in my attic who just ate my phone lines and cable lines, I could send you some of those, they might even eat the crickets!  Besides wouldnt Mikey and Sam love a new pet? I can send them home with your mom in a special cage!  Love Ya Grannycurr

Anonymous said...

I honestly feel bad for you...that must really stink.  I hate crickets.  Most bugs don't bother me much, but I've always hated crickets.  When I had my pet tarantula, I got great enjoyment seeing the big spider suck the crickets dry.  LOL  Yea, I know.  I'm warped.  

I hope you solve the problem soon!

Love,
Bridgett

Anonymous said...

Oh my lord..You will still be catching "frick-its" when the wee ones are graduating from High School.. I hope the glue traps work!

Hugs,
heather

Anonymous said...

Michelle,  I feel for you!!!  I can't even imagine what it must be like in there at night!  I hope the glue  thingy's work! Linda

Anonymous said...

OMG!!!!  This would completely freak me out.  You poor thing.  I'm praying you get them all soon!!!

Anonymous said...

You should purchase Riddex. It's a device that you plug into an outlet. It is safe for animals and children. It gives out some type of annoying energy that makes mice, insects, etc want to leave the house. It doesn't work right away and may take about a month to work. I had spider problems and it worked. You would have to buy several though depending on the size of your house.
I hope soon it gets nice outside and they decide to move on.
Cyndi

Anonymous said...

I love the line... doing the backstroke... LOL!!  I am soooooo sorry to hear you are having this problem with those crickets and hope you can find a way to get rid of them all quickly and easily!!  That is some serious reproduction capabilities!!  Maybe you can call a professional cricket remover in??!!  LOL!!?
Lisa

Anonymous said...

all I can say is eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeekkkkkkkkkkk!  I'd be living at the holiday inn!
good luck girl!

~JerseyGirl
www.jerseygirljournal.com
http://journals.aol.com/cneinhorn/WonderGirl

Anonymous said...

Oh, gosh, Michelle.  I hope the glue traps solve the problem.  I can't imagine.  

Anonymous said...

Ahh, the mating call of the crickets.  I say screw the glue traps, head to a motel for a few days and have an exterminator blast the place.  I'm terrified of bugs and actually have my daughters come in to kill ants!