To Do List
*Call the glass company
*Give the dog a bath
Never a dull moment....
One thing I can never say is that my life is boring. But I'm beginning to think that boring wouldn't be so bad once in awhile....
Spencer started Driver's ed this week. Mike thought that it would be good practice for Spencer to drive to his first day of class. So off they went.... The ten minute drive to the school was uneventful until Spencer missed the turn into the parking lot. Because he missed the entrance, he decided to drive down a side street and do a 3-point turn. Seemed like a good idea.... As he began his turn, Mike looked behind him. And before Mike could get the words, "Be careful not to hit that mailbox" out of his mouth, Spencer plowed into a mailbox. The impact from the mailbox shattered the back window on the truck.... Luckily the mailbox suffered no damage, still not sure how much it will cost to repair the window. What a way to start off his first day of driver's ed....
Tonight our dog Vixen was whining at the door. She was using the whine that is usually reserved for wanting to go chase something outside. Because we had been gone all day, Mike mistakenly thought Vixen really had to go out. Before letting her out, Mike said he smelled the air outside to check for skunks and decided that it was safe. He opened the door and Vixen bolted out into the darkness barking.
Well, Mike's nose wasn't working because within 30 seconds the barking stopped, and the pungent smell of skunk filled the air. Yup, Vixen got sprayed, direct hit on the face. Unfortunately Mike wasn't sure she had been sprayed and decided to let her in the house. Big mistake. I saw her walking in the kitchen, tail between her legs and foaming at the mouth. Although we immediately sent her back outside, the damage was done. Our entire house has a very strong odor of skunk.
Mike went to the supermarket to buy tomato juice, douches, :::lol, gotta give him credit for buying those::: and shampoo. When he got to the counter to buy his skunk remedies, Mike felt the need to explain his bizarre purchases and told the clerk that his dog just got sprayed. The clerk said, "Ohh, it's you that stinks. We've been looking around the store, we thought a skunk got in here." When he returned, I went to work to pick up some gloves so our hands would be protected while giving Vixen a bath. As I walked up to the nurses station, my co-workers covered their noses. "Ewwwwwwwww, you smell like a skunk..." I didn't think I smelled that bad, is it possible for a nose to get used to the smell? I got the gloves and chatted for only a few minutes because I noticed several staff members beginning to look ill. I know I won't be getting a call to work over-time tonight.
We decided to wash Vixen outside on the deck with the garden hose. The problem with that is there are three things that Vixen is afraid of. #1 thunderstorms, #2 vacuum cleaners and #3 the garden hose. Sure do wish she was afraid of skunks. Well, God bless her furry little butt, because she sat there and let us hose her down for a full hour. At 10pm we are out on the deck washing Vixen, what a pathetic sight. After 5 large cans of tomato juice, 4 vinegar and water douches and four herbal shampoo's she still smells. She smells like a pretty skunk, though....
Vixen is confined to the kitchen to sleep tonight and I'm hoping for a breezy, sunny day tomorrow. My house is in need of some serious airing out. Come to think of it, so are we. Think we'll stick close to home tomorrow. Although I've already showered tonight, I think I still smell....
13 comments:
Oh my goodness. I feel so sorry for you. When my children were quite young they *wanted to surprise mommy* so they dumped ALL my perfumes and talcum powder onto everything. I had about eight different perfumes smelling up my house. They put it on drapes, sofa, chairs, sheets, even towels and washrags. Well you gotta KNOW what that smelled like. I thought I'd never get the smell out. I did, but it took almost six months for things to smell right again. Barb
Sorry about the skunk. That has to be the worst smell ever created.
~Heathter
Here's my skunk remedy that worked on my cat recently: mix 1 gallon of water with 1/4 c. baking soda, 1 pint of peroxide, and 3 drops of Dawn Clear. Scrub into fur, leave on 5 to 7 minutes, rinse and let air dry. I guess the peroxide "lifts" the oils and the baking soda dissolves it. Don't know what the Dawn is for, but hey, your hubby bought douches right? So, this shouldn't be that bad! Hee-hee! Seriously, if this doesn't work, wait until the dog is totally dry and then see if he still smells. My cat only smelled when she got wet after that and it was only a few times after. Good luck!!! And, sorry to hear about the glass in the back of the truck!! Hopefully this will be the only accident Spencer will ever have!
Hugs and love, Lisa
ROFL!!! Never a dull moment, that's for sure! Good luck getting rid of the skunk smell. That's a tough one.
Mia
ROFL, ROFL....sorry, can't stop! As the saying goes, know what your dogs bark means. Jeff did the same thing a couple of summers ago w/Brandy. It takes forever to get that smell out. It will come back to "haunt" you evey time she gets wet. The groomers have an anti skunk smell treatment if you can't get it out. As for Spence......maybe he should attend class 1st before getting behind the wheel. lol
What next? The children paint the dog with White-Out? ;)
Michelle, too funny, although at the time it may have seem not. I have a "Hey God" story almost everyday. As my life is as follows........I am 46...And the kids, !16, 11, 7, and 3 and with that a demanding man, and a new kitty. So I am with you girlfriend, never a dull moment around here. About that 3 year old ; God had a plan; said here , you will wake up now and find out the most challenging of parenting times. Hope I never have a skunk story to tell. You handled it well and sure can laugh about it now. The teenager, oh how I know that life well. Got him one day tho when I mentioned that he may think I dont know anything, well I said, " I was cool before I had kids" He had to give that some thought. What is so sad is they dont have a clue, and as much as we try to teach them about life so they dont make mistakes like us.....they have to learn most of it on their own. Would love to chat with you or other mommies........just got on the puter obout a month and love the escape .......so hey out there.........Daiseymae858
OMG!!!!!!!!!! that is the funniest story about Vixen's encounter with the skunk.....but I feel for ya! My biggest fear is my greyhound getting sprayed in the backyard......he goes after anything and everything that moves......and it's only a matter of time........I do hope you have some cool, breezy days so you all can air out.......ROFL!!!!!!! ;-)
~jerseygirl
LOL ~ Oh no, Michelle! How awful. I sympathize, I truly do. And I still love you even if you do smell a little ripe. <grin>
Oh, and don't be too hard on Spencer. When I was 16, I wrecked my mom's car...did a fair amount of damage too. I was showing off for my then-boyfriend. LOL I, ummm, ran into a guardrail.
Glad to be back!
Love,
Bridgett
LOL!
well, not really funny. but, still...
must be a lot skuns around your place?
I don't know any other remedies to help you with that, except time and fresh air. :p
and soo sorry about spencer plowing down a mailbox the first day of drivers ed!
:( poor guy and poor window. Good luck. :)
At least she smells like a pretty skunk! LOL! I hope you all smell like yourselves by now....
I can relate to the Spencer story too....I'm glad it was just a mailbox...
You know, I think my son became a much more careful driver after he had a little accident. He realized that it *can* happen....It just is so "funny" that this should happen to your son on the way to driver's ed....
~Tina
I understand the skunk ordeal having just gone through the same thing myself. I heard my husband go to the back door around midnight (I thought to let one of our dogs out ) and I yelled out not to because I could smell a skunk. He was actually letting her in not knowing she had been sprayed. The dog was scared to death & ran into my bedroom to jump on my bed! It went down hill after that. She wouldn't go back out so he dragged her down to the basement (not a good idea either!) My husband & 21 year old son (his dog) made a Walmart run for tomato juice. I looked up the removal of skunk smell using Google. I met them at the door & told them they had to go back for peroxide & vinegar. They washed the dog (my son whining the whole time, obviously it doesn't get better with age!) The dog got 3 peroxide baths & a tomato juice rinse. I went to work the next day & stunk up the whole place. Like you, no one would come near me. I washed everything in white vinegar and had to throw some things away. I even had to have the Servpro people come out and clean the ducts & use a fog deordizer through the whole house. This was a month ago & you can still smell it on some things.
I have a teenage daughter who has her permit and she thinks she can drive on the wrong side of the street because the other cars will just have to look out for her..You see Tori is extremely cute and she thinks everyone is mesmerized by her beauty apparently even other cars lol lol..........
Post a Comment