Yesterday was the beginning of our vacation....
When we awoke yesterday morning it was already 86 degrees and the humidity unbearable. After pondering how we should spend our first day, we decided on the zoo. What were we thinking? Ahhhhhhhh, nothing like the smell of the zoo on a hot, humid day. After a hearty breakfast at Denny's, we were off.....
After an hour trek, we arrived at the Franklin Park Zoo in Boston. (There are no zoo pictures, we forgot the camera...) None of us had ever been to this zoo, so it was an adventure. Driving in Boston can be an adventure in itself... The one thing that was slightly bizarre about the zoo, was in places it was too close to the highway. Watching the majestic lions roar and then hearing blaring horns and screeching tires ruined the ambience.
As we walked through the park, we noticed that alot of the enclosures appeared empty. Even animals that normally lived in desert areas sought the shade. The giraffes and zebra's were out, giraffes are amazing, I could watch them all day. We went into the Butterfly Landing for an additional fee, but it was worth it. Sammi loves butterflies.... We sat on the bench inside listening to the nature sounds that were piped in, while the butterflies took flight around us.
I had one nervous moment while watching the mandrels. I thought that we were about to witness a National Geographic episode about Monkey Love. We didn't linger there long and I gave some lame explanation to Sammi's question "Mommy what is that monkey doing?" It turned out that I didn't need to worry, because in the next exhibit were the storks. That IS where babies come from, right? Hey, that's my story and I'm sticking to it... The only uncomfortable moment I truly felt was while watching the gorilla's. Or should I say, they were watching us. The intelligence I see in their eyes is unsettling. ~~Only a few DNA cells from being human, and us, apes. I have a few hairy relatives that I suspect are a few genes closer, lol.
Today was still hot, so we went to the beach. We ate at Markey's seafood restuarant, the kids had a blast feeding the sea gulls their french fries. Mike fed the sea gulls by hand, but I wouldn't let the little ones try. I thought that maybe the gulls would mistake a chubby finger for a fry. The sea gulls were very bold and begged better than most dogs. Must admit they have better breath too. One sea gull sat only a foot from us on the rail by the table. I had a few visions of Alfred Hitchcock's movie The Birds, causing me some anxiety. Their beaks really are pointy. Could definitely poke an eye out....
After dinner we walked along the beach to let the kids play in the water. Watching them run into the surf and come squealing out when the waves touched their feet, made my heart smile.... When did that stop being fun for me? I'm glad that it's fun again...
Tomorrow we will be taking our boat out to Gloucester.... It will be the longest ride we've taken on our boat with the toddlers. Hoping for calm seas and no sudden storms....
Yesterday was the beginning of our vacation....
......life is good.......
8 comments:
awww...life IS goood. I love boats. Wish I had one, I think I could sit in it all day.
In Disneyland, I remember eating somewhere where the seagulls were just as close, like 10 of them. It WAS unsettling. lol. Well, yeah! I am glad there are good times for you now....no more mud! :D
Sounds like you're off to a great start!
Oooh, fun fun fun. Though, I'm not so sure how I feel about a zoo...in the city...like you say, by traffic. But still, great to see creatures of the earth. And the Atlantic Ocean...I love that smell. Very salty. Different from here. Seagulls are more bold over there too. LOL Have fun on the boat. Sounds like the perfect outing during the hot/humid days.
Sounds like good times..
~Heather
Great pics. Have a wonderful vacation!
Oh my God!! I have a 15 year old, a 3 yr old and a 5 yr old. I am also a nurse. Life is crazy, esp. since my husband and I separated this year. It's hard finding something fun for all three kids since they are so far apart in age. Atleast I know I'm not alone..... I love my kids.
Beautiful sunset! Adorable pics of the toddlers too! I'm happy to see that you guys are have so much fun!
Mia
Life is indeed good. And vacations rock! I personally used to hate the zoo - it was hot and smelly. But they've totally redone the Houston Zoo and it's amazing!! My favorite exhibits are still the ones held INSIDE where it's COOL. I'll even stare at snakes and bats, just for a little break from the heat outside. But the stink is gone. And our monkey exhibit is AWESOME. Can't keep those silly monkeys from putting on their porn shows, though. And I thought rabbits had a bad reputation?! LoL
Post a Comment