Tuesday, August 10, 2004

Think Martha Would Know?

 

I still have another vacation entry to add, but I've been too busy to update.  I ended our vacation by picking up two 11pm - 7am shifts at work on Sunday and Monday.  Although the extra money helps, Mike gets worried when I pick up extra hours because he knows how tired I am when I come home.   Being exhausted from working all night and then having to watch two rambunctious toddler's is not a good combination.   I always tell him, "don't worry, I can handle it."  Well, apparently I can't.....

I arrived home this morning at 7:15am.... My body always takes at least an hour to wind down before I can relax enough to sleep. By 8:30am both toddler's were up.... I brought them into the livingroom and closed the gate to lock them in.  I gave each of my *little angels* some dry cereal and a sippy cup of milk. I turned on their favorite TV show and then decided to lie down on the couch.  I planned on waking my teen in a half hour to watch them when I went to bed to sleep for a few hours.  I foolishy and delusively thought, "I've got it all under control..."

At 9am, Spencer wakes me saying...."Mom, the kids got into white out."   My eyes fly open and there before me are the toddlers covered from head to toe in liquid paper. Apparently they snuck into the desk drawer and found not one, but TWO bottles of liquid paper.  One for each of them, Oh, happy day.  Both had painted white stripes on their faces, Sammi even pretended to put on lipstick.  Arms, legs, feet and hands are also covered.   

Why?????  Why can't I close my eyes for 15 minutes without them immediately getting into something they shouldn't?  Even when I think I have all the bases covered, they find a way to get into mischief.  Truly makes it hard for me to clean the house or take a shower during the day.  When will they grow out of this stage?  Oh PLEASE let this just be a stage.  My Mom told me recently that she could never babysit my children.  She said if she did, she would have to spank them.  And although I admit that hurt my feelings, I totally understand where she is coming from.  :::sigh:::And so, I began the process of trying to remove the evidence of my lapse in attention. 

 First I tried to wash them off with baby wipes, not working.  Then I used soap and water.... not working.  I make the water warmer, add more soap and begin scraping the skin with my fingernail to remove it, barely working.  Next, I try using nail polish remover to remove the areas from their legs and feet.  Working a bit better, but now I'm worried that this method is too harsh for their sensitive skin.  So I fill the bathtub up with bubbles and pop both of them in to soak.  Surely a good soak will soften up the liquid paper so I can wash it off.  After a 35 minute bath, that darn white out still won't come off even while scrubbing vigorously.  I tried mineral oil, just made the liquid paper shiny and the skin soft.  In desperation I logged on to *Ask Jeeves*....  Their recommendation?  Use soap and water....  Thanks Jeeves, it's not working. 

Mike will be home in 45 minutes and I will have to admit that he was right. He was right that I shouldn't pick up extra hours, that I can't handle being sleep deprived and keeping our children out of mischief.  Sad truth is, I can barely keep them out of mischief on a full nights sleep...

Kind of ironic that liquid paper, a product that is meant to conceal errors, is now a glaring visual reminder of my error in judgement, in parenting.  No concealing that this morning. 

Well, off to call the pediatrician.  Maybe they'll have an idea.... 

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

i completely understand what you are going through.  I have two toddlers also and they are into everything all the time.  There is just not enough time in the day to sleep and take care of two mischievious babies.  You have my prayers.  

Anonymous said...

aw......Michelle,  I knew before it finished coming out of my mouth that I had hurt your feelings,  (never meant to do that).   You know that I think they are the most beautiful and precious children in the world....  and they are the apples of your eyes (both for you & Mike).   That's why women my age don't have babies anymore....   I'm just realistic with myself and know that I would not have your patience.   You're doing a GREAT job with them.
LOL  (Lots of Love)  Mom

Anonymous said...

Michelle,
What you NEDED to do was TAKE A PICTURE of them!
I had my 17month old clib onto the changing table and rub Destin all over her head and body! And, Yes-I took a photo.
The baby said it was yogurt, but no tastes good.
Enjoy and keep journaling-they'll enjoy the stories when they're older. (mine are 6 and 7)

Anonymous said...

Hi Iam just siting here laughing, my twins are now 8, and Iam getting flash backs, they were and still are into everything, they would throw eggs and all my food out of the frig, it was an all day expirence I never knew what was goin to happen next while I was busy cleaning one mess the other messes were starting  up in another room.

Anonymous said...

Oh man!!  That white out is terrible as you found out!!  Not to mention I am sure they got a nice little "high" out of putting that much on their little bodies!  Woo-hoo!!  The only thing I ever found that took it off of my hands was to soak my hands in water and then chip it off with a fingernail or toothbrush, but I would usually just let it eventually fade away after numerous showers!  Guess your busted huh?!  I am sorry to hear that this happened, but just know it happens to the best of us!!  At least they weren't running out in the streets buck nekkid!!
Hugs and love, Lisa

Anonymous said...

It's not-so-liquid anymore, heh?  Maybe you can try make-up to cover it up :)  hah.  Just think, it will be stories to tell their future girlfriends!
Jeanne

Anonymous said...

ROFL.....have you tried a can of Coke??? It takes rust off cars, maybe will work on white out.

Anonymous said...

Do you think Martha gets mail in jail?  I bet she would appreicate a tube of white out for her own 'personal use'.  This post is incrediably funny...and I really need to know...how does one remove white out from skin?  Mine haven't done it yet but I can see it happening.

Anonymous said...

Oy.  Did you try paint thinner?  I wouldn't have a clue, past just scrubbing them down for hours on end.  LoL  Poor Momma.  Jacy is my "get into everything" kid.  Agggg.. makes for some.. umm.. "interesting" stories.  To say the least.  :P

Anonymous said...

Thank you, Thank you, Thank you! I thought my son was the only child who did these things. My son got into white out once....just a few hours before it was time to go to his fathers house (where everything is sterile and anything toxic is surely locked up in a safe and nothing out of the ordinary ever happens...) I found out the hard way, just like you that no matter how hard you try, soap and water, nail polish remover (yes, I tried it too), praying, etc....The only thing that seems to completely remove white out is time...

Anonymous said...

my mom and i were just looking at your journal and i told her i paint myself with white out alot when im bored mostly lol what i do 2 get it off is i usually soak the part i painted w/ warm water and a little bit of  baby oil than i take it out and just dap it mostly dry and than i just scratch it off  with my nail or sumthing not sharp but  sharp enough 2 take it off like tweezers ora dry washcloth  i just wait 4 it 2 wear off so i hope i helped cya

Anonymous said...

I know this had to be a huge pain for you, but it is pretty funny!  They will have to hear about this one their whole lives....

~Tina

Anonymous said...

My goodness what a story! I had NO idea about the liquid paper being so hard to remove. Thanks for the warning. You're right, keeping up with children on a full-night's sleep is hard enough. I don't know how you do as well as you do.

Hugs-
Mia