Wednesday, August 4, 2004

And The Fun Continues....

Today we had planned on getting an early start.  But plans, like New Year's resolutions, are often broken around here.   We decided that we would take our boat over to Newburyport to partake in their week-long fair.  The skies were blue, no storms in the forecast..... perfect boating weather.  The weather was 86 degrees with a bit less humidity today.  Still, the air felt stifling so we decided to go for a swim in the pool first. 

Sammi has finally become brave enough to swim by herself.  See that proud little face up there? We bought her (and Mikey) those bathing  suits that have flotation devices built in.  Although it does help with buoyancy, the suit alone won't keep you afloat unless you kick your legs.  She was so proud of herself as she motored around the pool under her own power.  

Our plan for an early start, ended up being a late start.  We finally got the boat in the water around 4pm and headed for Newburyport.  Because it was high tide, we were able to take a back route through the river instead of traveling in the open ocean.   I love pulling into the bay in Newburyport.  Lots of fishing boats, sailboats & yachts....Very scenic.   The fair didn't disappoint.  Good music, fried dough, and the kids had their arms painted.  Sammi had a very ornate butterfly design and Mikey had "pider man."

We decided to head back home around 7pm....  Because it was now low tide we had to travel out in the open ocean.  The currents around Plum Island were wild causing very large waves.  We would ride the crest of a wave, then look down and see a hole.  Our 19'foot boat (that suddenly felt very small) would suddenly drop and BOOM....then up it went again on the next wave.  This wild ride went on for about 15 minutes, who needs Six Flags?  I just held on tight and hummed the theme song from *Gilligan's Island*.  I also made the toddler's stop drinking from their juice boxes.  Didn't want to have to bring them to the ER to have the straws surgically removed from the roofs of their mouths, lol.   

After we went by Plum Island, the waters became quite calm.  The skies turned purple and pink, and the orange glow from the sun slowly began to descend on the horizon.  Before we reached the dock, we pulled up to one of our favorite beaches and let the kids play in the surf.  ~Another great day.

Tomorrow it's supposed to rain, I should do some housework.  Think I would die if anyone came over unexpectedly right now.... But vacation is here and going fast.  ~~Maybe we'll take the train into Boston to the Aquarium?  Don't think we'll make any plans though. 

 Because plans, like New Year's resolutions, are often broken around here....               

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Your vacation looks like a blast.  What cute kids you have.  And Michelle, your hair looks great!!!!!  Have fun on the rest of your vacation.

Anonymous said...

I love those bathing suits!  Emma had one last year and they work great!  Now she has outgrown them though which stinks!  Sounds like another wonderful day!  Except the ocean part.  That gave me the shivers!!  I HATE the ocean and to be in a boat with waves that send you crashing down!  AAAGGGHH!  But, I love that your children were drinking from their juice boxes not even bothered by it!  I would be screaming my fool head off and they would be laughing at me!
Hugs and love, Lisa

Anonymous said...

What fun! It looks like y'all are having a blast! Very nice photos!
Mia

Anonymous said...

Fabulous.  Wish I were your kid!  LOL

Anonymous said...

mine is more like a confession i guess
i too have a teenn 15 he thinks he knows it all at this age and i know nothing my teen and i argue constantly over stupid things for instance keeping his room clean
also he has had a job for the past four months and now goes around saying i never bought him anything he always supported himself blah blah blah what happened to the last 141/2yrs who bought you cloths then his reply was his dad we are a family under the same roof but unfortunately my husband is ill and has not been able to work for the past4-5yrs so the load was on me until he qualafied for disability but my teen will hear nothing of me doing my share he insists his dad pays for all and that really bothers me even though i am the adult it just hurts my feelings to hear my son talk to me like that and i do not tolerate disrespectfulness what so ever. i just dont know how to talk to him when he thinks he has all the answers i wish i was 15 and new everything i am 40 and still learning every day
thanks fosr listening
dawn
fla.

Anonymous said...

Wow, that sounds exciting! I love boats, wish I had one. :)   your so lucky you do.
Newburyport...sounds familiar to me. I think in some of my geneololgy searches it was one of the places that came up for me to search.
Anyway. you sound like your having a beautiful time, and I think you SHOULD take that train to the Aquarium! :)

Anonymous said...

Maybe New Year's resolutions are meant to be broken, like plans.  When you beak your plans like that, it seems like you always stumble upon something wonderful.  Love the pics!  Jeanne

Anonymous said...

Sammi looks great in her little floatie swimsuit!!  Awww.. she'll be a great swimmer!  :D  

Fried dough?  HmmMmmmMmmm... Ohhh.. sounds good!  I actually think I have a box of mix for funnel cakes in my pantry.  Something tells me we're having funnel cakes for dessert tonight!  Nums!  :P

Anonymous said...

I am really enjoying this sight.  Not getting a thing done but I am happy. Not so much a comment but wanted to share a "vacation story" My sister and I were separared when she was 5 and I was 11 . My grandmother raised her and I was off eith my mom(parents just separated). She still lives in the same county and we still remain 4 hours apart. Both with families of our own we decided to take a short vacation together this year. Went to a theme park in Santa Claus In. and stayed in a camp ground there for 3 days. Enjoyed the pool there, with her wonderful husband getting in the pool with all 5 of the kids ( my teenager to cool to hang out with us) her and I sat poolside with our sun hats on just wanting to freeze time. holding on to every word, also taking a min. to watch kids and take pictures. First vacation we ever did together........and the best Hallmark moment was at the theme park we rode the swings together........looking at each other smiling (also yelling , pretending to be scared cause 3 of our kids was on there also, he he) and when our feet hit the ground we both looked at each other and said "that was the 1st ride we ever remember riding tigether" It was a special moment and now we are already planning another mini-vacation together. So hey sisters out there.....if you get to see yours everyday and you often are talking of your childhood memories........count your blessings.........we just got started.................Daiseymae858