(Clicking heels together with my eyes shut and saying...) "There's no place like home, there's no place like home...." (peeking eyes open to look around, damn, I'm STILL in Alaska! )
Or so it seems.... I'm beginning to think that a twister snuck in during the night last Sunday; ripped up our little town by it's roots and plopped it down right in the middle of Alaska. I'm considering trading in my old house for an igloo. It's got to be warmer than this drafty old house, I know it would be easier to clean. Temperatures have been below freezing for a week now, down around 15 degrees. Three days ago the little mercury ball in our thermometer dipped below zero and it hasn't moved since. Currently it's -7 below, but with wind gusts blowing around 30+mph, this brings the temps to a mind numbing -35 degrees below zero. Warnings on tv say, "If you must go outside cover all exposed skin. Exposed flesh will freeze in under 10 minutes."
It truly looks like a ghost town. Few cars and no people are outside, none. The few that have to run errands scurry quickly from car to building looking like something out of the "Mummy Returns" movie. Hey, at least you don't have to worry about your hair and make-up. I've been avoiding going to the grocery store, but sadly I must go out today. Don't think a half gallon of milk and can of condensed chicken noodle soup will suffice. Hmmm, maybe if I add extra water to the soup? They've even cancelled school today because the gas in the school buses are congealing & it is just too dangerous to send the kids outside. If you don't hear from me for awhile, don't worry, I'll be back after I thaw out in the Spring....
19 comments:
Very sweet picture! When I was growing up we had radiators all over the house and we LOVED them. There was one really long, low radiator that we would sit on when we came in after making snowmen. Ahhh, memories!
Brrrr, and I thought our deep freeze last week was cold! (It's 45+ now!)
Wow, Michelle. I spoke with my best friend from high school. Yesterday she told me all schools were being cancelled for today. Never in our lifetime had we experienced that. Schools are closed because it's TOO COLD? That's scary. Please bundle up. Build a fire. Wear down and silk and thermal. I'm so sensitive to cold [can't stand it] ... so I can't even imagine this insanity!! Keep us posted, please :) xo
My advice? Stock up!! =) I hate going out in the cold. It makes my whole body hurt. Luckily, our freezing temperatures seem to have disappeared for awhile (we've been in the 30's)....but it's still cold. I can't even imagine gas CONGEALING! Keep those babies warm!
Love,
bridgett
We're almost out of this! I forgot what "freezing" feels like. It seemed so warm today when I went out in 7 above! hah. Love your pictures. reminds me of a curling iron accident I once had....
OMG honey, where do you live? Wish I was there! I love the cold and the snow. I hear it's close to -100 on Mt. Washinton in Hew Hampshire. That's where I want to be now. It's too bleeding hot in Georgis right now.
Oh girl, I don't know how you do it!
Living in Louisiana most of my life, I wouldn't
have a clue on how to dress or deal with that
kind of cold! It was like 60 degrees here this
morning, and I had to turn the heater on for
a little while, lol!
Thanks for reading and commenting on my
journal, I've noticed, and I appreciate it.
Love, Penny
glad i'm not where you are. i hate being cold. i mean it's cold here but we can still go outside.lol.....that pitcure of your son was funny, bless his heart. we have a rt 114 here too, that's the road i was on 2 weeks ago when a car pulled out and hit me, totalling my car:(. lol
Hey Michelle ~ Checking in. How are things? I hope you're keeping warm. Update when you can :) xo
geesh, that cold...brrrrrr. And here I thought I was cold here in California, putting on socks and dressing gown in the mornings/evenings....lol. I don't want that kind of cold, no thanks. Take care and try to keep warm, see ya soon.
LoL.. looking at that photo, I'm really hoping the furnace wasn't on! LOL What an adorable shot!! I hate having to go out in bad weather. And it seems you always run out of something when it's raining or freezing. Blah! tehehe...
I heard of a rump roast...but this is insane! I'd love to empathize, but it's awfully hard when it's in the mid 70's, sunny and green. Gotta go...it's time to go to the beach (LOL)...someday you'll smarten up and follow your lil' bro to FL.
yes this is a cold winter. john
I'm trying to see the "cold" in your picture, but I keep getting distracted by beautiful curly hair....I hope you really stocked up when you went out, so you won't have to do it again very soon!
Tina
Dianne & Slo: the furnace was on, so lil buns were warming, Melodee & Bridgett: 25 degrees today, feeling toasty: ), hyjeanne: LOL, had a curling iron accident once, mountainmere: my ex lives up in the white mountains, Penny: I dress in layers & dream of visiting someplace warm, Freee: I have no silk,thinking a visit to V.S. is in order: ), Bev: cold vs. earthquakes, decisions, decisions, lol. Tina: thinking he'll hate his curls later on, and Jazzelonious: my baby brother "Brat" luv
Great you journal. Love the post with the poem to your mother, made me tear up.
Doe
I love your kiddie pictures. This one is adorable! Minus 7, sheesh. I'm shivering just thinking about it.
goooood lord...where is it live again? Are you sure it isn't Alaska..because it sounds like Alaska. lol. I feel bad for you!! I am sending you extra warm thoughts to chase away those cold drafty days! :)
UPDATE: we warmed up last week to 23 degrees one day, tho most of the week we remained in the teens during the day. But for the next 3 days, it's right back in Alaska. Will barely make it out of the single digits with windchills to -35 below.
Trying to lose weight here, but my body wants to eat, eat, eat and hibernate...lol
Post a Comment