Thursday, January 8, 2004

On My Way to My Stress Test

Today I finally made it to my long awaited stress test.  Journal Not Abandoned Part 2.  As it turned out the stress test was the non-stressful part.  It was the getting there that ended up stressing me BIG time.  As I was cruising along  Rte. 114 singing with the radio, I apparently got distracted (lol, damn those daydreams of being a broadway star!) and almost missed my turn.  Not only did I almost miss my turn, but narrowly missed hitting some poor soul sitting at the redlight where my turn was.  I was truly within a hair's breath of getting into a serious accident (and taking someone with me in the process.) Instincts are a wonderful thing.  I was able to swerve into the right hand lane with wheels screeching to avoid the accident.  Thankfully there were no cars in the right hand lane, because in my panic I did not check my mirror first before swerving.  With my heart  pounding, I made my turn and tried to calm down.  I didn't dare look at the other car,  I'm sure they weren't happy.    I finally made it to my appointment and not surprisingly my blood pressure was a bit elevated, lol.   The treadmill was programmed to simulate how my body would react if I climbed a steep hill for an extended period of time, it increased in difficulty every 2 minutes.  The tech said they only needed 5 minutes and a heartrate of 150 to get an effective test result.  Well, I lasted 7 minutes and gave them a heartrate of 170.  Hey, I'm no hero, get me off of here!  When the test ended, she asked how I felt.... I wonder if anyone ever says "great?"

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Isaid great after my stress test. I really did john

Anonymous said...

After huffing and puffing for another 7 minutes, wiping the sweat off my face, and nearly collapsing from exhaustion....I'd probably say I felt great, just to be polite. lol Hope everything turns out okay, Michelle. Or no more cow brains and caviar for you! =) (Inside joke)

~Bridgett~ XO

Anonymous said...

LOL, John. Glad to hear that someone says "great." I said "I'm tired... but feel ok" Truth was I was winded and a bit lightheaded. I could have walked all day on a treadmill if it were flat, but this body wasn't made for climbing... : ) And Bridgett, didn't I tell ya I gave up cow brains or caviar for my New Years resolution? lol... Still lovin' those rat hairs in my peanutbutter tho :::wink:::

Anonymous said...

You got off easy! I just had a stress test, they called it the "Bruce" and it was supposed to last 12 minutes! I ended up having to quit after 10, but they had the results they needed. The last few minutes, it had speeded up and I could not decided whether to run or try to keep up with what I used to call my "city walk" but they noted my indecision and said they had enough.

All that to make sure we can survive surgery? Really? what about people who don't have a choice?

~ Karyn

Anonymous said...

LOL Karen, you are a better woman than I & in better shape apparently. No 'friggin way I would have lasted another 3 minutes. Would have been walking/running at a very steep angle because the hill became steeper & faster every 2 minutes. : )