Friday, January 23, 2004

Looking In The Mirror

Watching my little one play with the baby in the mirror, I began to wonder.  When did I realize that I wasn't perfect?  When did insecurities make me dissect myself, as I gazed in a mirror questioning if I'm pretty enough or skinny enough?  Often while growing up, the answers to those questions measured my self-worth.  As an adult I wait (and fear) that moment when I don't recognize the face in the mirror looking back at me....

Looking in the mirror, who does he see...
Who is that baby looking back at me?
Blue smiling eyes and a gap-toothed grin,
Taking no notice of his double chin.
Tousled hair and left-over lunch on his face,
His world is still a kind, non-judgemental place.
Dancing with his new friend, babbling in his ear.
Fogging up the mirror, but he doesn't care.
Reaching out to touch his pink chubby cheeks,
Covering his face, then giggling as he peeks.
Oh, the joys of loving one's own reflection,
Believing his image is one of perfection.
Not tainted by society on who he should be,
Looking in the mirror, who does he see...?

Written by Michelle/s0ngbird1962

18 comments:

Anonymous said...

Michelle, you should be writing a book of poetry earning big bucks girl. Your poem was very touching, so true and one that should be carried with us always =) Wonderful post, thanks for sharing your talent with us.

Anonymous said...

Sigh, to be a kid again. To look at things in wonder and excitement is something we somehow outgrow as adults. But I think each stage in life has its own special blessing. After all, the gift of getting older is not afforded to many.

By the way, I love your pics of your little one. =D

Anonymous said...

Beautiful words, beautiful thoughts, and beautiful baby. Thanks for Sharing.
Kate

Anonymous said...

Oh, that was worth waiting three days for -- nice....

Anonymous said...

Awwww Michelle! This is beautiful. I was nodding and "m-hmm"ing and "aww"ing as I read through this. A great reminder for us all. Perfection is imperfect... therefore we are all perfect. :) Isn't that great? What a relief huh? ::sigh:: xo

Anonymous said...

That is a beautiful song john

Anonymous said...

Songbird - When I get some free time, I'm going to look up some ezines or online lit mags for you to submit your poetry too. You're really, really, really good. I love this one.

We're often our own worst critic. We forgive imperfections in other people and rarely notice them at all... but when it comes to ourselves, we're unforgiving. Go lick a mirror, why don't ya? I think you're beeeautiful!!! :P

Anonymous said...

Thank you for the reminder that, deep down inside, we must sill have a little flicker of what used to be. Looks like we're back in Alaska....Jeanne

Anonymous said...

Michelle! That was absolutely BEAUTIFUL! You are one talented woman! It is so true how society changes us and we start to only see the flaws instead of the good. Very sad indeed.
Lisa

Anonymous said...

Michelle....this is just an incredible poem. I'm going to make a copy of it and hang it on my locker at work. That way, I can read it and not be self-conscience when I'm wearing a hair cover, shoe cover, and face mask. Just beautiful, Michelle. I'm very impressed.

XO ~ Bridgett

Anonymous said...

great pic and poem. Almost made me want a baby. Luckly my hubs is fixed.

you are a great writer!

~ Karyn

Anonymous said...

Aww, that's a lovely poem! And so true about what WE see.
In my minds eye, I still see that slim young girl, and sometimes
I don't recognize my own reflection. Not much for mirror
gazing these days, lol!
~Penny~

Anonymous said...

Well when I look in the mirror I see my a better looking version of my twin brother. LOL JK. Anyways, yeah how nice it was to be a kid and not think my nose was too big.

Anonymous said...

he sees his own beautiful self!! most likely a familiar image of his mother ;)
what a lovely poem!!!!!!!!!! it's soooo great. and soooo true. having a 2 year old..I know. anyway, thanks for sharing your poem.. l LOVE poems. and you did a super fantastic job, really. It's really really goooood.

Anonymous said...

What a great entry! I love the pic, too... So cute... :o) Thanks for coming around to my place, even though I have had a tough time making it around to yours some days... Life just seems to get SO overwhelming... Know what I mean? ;o)

Anonymous said...

HE SEES THE ANGEL HE IS. I LOVE THE POEM YOU WROTE. WHEN I WAS YOUNGER AND LOOKED IN THE MIRROR I CARED ABOUT WHAT I SAW. TODAY, ALL THAT MATTERS IS THAT, ON THIS DAY, THE WOMAN IN THE MIRROR HAS DONE HER BEST.

Anonymous said...

that is so sweet. my baby is 18months old and loves to see the baby in the mirror. she laughs and giggles and blows kisses to her reflection. i wish i could be that thrilled when i look in the mirror at myself. great poem. also, i had never heard that martina mcbride song. it made me misty eyed.

Anonymous said...

Bravo. Bravo. Enjoy this time in YOUR life.
They will be grown so soon, you are very gifted and blessed.