Thursday, January 29, 2004

Florida Or Bust....

 

We had hoped to go to Florida for February school vacation.  But those hopes were busted today like an over-inflated balloon.  **pop**   A big job came in at the end of last week where Mike works.  When Mike heard that the deadline for the job was the end of February, he got a sinking feeling.  Unfortunately his instincts were right.  Today his boss told him that there was no way he could go to Florida.  He was needed there to make sure the deadline was met. His boss will be away that week.  His boss did say he could go if he wanted to lose this account and look for a new job when he returned.  Soooooo.... it's final, we stay in Alaska.   

Oh, how I wanted to warm these bones for just a week, feel the sun on my face and see flowers in bloom.  Take the kids outside to play and just remember how my world was, before this blanket of white and arctic air invaded my space on the planet.  We wanted to visit my folks, my brother and his family, and spend a day with Mickey Mouse.  Mickey Mouse will have to wait 'til next year.  I guess the vacation denial wouldn't sting so much if I didn't know the reason why his boss won't be at work that week....

He's going to be in Florida with his kids, Ouch!  Think he'll get an autograph from Mickey for me?  ~I hope it rains.... 

19 comments:

Anonymous said...

That's a pretty shitty thing to do, I must say. Especially if your husband had this vacation scheduled for some time. :::Sigh::: I'm sorry, Michelle. Such a rotten thing. But you know what? Spring will be here before we know it! (I hope)

Love,
bridgett

Anonymous said...

To be fair, Mike had asked for the time off with relatively short notice. But we didn't consider his boss saying "no." Work had been moderately slow & it is a short work week due to a holiday, he only needed 4 days off. No one else was planning a vacation & the boss made no mention of planning to take that week off, until after he told Mike it was a no go. Yup, Spring will be here sometime in April : ) ...Only 3 more months

Anonymous said...

OOOOOHH that STINKER!!!! No fair, NO FAIR! *shaking my fist at that poopie-head boss* I'm sorry for you and your family, what if you had non-refundable tickets? .... ~Cindy

Anonymous said...

If it's any concelation, it does rain in florida daily. But only a short time and it drys almost as fast as it hits. Sorry about your vacation plans going down the toilet but there's always next year and this gives you time to plan it right. Hugs Lanny

Anonymous said...

Sorry Michelle....how disappointing....
Tina

Anonymous said...

Argh, what a bummer. I'm so sorry to hear this Michelle. Maybe your husband can make a deal with his boss that he get that vacation after the project is done?

Anonymous said...

So, Sorry!!! How disappointing. Hey, Lets all do the Rain dance for the FL area!!!!
Kate

Anonymous said...

Awwww.... so sorry to hear that your plans were thrwarted! Mike's boss... that was a low blow. If I was going to tell my employees that they couldn't go to Florida on a family vacation, I sure as heck wouldn't spread it around that I'd be doing that VERY thing!! Shessh....

I've heard you mention before that you live in Alaska, but never thought to ask you more about it. That's interesting! And wouldn't California have been a little closer?? LoL

Anonymous said...

I would be a bit sore too knowing that you can't go because
the "boss" is away doing just what you want to do.
Obviously though, the fact that your husband is needed says
alot. You'd think though that it being such an important job
that the "boss" would need to be there too.
Your vacation in the sun is coming....keep the faith.
Love, Penny

Anonymous said...

OMG he is going to Florida, now that sucks that your plans are ruined while he gets to go. I say make your own Disney Rides in the snow in Alaska.

Anonymous said...

Muse: he's busting his butt trying to finish in hopes that the boss will have a change of heart. Kate: LOL, I like your style! Raindance : ) Slo: ::sigh:: his boss isn't as thoughtful as your old one : ( Geez, hope he doesn't read this, lol. But I agree considering he nixed our plans but then said he was going.very low blow. Oh, and it just FEELS like Alaska this year with non-stop sub zero temps/artic air...Actually live in Freee's hometown state.

Anonymous said...

Penny: hubby said the same thing. If it is sooo important he wonders why the boss doesn't stick around in case of problems. Oh well... Next time we have a chance for family vacation is in April. And hopefully Spring will be sprung here : )

Anonymous said...

What a letdown. I was all set to hear you describe all the fun you had. What smarts the heart is "knowing the reason the boss won't be at work that week."
so sorry. Wrap yourself up in a comfy blanket and watch a good movie. It is not Florida but you will be warm, and if the movie is good, enjoying yourself.

Anonymous said...

His Boss....Real nice guy![ugh] v

Anonymous said...

GRRRRR...that makes me angry and I wasnt even planning on going,lol. Sorry it's a bust =(

Anonymous said...

Wow, this is upsetting. I can understand having to work with a deadline and shifting vacation plans BUT Mike's boss sounds heartless. It feels disrespectful. If he's the boss, he should be there to oversee the project. And to hold Mike's job over his head... sounds like it's just to save his own butt! I'm not great with commitment ...so I'd be out the door waving to my boss, "Good luck with that account. Off to Florida! Buh-bye!"

Anonymous said...

sorry about lack of Sunny Relaxation ... I'll be feeling the same pain (or similar, anyway) as I just accepted a regular job, 40 hours a week, 49 weeks of the year ... so there goes all the travel. AFTER we get back from Colorado. And coincidentally, the job starts the same day I was SUPPOSED to be leaving for Florida with Greg ...

~Karyn

Anonymous said...

Consider a Spring vacation. April is a beautiful time of year here. We were really looking forward to seeing you guys this month. But I'll be damned if we travel to that frozen tundra.

Anonymous said...

That's why i'll never go back to working for someone else!!!! I like being my own boss, i'll go where i want, when i want......providing i have the money! lol. Guess i better get my butt in gear if i want to go this year!