I haven't spoken much about my occupation & although some may call it a job because it pays my bills, I feel that it is a calling. My desire to help care for those who can't help themselves was something I felt in my soul; my schooling & training made it possible. Currently I'm a nurse in a nursing/rehab center. Although I have held several different positions as a middle-school nurse, home hospice nurse & assistant to a maxial facial surgeon, my heart remains with geriatrics. I would someday like to specialize in Alzheimers.... That being said, let me tell you about my shift Saturday night.
As I walked into the building the voices of Christmas caroler's were wafting in the air...."Silent night, Holy night, all is calm all is bright..." I love Christmas music but for some reason hearing Christmas music in a nursing home setting always brings a tear to my eye. Maybe it's all those "I'll Be Home For Christmas" sentiments; because the reality is most of these people will never go home again....
2 comments:
Its nice to hear about what it is you do. The elderly hold a special place in my heart also. I also have a special place in my heart for those with Alzheimers. My great grandmother had it and passed away on my 18th birthday. Its a horrible disease. In her last few months here, it was like she wasnt really here. Really sad.
You seem like a wonderful person and Im sure that the people you work around look forward to seeing you everyday.
Take care,
chris
It takes a special person to be a nurse. God bless you and your caring spirit and your calling to help others.
Post a Comment