"I wish that you could watch my son grow up to be a man...
Walk along the seashore holding your hand.
I wish I watched you longer as you walked across the floor,
I wish that I could tell you, I love you once more...."
Those are a few lines from a song I wrote for my Memere(grandmother). She died almost 11 years ago a few days after Christmas. But it is not her that I want to talk about today; rather about the son that I wished she could see grow up into a man...
My first-born son Spencer has turned 16 today! It seems as if it was just yesterday (ok, maybe last week) that he was still a small child. Yet, here he is somehow growing up into a young man right before my eyes. Where does time go? Today I gave him the day off from school & he wants to go to the registry to get his learner's driving permit. Knowing he'll soon be a teen driver on the road scares the hell out of me. I think the hardest part of parenting is allowing my child to become independent. I can only hope that the morals I've attempted to instill in him, will guide him, as he begins his journey to adulthood...
I wish life would slow down a bit, I don't think I'm ready for this.
11 comments:
Oh my Songbird, I don't know if I will EVER be ready for that day! You are doing the right thing though, giving him his independance and teaching him how to be a good person. That's all we can do, and then it's up to him. So, just give him extra hugs and kisses (when he lets you) and hold on tight for the ride! Oh, and keep me updated on how it goes, because I will be there sooner than I want to be!
Lisa
I love those wishes. In fact, they gave me a lump in my throat. Such good wishes to have ...
that is so nice to think of your Grandmother that way. I am sure she would have enjoyed every momnet with him and be very proud....john
You know,You ARE a wise person.You shine bright through your writing.I would love to hear the rest of your song.Your beautiful, beautiful baby boy is now becoming a man. YOU HAVE done a good job, believe in yourself& believe in him, sounds like you already do. Each of my kids stages I have wondered, 'HOW am I going to DEAL?',& amazingly it has all been good! I love my babies, but I have to let them grow.It is good.--I really enjoy your journal. http://journals.aol.com/mw15mw99/ThisandTha
My boys are 17 and 19 ... it was hard letting them grow up and move on with life. My oldest joined the Navy last year and my youngest leaves this summer for basic. Just have faith you raised them right and they will make wise choices. I feel confident that my boys are doing good. Just am sure your young man will do right ~ after all he had a loving mom to guide him.
Monica
~Whoooooooshhhh~ The sound of time flying by! I didn't realize you have a son in high school. Maybe cuz I see pics of your teeny ones so often :) Seems high school was just yesterday [in some other life] but 16 yrs ago, I was in my 2nd year of college! ACK! Wish I didn't do the math! Have fun on the road! Letting go is what we're here to learn, daily. Happy Birthday to Spencer!
hi Michele, if Spencer is anything like his Mom, you have no worries! Your Grandmother would be so proud of you and kids. Happy Birthday Spencer!
I can't believe my little guy is almost 2! It seems like just yesterday I was in the hospital with stitches in my belly and a perfect little newborn in my arms. And I can't even imagine letting go...the hardest thing a mommy can face, I would think. Happy birthday to Spencer!
Love,
bridgett
p.s. I added you to my 'favorite journal' list. Hope you don't mind! =)
It is hard to believe, isn't it? Not that I have any kids of my own, but 1 niece turned 17 on July 4th (hard to handle that she's a senior in HS & is doing the college application stuff!), our nephew turned 13 on June 10th, & our other niece will be 14 months on Christmas Eve. Isn't it wild to think though, that as kids, time takes sooooooooo long to pass?!?! ~Liz~ (AKA Aunt Nub's Empty Head)
Ohh... it must be so difficult. I can't yet imagine. But you seem like a fine mother and I'm SURE you've raised him to be responsible. All you can do is pray and be proud of him. And buy extra insurance if needed. And paint the car white so everyone sees him coming. Put a "Student Driver" sticker in the back window. It might embarrass him, but isn't that what Parents are for? :P
Great entry. Congrats to Spencer! WOOT!!
My oldest is 12 and filling out. When I hug him now, I feel the bulk of a man boy. I'm trying to savor that in-between stage, because I know his voice will soon crackle and change and little hairs will start to sprout all over. Loving means letting go. They learn so much by watching us, don't they?
Post a Comment