Friday, December 19, 2003

Christmas Memory

One of my earliest Christmas memories is a bit traumatic.  Fortunately the trauma was short-lived because Rudolph really DID come that year.  Maybe I should explain....My Dad has always been a prankster, he loves to play jokes on people. His fellow firefighters and family were his favorite victims of well thought out schemes,but sometimes his jokes backfired.  I blame him today for my warped sense of humor, I think it's genetic... 

My Pepere (grandfather) owned a little grocery store for many years until he retired.  My dad worked part time for his dad on weekends. It was always fun to go visit my Dad and Pepere when he was working.  We used to run out back and say hi to Speedy the butcher and we always got a free ice cream.  Nutty Buddies were my favorite.  One morning my Mom took my three brothers and me for our usual visit.   It was mid-November (hunting season) and we were all so excited for Christmas.  I think I was about 4, so my brothers were 3, 6 & 7 years old.  We all believed in Santa & his flying reindeer.  This time when we arrived at the store, my Dad greeted us and said, "Kids, I have bad news for you, follow me...."  So all 4 of us dutifully followed my Dad to the back of the store. 

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ahh, poor Dad, just trying to be fun! But he should've known better. Just post the pic on the internet with a caption!

~ Karyn

Anonymous said...

I remember Speedy too,,,,,but the best I ever got was hamburger off the grinder!!