This past week we have been blessed with many reasons to smile.....
Since February 1st, Mom has been admitted to a nursing/rehab facility. Although there have been some issues with "nursing", the facility Dr. and rehab have been great. When Mom arrived at the facility she was bed bound and used a wheelchair. She could only take a few shaky steps with a walker and assist of one person. Mom's only source of nutrition was via a tube in her belly. She could barely talk or lift her head off the pillow. Mom was very, very sick....
Well, "You've come a long way baby......." (Ummmm, Mom : )
Her progress has been amazing over the last few weeks. And this week it seems as if new milestones are hit daily. I see my "old Mom" emerging from the shell that she had become. Her smile, the sparkle in her voice and eyes....it's all come back. This week (after a swallowing evaluation), she was given the thumbs up to begin to eat by mouth. Mom's esophagus had been paralyzed by the radiation. She was soooooo excited to eat again, to have food put in front of her. Unfortunately, there was a mix-up with what her diet should be. (Should have been ground/mechanical) but instead she was receiving pureed. Trust me, puree in a nursing home is NOT good and does nothing for one's appetite. Last night when I visited, I brought her a lobster roll from her favorite seafood restuarant. Mom had no problems eating her lobster salad, ahhhh, did my heart good to see Mom eat. Truly, I wanted to cry.... happy tears of course. After a nice (but too short) visit I left. But not without leaving her a tube of Girl Scout Thin Mint Cookies. ::::smile:::::
Eating has not been her only accomplishment. Last week Mom started walking long distances again with her walker. Mom cried the first time she was able to. It's been almost 3 months since she's been able to do that. Just a few weeks ago she could only walk a few shaky steps with assistance. Well, wonders never cease. Today Mom walked about 100 ft by herself, no walker, no one helping her. On her own steam. Go, Mom! Today my folks had a family meeting with nursing/PT/OT and there's a good possibility that Mom is coming home soon. Very soon, tentative date of March 8th. Weds. Mom has an appointment with her oncologist, I think he'll be very impressed with her progress. I'm pretty sure Mom is due for another scan soon....
Hey God? It's me Michelle.....
Please let Mom look as good on the inside as she does on the outside.
The other reason our family has been smiling this week is because my sister Monique had a baby. Mom's baby girl gave birth to a baby girl. Little Natalia Mariette (named after our Mom) came into the world on Feb. 28th weighing in at 8lbs and 13oz. Both Mom and baby are doing wonderful. Natalia has a headful of dark brown hair, petite little features, and very good lungs. She's just beautiful. This baby should be the last one, (Natalia is the #21st grandchild for my folks). I think my siblings are all done having children.... But hey, ya never know! : )
So after much sadness, there has been much to smile about. We are truly blessed. Watching Mom's battle for life and with the birth of baby Natalia; we are once more reminded that life is truly a gift. I know that this sounds cliche', but never take one day for granted. Never. No one knows what tomorrow will bring for any of us. For now the rollercoaster is going up and we are all holding on and enjoying the ride.
** I wanted to add a picture to this entry,but it appears that AOL journals has deleted thefeature I used to put in pictures. (AOL hometown). Will have to figure out a new way to put in picutres. ~~'Til next time....
5 comments:
Congratulations on all your blessings! Jae
YEAHHHH!!!! I am so happy for you!!
Kelly
Congratulations on these wonderful milestones. God is good and life is so fragile. I just love the name of your journal and am so glad to get an alert from you. Have I missed any other entries? I'm going to check right now. Hugs,
Lisa
http://journals.aol.com/randlprysock/AdventuresFromFlorida/
God truly is a miracle maker! rose~
What a relief. :-) 21 grand children!?! ... WoW! Yes, your mom has a lot to live for! Congratulations on being an aunt, again. God bless y'all! And, yay for your mom's progress! YES!
Mia and family ~
Post a Comment