Tuesday, January 2, 2007

A New Year

Mikey and Mom, Sept. 2006

 

 

 

A New Year has arrived.

 

But this year there was no great celebration, only quiet recognition that 2007 arrived. 

 

On December 4th, 2006 our family received bad news.  Devastating news that shook each of us to the cores of our very being.  None of us will ever look at life the same way again, of this I’m sure.  I’ve wanted to write in my journal but this is not my story to tell.  And though my mind is filled with thoughts and my heart full of emotion, I don’t want to write something that may upset someone in my family.  Especially my Mom.   

 

You see, on December 4th, my Mom was diagnosed with lung cancer.  Lung.  Cancer.  Seems surreal, even seeing it typed here in black and white doesn’t make it seem true.  Sadly it is….  Chemotherapy and radiation have already brought changes and complications, but Mom has faced each one with steadfast courage and faith.   I would do anything to help fight this battle for her, but I can’t.  I think that is one of the hardest parts for all of us, feeling so helpless.  Although this is her battle, she’s definitely not alone.   My Mom is blessed with the greatest group of cheerleader’s (lots of family and friends), that will cheer her on and walk each step of the way with her.  We will hold you up Mom, even on days when you feel you cannot go on.  Lyrics from one of your favorite songs keep playing in my mind….

 

“When you walk through a storm,

Keep your head up high,

And don’t be afraid of the dark.

At the end of the storm,

Is a golden sky

And the sweet silver song of a lark.

 

Walk on through the wind,

Walk on through the rain.

Tho’ your dreams be tossed and blown.

Walk on, walk on,

With hope in your heart.

And you’ll never walk alone.

You’ll never walk alone…..

 

No, you’ll never walk alone.”

(Hmmmm. is that humanly possible with a husband of almost 49 years and six kids? lol)

 

As I’ve written this entry something has occurred to me.  Although the start of 2007 has begun with undeniable sadness, there is also great hope and faith.  A hope bigger than any small child’s Christmas wish and a faith deeper than any blue ocean.   Believe…..

 

Oh, and Mom?  Next year when you are better we are sooooooooooo celebrating 2008!               

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

You can count on the Florida cheerleading brigade to help celebrate 2008...always have hope and faith and remember...things happen just the way their supposed to. It's all in the plan, we just don't always know why.

Anonymous said...


i am a cancer survivor and I know that the best treatment is the love of family and friends.I will pray for your Mom.God Bless.

Anonymous said...

You and your family are definitely in our prayers!
We know that your mom will have a speedy recovery -- from your friend in the blog world. Love and Peace to you and yours,
love,
Darlene

Anonymous said...

I believe!!!  That is a beautiful picture of your Mom and Mikey!!  I will keep your Mom and your entire family in my prayers.  I love that song by the way and cry every single time I hear it.  Many, Many Blessings to you and your family Michelle!
Love,
Lisa

Anonymous said...

Continued prayers and good thoughts for your Mom and your family.  

Anonymous said...

Michelle, I`m so sorry. My prayers are with your family, especially your Mom.
Hugs,
V

Anonymous said...

I love the way Mikey is looking up at his grandma in this picture.  He looks so innocent and secure in his love for her.  I only wish I could see her face.  :)

You know I'm with you...100%.  

We've been friends for a long while now...and I care about you and your family.  My prayers (and those of many West Virginians) are being sent your way.  

Much Love,
Bridgett

Anonymous said...

my thoughts are with you and your family Michelle..... you are a dear and precious spirit. Hang in there and never forget the power of positive thought.

my very best to you and yours,

judi

http://judithheartsong.blogspot.com/

Anonymous said...

I love this photo! Life shouldn't end as it does, the golden years for our parents should be much more golden!

K.