Wednesday, February 9, 2005

A Patriot's Celebration...

Picture by Stephan Savoia, AP

On Tuesday morning I let my teen skip school and ride the train into Boston for the Patriots rolling rally.  I had originally said "no" to his plans, (and said "no" about a hundred times after when he begged) because I didn't feel he would be safe traveling into Boston with just a group of teens.  Teens who aren't wise to the way of a big city can get in trouble. I only agreed on Tuesday morning,  when his best friend's Dad decided to go along.   Over protective?  Maybe....    

Over a million people crowded the parade route to see the Super Bowl champs.  I told Spence that I didn't think he'd even get close enough to see them.  I was wrong.  Spence came home so excited, he was glowing.  He was in the front row on Boylston Street and he could have touched the duck boats the Patriots were riding in.  He saw his football hero's, their Super Bowl rings, their three Super Bowl trophies.... He bought the official Super Bowl hat, a few newspapers and took lots of pictures.   I'm truly happy I allowed him to have that experience. 

But all did not go smoothly in Boston.  He passed by several gangs and their threatening appearance unsettled Spencer.  He told me, "Mom, you just knew they were packing guns."  Although the parade went smoothly, there was a problem with the trains.  Apparently because of the sheer numbers of people, the trains shut down for awhile.  Police officers had to ask thousands of people to leave the train station.  A small riot between two schools broke out and 30 people ended up being arrested.    Spencer was there when the police horses came in and tried to maintain order.  His friend's Dad decided that he had had enough, and took the boys out to the street to hail down a cab.   Sixty dollars later, they were safely home...

I'm not sure what kind of grief Spence will get from his teachers for not being at school yesterday. I told him not to wear his Super Bowl hat to school, because I  called him in *sick*.   But hat or no hat,  I know when they see Spence still glowing from the excitement of yesterday, they'll know that his Mom lied.  Oh well, it was worth it.  Just ask Spencer....  

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I Totally AGREE with how you handled this!!!! YOU are the Coolest MOM in the World. He will NEVER forget what you did for him -- The experience will live on with him forever!
Of course, being a mom myself....I see all the GOOD lessons he will learn from this. He got to see first hand WHY your first, second and HUNDREDS of responses were "NO".  Sometimes it is not enough for our kids to learn from our experience, but to witness it first hand under a simi controlled situation, such as having a parent/ adult along.  
I am glad you let him go. Great Photo!!!! And a BIG CHEER for a GREAT MOM!!!!
Kate~

Anonymous said...

Michelle....here in the City of Brotherly Love- parade Tuesday was very quiet here.  Since there WAS NO PARADE.  The bouts of depression are in full swing but most are staying out of trouble with the law.  I'm jealous that you have had 3 parades for Super Bowl titles.  But hopefully I'll get over it next February.  I have a bag packed to visit a friend in Detroit next year.....LOL!!  I agree Spence has one of *the* coolest moms around.  I would have been a *Cool* mom if the Eagles would have prevailed.

Anonymous said...

I wouldn't even worry one bit about allowing your son to miss school!!  It was well worth it for him to go into Boston and share in the entire city's excitement!  He will remember that ALWAYS!  You can't say that about what he would have learned at school that day right?!  And, what a way to sober someone up by seeing gangs and police on horses come in to maintain order!  I am so glad one of the Dad's went along with the kids.  I would have been a nervous wreck!
Hugs and love, Lisa

Anonymous said...

Maybe now you won't have to say "no" the other 99 times next time he asks -  lol. I'm glad he had a great time and minimum trouble.  I probably would've said "no", too.  Unless they've grown up around gangs, they truly are clueless.


He will remember this forever!

Kathy

Anonymous said...

You are a totally COOL mom!!  I would have done the same thing!  So glad the friend's dad was there!!  
Hugs,
Lisa