Every year the nursing home I work with has Santa Claus come to visit. Employee's children are always encouraged to come, though I've never brought mine until this year. I heard the Santa Claus (a co-worker's husband is a professional Santa, very authentic looking, no stuffing, or fake ho, ho, ho's needed) was volunteering to fill the role. With Sammi so excited this year, I decided to bring them. My co-worker was dressing as Mrs. Claus....
When we arrived there was a dance school performing for the residents. The room was over-packed, it seems that the performance was also being treated as a recital for their families. Right before the dancer's finished, I heard an activity assistant say, "They'll be here in 10 minutes." Cookies and cider was served and in walked Santa. A scraggly, skinny Santa who upon entering the room exclaimed, "Ho, ho, hey. Hey ho, ho..." This was NOT the Santa that the employees were all expecting. With the exception of the Activity Director, who was also aware of the other Santa. Apparently at the last minute, she decided that it would be cute if her boyfriend played Santa because her 6 month old was there.... When told by other concerned employee's that "You can't do this, they are coming".... Her response was, "Well stop them at the door, they can't come in here."
Shortly there-after, the real Santa and Mrs. Claus arrived with a sack full of toys and foil covered chocolates, looking like they stepped out of a fairy tale book. Awesome. No one stopped them until they were around the corner from the room... They were stopped and told there was another Santa there and they couldn't go in. What??? This event had been planned for over a month, so obviously they were stunned. The real Santa, putting a finger aside of his nose said *!@?* @!* and out the front door Santa and Mrs. Claus flew. No reindeer needed. In their wake they left a trail of foil covered chocolates.
Meanwhile, the Santa on crack continued with his lackluster performance, and only had enough gifts for the girls who performed, all their siblings and the employees children got nothing. With the exception of Sammi, she got a mini pad and marker set. Children were crying, one little boy (about 4 years old) was having a full-blown tantrum because he didn't get anything from Santa. I heard the mother hiss to the father, "See? That's why I don't like to come to these kind of things. Something like this always happens." Truly an embarrassment to the facility. Though at this point the one's responsible for this fiasco seem oblivious. I do not understand why the Director of Nurses let the Acitivites Director change the plans at the last minute for her own selfish reasons. I've lost a lot of respect for her and if Santa truly did have a naughty list, I know of a few people who deserve to be at the top of the list.
Oh, and to top things off? Not only did the Santa Claus suck, but he gave out non-washable markers. Guess who's still trying to get marker off her kitchen table?
12 comments:
That's grinchy!
Too bad you couldn't have caught the "real" santa before he left. Apparently the director wasn't concerned w/the kids. How sad, this really should have been for the kids, not her!
Coal for Tacky Santa! Hope your director has a word or 6 for the his girlfriend.
OH my Goodness, What a Fiasco!!!!
I am so sorry for the kids!!
Sorry about the Markers. I KNOW how hard that is to try and get out.
Kate
That is AWFUL!!! I can't believe that woman would have the you know whats to do that!! The kids must have been so disappointed! There was no excuse for this and if I were the parents of these children, I would be the first one writing a nasty letter to that Activity Director. UGGHHH!
Hugs and love, Lisa
How Horrible! That is not something children are likely to forget. My dad was in the Navy and it was a very big thing when I was a child when Santa came to the base during the Christmas parties for the military families. All the children got presents and Santa paid attention to everyone. How sad for your children and all the other children there at the nursing home. I bet she has made more than a few enemies with the skinny santa, and then sending the real Santa away is unforgiveable! Hope the rest of the Holiday season goes better for you and your family!
Melody
::sigh:: Ummm... unprofessional, anyone? What's the point in making children happy if all you really do is make them miserable? How unfair for the kids. I hope Sammi didn't catch on and think anything strange of it. Kids that young are pretty easy to make up explainations for. We got into the habit of always taking E. and J. to the SAME place each year for their Santa photos, because they always had the same Santa play the role. We learned to shuffle them quickly past any "inferior" Santa's. Since my father told us about Santa at such a young age that I don't even really remember ever believing in Santa, I wanted my own kids to believe for as LONG as possible. E. is just now getting to the point where he's asking questions. All I've told him is that the minute he no longer believes, Santa won't be real for him anymore. It's kinda sad when they stop believing. :(
What a crappy thing to do! <sigh> Selfishness...the one thing Christmas DOESN'T stand for.
At least you'll know better next time. And I think I'd be filing a complaint with whoever is in charge.
I'll be so sad when Parker stops believing in Santa. I believed for a long time when I was a kid...my parents saw to it and I love them for it.
Love,
Bridgett
Oh, my!!!! I think the "one responsible" should really take a good hard look at things....Sorry about all the dissappointment! Sorry about the marker, too. =Can't help you there...I'm still trying to get marker off of my tables. :/ Oh..btw...I'm working on getting a playdough recipe up on my journal :o) I misplaced it after I used it last week.
oh no. That was truly horrible. judi
Unbelievable! And that's exactly the word that is not supposed to go with anything that has to do with Santa....Some people!
I hope you got the marker off the table...
~Tina
You chose the perfect picture for this story. How rotten for them to do that! Those people deserve lumps of coal in their stockings. :(
Post a Comment