Wednesday, December 15, 2004

"Sunrise, Sunset"

"Is this the little girl I carried?
 Is this the little boy at play?
 I don't remember growing older,
 When did they?"


Seventeen, today my first born son turns seventeen....

Spencer, seventeen years ago you entered this world six weeks early.  Although premature, you weighed in at a healthy 7lbs and 9oz's.   You had a head full of jet black hair that stood straight up, and your face was the sweetest face I had ever seen.  On December 23rd, after eight days in the hospital, we brought you home.  Yes, Christmas came early that year.  You, my most precious gift.... 

I remember your firsts.  The first time you walked, the first time you talked, your first day at school, the loss of your first tooth.  At seventeen, you are still experiencing *firsts*, but now I stand back and watch in awe and apprehension.  In awe of your confidence, as you spread your wings for your eventual flight from the nest; in apprehension, as you begin to fly solo out in the world.  Every fiber of my being wants to snatch you back, keep you safe from any harm.  Yet, I know that I must begin to let go, I cannot stop you.  Time marches on, ready or not.

Not.... not ready yet, and for that I'm thankful.  For now I wait for your return from solo flights, leaving the porch light on and not sleeping until I know you are home safe.  I cherish these days because I know that someday soon you'll leave the nest, and the porch light will remain off....

Off.... into the world you'll fly.  My first born son, my pride and joy.  Almost a man, no longer a boy.  Seventeen, today my first born son turns seventeen.  Happy birthday Spencer....

"Sunrise, Sunset...
 Sunrise, Sunset,
 Swiftly fly the years.
 One season following another,
 Laden with happiness and tears...." 

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh very touching... That song is soo beautiful.  We had it played at our wedding, its a very emotional song...

Happy Birthday Spencer... And Mom, just remember, you have two more babies to watch grow up too.  Don't get too sad yet :D
HUGS,
Jennifer
http://journals.aol.com/perkysgrl/APickleForYourThoughts

Anonymous said...

sweet entry. :)  It makes me sad to read it though, because I know exactly what your talking about here.  My first born will be 12 in a couple of weeks. :(  it's a bittersweet feeling.  Happy Birthday Spencer. :D
I used to sing this song a lot when I played the piano, I love it.

Anonymous said...

Happy birthday to dear Spencer..... judi

Anonymous said...

Michelle, you have such a way with words.  HAPPY BIRTHDAY SPENCER!

Anonymous said...

I used these same lyrics at one point in an entry of mine.  They sure do fit at certain times in our children's lives don't they?  Makes me cry every single time I hear that song.  It's so wonderful that you are able to recall all the "firsts" and memories of Spencer.  My brain is mostly mush now and I have to rely on my hubby to tell me what happened.  Happy Birthday again Spencer!!!!!
Hugs and love, Lisa

Anonymous said...

I hope he reads this.  And since he's a teenager which means he automatically hates his parents and every other adult in the world, I hope you save this and give it to him when he becomes human again and can appreciate the love you have for him.  :)

Anonymous said...

Oh  my goodnes. Seventeen. That is a day I am not looking forward to, yet I am.

Happy Birthday Spencer!

~Heather

Anonymous said...

This song always makes me cry!

I really relate to this entry....

~Tina

Anonymous said...

Boy Michelle, this really hits home, my first born, a son also will be 17 on Dec 30, it seems like only yesterday and now suddenly they are driving and wanting more freedom everyday,   Thank you for your wonderful posts,  and Happy Birthday Spencer!!  Tess

Anonymous said...

Happy 17th Birthday, Spencer!!  Whoa.. they grow up fast, don't they, mom?  :)