Christmas was wonderful and exhausting.....
Not to sound *bah-humbugish* but, I'm glad it's over. Still trying to get the kids back on some sort of schedule; and trying to climb out from underneath all the new toys and boxes. Thankfully tomorrow is trash day.... It honestly looks like someone got evicted and the landlord threw their things out on the front lawn. There is THAT much. On Christmas day the boxes literally overtook my small house. Not knowing what to do with them, I thought it would be a good idea to toss them out on the back deck until trash day. Seemed like a good idea until a blizzard blew in on Sunday night covering them with a foot and a half of snow. Incredible how heavy cardboard is when wet. : )
Although Santa was good to everyone this year, Sammi was the amazing one to watch. She was so excited she literally shook. After opening a $5.00 princess wand, she went over and hugged her dad. With tears in her eyes, she whispered, "I've always wanted one of these".... This year, Christmas had enough sweet moments to last a lifetime.
On Sunday night snow began to fall...
....and fall
....and fall.
By Monday we were in the midst of a blizzard. The wind howled and gusts blew up to 60mph. As I watched the snow furiously swirl around outside, I had the surreal feeling that I was in the middle of a giant snowglobe. When the blizzard finally stopped Monday night, Mike and I went out to stand on the deck. No sounds of people, or cars, just silence. The full moon cast a magical glow on the snow around us; I love the first snowfall of the winter.....
Of course that magical feeling disappeared on Tuesday morning, when it took us 3 hours to shovel and snowblow ourselves out. After the work was done and we had some coffee, we took the toddler's out to play. Sammi, now a veteran of maneuvering in snow, effortlessly made snow angels and climbed to the top of the highest snow bank. Mikey kept getting bogged down by the deep snow and whining "I'm stuck".... They had a blast & especially liked building a snowman. The temps are supposed to hit near 50 on New Year's Eve day, so I'm thinking our Frosty is short-lived.
Can't believe New Years is already upon us.... I'm working on New Year's Eve & New Years Day this year, so instead of passing out champagne, I'll be passing out milk of magnesia.... :::Cheers::: "Should auld acquaintance be forgot, and never brought to mind? Should auld acquaintance be forgot and days of auld lang syne...." ~~Happy New Years.
A New Year's resolution is something that goes in one year and out the other. ~Author Unknown
14 comments:
awww, I think it all sounds so sweet and lovely!
my son was beside himself as well on Christmas,
he didn't get a wand but he did get a spinning light globe
that he sooo wanted for christmas. :D
I enjoy my christmas through the eyes of my children.
Love your description about the snow, the silence.
I love that too. :)
happy new years!
My kids used to be equally ecstatic about the small stuff, but they will never have the fun of making snow tunnels or playing King of the Mountain. We got a few flakes once when they were little. My 5yr-old son (now 16) wanted his 7yr-old sister (now 20) to have a "snow chase". At which point 6 yr-old know-it-all(now 18) came barreling out of her bedroom yelling, "Logan, you idiot! It's not nighttime!"
"Huh?"
"It's not nighttime! It's not bueno snowchase! (buenos noches)".
If you're gonna eavesdrop, get the whole story. :)
Kathy
awwwwww...........wonderful entry and I just love the photo! too cute!
~JerseyGirl
LOL, guess Santa should have brought a new toy box too! At least you didn't bring home a Christmas bug! More about it in my journal later.
Ohhhh, how sweet! the magic wand thingie is fantastic. Now, here's the trick...
when you really want Sammie (and Mikey) to pick up their toys, pretend you're a fairy godmother and hold the wand and make magic sounds with it, but tell them it only works if they help with the magic by showing the fairy godmother where things go. Yeah, I'm strange, but it worked for us! We had "nickel fairy" come and check to see if the bedrooms were clean. For any item out of place, my beasties owed the nickel fairy a nickel. And yes, I used a real fairy wand. Because I'm a real fairy. :)
How wonderful this entry was. The photo is darling. HAPPY NEW YEAR, MICHELLE, to you and your family.
Melody
Happy New Year to you and your family from mine...
Hugs,
heather
You always have a way of adding a cute twist to everything :)
I enjoyed reading about your Christmas memories, created this year. Er... last year, that is.
Happy New Year!!! [and pass the milk of magnesia]
Mia
Hi Michelle! I enjoyed stopping by your blog. Was wondering where you are with all the snow... we're in Florida wishing for a white Christmas --but usually only on that one day and then I'm over it though we're from Ohio and used to the snow !! Strange decorating palm trees with lights...somehow it doesn't seem quite right! Needing to expand my journal world a bit and glad I ran into another busy mom... I too have my hands full with three kids and self employment!! The holidays seem to have taken up every spare moment! I love the title of your journal and the kids are sooooooo cute!! Thanks for sharing some of your world with us! We have several nurses in the family and they always have interesting stories to tell us... and warnings too (LOL!) Stop by anytime and check out my journal when ya have time (TIME? Yeah, right... the one thing we all need a little more of!) Well Happy New Year and hope 2005 is a good one!!
Lisa
http://journals.aol.com/randlprysock/AdventuresFromFlorida/
Awww...we just got enough snow to make it worth playing in. I'm hoping to take Parker out later this week. Although I have to say, I'm not so sure he's going to like the mittens and headwear. LOL My Parker is a stubborn one.
The pictures are adorable, as always. And I'm so glad your kids had a wonderful Christmas. Parker, once again, refused to open his presents. All that wrapping for nothing...<sigh>
Happy New Year, my friend!
Love,
Bridgett
I'm glad it's over too. Now, we can focus on other things. And yessss... the boxes were bad here too. LOL We had to put them all out the night before we left for Florida for New Years and when we left the next morning at 5 a.m. I could swear there was a mountain of trash in front of my house. Argh! Love the princess wand story. Awww.. kids are so easy to please, right?? Love it! :D
What a sweet account of Sammi's Christmas spirit. Brought tears to my eyes. And how wonderful to get snow! I love those peaceful, magical moments of silence when snow is falling or has just fallen. It's the days after that make me wanna scream. It's been pouring buckets here for a week. Yeah, cardboard is heavy when wet. Ick.
Happy New Year Michelle and family. :D
wonderful picture, happy New Year!!!! judi
I love your picture!
You know, the part you wrote about Sammi was so sweet. How wonderful to be so moved by a princess wand....
You sure reminded me why I don't like snow!
~Tina
Post a Comment