Tuesday, October 19, 2004

Flu Vaccinations

By now most everyone is aware of the flu vaccine shortage.  Many people who are normally vaccinated, will not be this year.  There is no doubt, that many individuals  are concerned about this shortage.  As the flu season approaches and the *not enough flu vaccines* becomes a reality, there will be a level of hysteria beginning.  Already there are people waiting in lines, that form the night before, for a chance at getting vaccinated.  It was reported a few days ago, that an elderly woman died while waiting in one of these long lines.  And so as the nation becomes aware and the hysteria begins, I wonder what is the media's responsibility....

Last night as I watching TV, a commercial came on.  A commercial about the importance of getting the flu vaccine.  The commercial stated that 36,000 adults, children and infants die from the flu every year.  At the end of the commercial it said, "Get your flu vaccination"...  I thought considering the circumstances,  this commercial was in poor taste, irresponsible, and will definitely cause anxiety's to rise.  Maybe a more responsible approach would be; commercials educating the unvaccinated masses on how people can decrease their chances of contracting the flu?  Nah....... because the media is about hype & hysteria. 

Anyone else still have their duct tape, plastic and 25 gallons of water?  I didn't need it for a chemical attack; wonder if the plastic and duct tape will help protect me from the flu?

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

Isn't it the truth?? One county here has already ran out. Our local news is telling us that other counties have it, but you have to prove resisdency to get it. It is sad really.

~Heather

Anonymous said...

Yeah that flu vaccination thing is getting scary.  Everyone in our family gave up  their right to a flu shot so that it was guaranteed that IRUN's dad could get his.  From which he did, he stood in a  long line until he got it, but he's got it now.

The media should be promoting more postive messages, or pretty soon the sick will be getting pushed out lines by the more well ones.  Or hospital breakin's will occur to try to get their bootleg vaccines and sell them on the streets!!  Look I am getting all hyped up, and I never get those flu shots.  crazy.

Anonymous said...

I saw that commercial and thought the same thing. I have many family and friends who won't get their flu shots this year. Most of them are worried. How could they not be? *Barb*

Anonymous said...

I heard even Pres. Bush and Laura Bush aren't getting vaccinated this year!
~JerseyGirl

Anonymous said...

I unfortunately work in the school system, so I am going to take extra precautions of . . . ready . . . Washing my hands on a continual basis and wearing my gloves as I am supposed to do.  WOW!  Go figure huh?!  Actually, last year Emma and Bethany BOTH got the flu vaccine and they both got sicker than I have EVER seen them, so I wasn't going to even bother getting it for them this year.  You are correct, the media is making this sound much worse than it actually is.
Hugs and love, Lisa

Anonymous said...

You're right, that commercial sounds irresponsible.  I suppose it was planned for release before they realized there would be a shortage in the vaccination... but still, are we not able to pull ads that are untimely or inappropriate?  Sheez...  Shana

Anonymous said...

Wow, not only was it an inappropriate commercial, but it was probably an expensive commercial, too. I wonder who paid for it?  The Surgeon General's office?  If so, can you imagine what else that $300,000 could have gone for?  

I haven't seen any such commercials, though, admittedly, I "bloop bloop" my way through every commercial nowadays.  But you're right, it sounds like it did more harm than good.

Anonymous said...

I, too practice washing my hands on a regular basis.  Also I take Vitamin C everyday.  I've never had a flu shot and I've only had the flu once in the past five years.  Everyone I know that does get one gets really sick every year.  I'll pass.  

Anonymous said...

Poor taste? Boy, you`re not kiddin`!
V

Anonymous said...

Hiya Michelle,
I am a sister "forty something" mom out in California. I have been reading your journal for several months now and just love it!
Thanks for all the inspirational stories of simply "living" that you share with us.

I just had to post to this one (my first post here) to let you know that I admire your sharp wit and keen sense of right and wrong.

Thanks so much for keeping it real
: )

Darlene

Anonymous said...

Michelle ~

I'm all caught up!!  Woot!  Slap my back and call me Tootie!  (Okay, I don't know where that came from).

Anyway, Miffy is just adorable.  I think you did the right thing buying Sammi a new one.  It's just so sweet.  

Your story about the 'crying boy' reminded me of Parker.  It's taking him some time adjusting to his Early Intervention classes.  He doesn't cry the whole time...just in between each project.  LOL  

By the way, thanks for your support about Parker's hearing issues.  While I'm terribly sorry your son has some hearing loss...I am glad to know he's doing well and living a normal life.  It made me feel so much better.

As for this flu vaccine issue...I COULDN'T AGREE MORE!

Take care, sweetie!

Love,
Bridgett

Anonymous said...

I hate the hype!  Flu vaccinations are overrated anyway...

~Tina

Anonymous said...

We're among those who never get vaccinated for the flu, so the shortage didn't seem like a huge thing to me.  The media is well-known for spreading mass hysteria.  Also, one reason why flu vaccine advertisement might be on the rise at this time is because it creates a higher demand for a product in short supply. That allows drug companies to raise their prices on the flu vaccine. We've already seen some evidence of price gouging.  It's ridiculous.  This is just one more area in which Bush screwed up - why hire competant companies in the US when you can outsource it for cheaper??  ::smirk::  Anyway... like you, I think it's far more important for people to consider how to prevent themselves from getting sick this season [and every season, really...]  Wash your hands!  Wash your kid's hands!  Avoid people who are sick.  Take care of yourself - eat right, take your vitamins, and drink lots of water.  It's common sense stuff, yeah?

Anonymous said...

great entry. I live outside of DC.... of course I have my duct tape. Thank you for your friendship and support. judi