Sunday, October 10, 2004

Easter Arrives Early

The diamond remains lost, the lawn mower and dishwasher are still broken, and DON'T ask about the van.  But I'm not complaining, I received what I asked for..... "calm waters."   Well, as calm as the waters can be with a teen and two toddlers around.

Along with the arrival of colorful leaves in the autumn, fair season has also arrived in New England.  The wood-turning club that Mike belongs to, A.R.T. - Association of Revolutionary Turners, has a booth at the fair, so Mike has been enjoying working there giving demonstrations.  Adding to his enjoyment, is the opportunity to sell some of his creations.  He's done well, sold a few goblets, a walnut bowl for $85.00 and an apple bowl for $110.00.  :::scratching head, "who would pay that much for a wooden bowl?::::  Note to Mike:  Honey, I think you are incredibly talented and I love your work, but I would NOT pay $110.00 for a wooden bowl, lol.  Wood-turning brings Mike such joy, I think he'd still turn wood even if he didn't make a cent. 

We've gone to the fair twice this week so far.... Have I mentioned how much I love the fair?  The smell of fair food, fried dough, hot apple cider, kettle corn, the lights, and the music merrily wafting in the air.  Hearing carousel music still makes me smile. 

....Other things that make me smile at the fair are:

Going on rides that make me dizzy, watching baby chicks hatch in their incubators, marveling at the size of the largest pumpkin (1,275 lbs), watching an artist at work carving a statue with a chainsaw, strolls through the animal exhibits and pretending that the stench doesn't bother me, listening to by-gone groups perform, :::my favorite this year was 'The Charlie Daniels Band':::, watching the Flying Willendes perform, of course, only after the dung from the horse show had been scooped up.  Yes,  these things somehow have the ability to transport me back to another time, simpler, more carefree days.   Now I am happily making memories with my children at the fair.  ....I hope that the carousel music always makes them smile, too.    

Speaking of smiling, Sammi has been doing alot of that lately.  Since Sammi recently expressed her sadness about her bunny Hpppy, who died last June, we've been trying to decide if we should get her another one.  We tentatively agreed that Easter would be a good time to bring a new bunny into our lives....

Who knew Easter would arrive last Thursday?

Thursday night we went to the fair.  As we entered the rabbit & cavie hut, I urged myself to "Be strong.  No rabbit, no rabbit."  But a little voiced whispered, "Maybe you can get a bunny, if the 'right one' comes along."  As I approached the door to exit the building without a rabbit in tow, I was feeling quite proud of myself.  And then it happened.... I turned around and saw Mike with Sammi, standing at a table holding a small white and gray bunny.  Even from a distance, I knew....

The girl that raised the bunny, told us that the bunny was a 6 month old female and very sweet.  She had been raised with children.... I was taken aback at how this small creature surrounded by the chaos of the fair, seemed so calm and gentle.  Yes, she was the "right one."  Darn you, whispering voice, lol.  Sammi has named her new bunny Miffy, and as you can tell in the above picture, Miffy is already well loved.  And so, Easter has arrived early.

But what I want to know is....

             Where are the marshmallow peeps and jelly beans?

                                                                                                                            

 

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh I love going to fairs, and for all the reasons you do. We just had one here not long ago, in August. Lots of fun, wonderful smells, great rides, friendly people.

Anonymous said...

One of my friends has two pet rabbits (not sure of the breed) who are her indoor pets.  She has a friend who has a rabbit that she can't keep and begged me to help.  Sorry, couldn't do it, especially not with two cats in the house.  Plus, I'm just not into more responsibilty.  But if I had a little Sammi who would smile that big for a bunny, I think my mind would change.  She looks elated!

Anonymous said...

Awwww, how cute!!!!  I am not even gonna show this picture to my oldest daughter because she has been bugging me for 3 years to get her a bunny!!  I tell her "No, the dogs will eat it!", she tell me "no, I will keep it safe".  I tell her "No, the cats will eat it!", she rolls her eyes and says "MOOOM!".  Sigh, I already have a zoo, I don't want a poopy pebble making machine in the house too!  Hee-hee!  But, hey, that's just me, your Miffy is absolutely adorable and I love the look of total bliss on your daughter's face!!!  And, thanks for describing the fair to me.  We couldn't go this year, but you made me remember what it was like.  Sigh!
Hugs and love, Lisa

Anonymous said...

Oh, I am so glad she got a new bunny!  She looks so happy....thank goodness for that little whispering voice...;)

I love the fair too...

~Tina

Anonymous said...

Aww, Beautiful Pic!
V

Anonymous said...

Oh, what a sweet, innocent, beautiful picture of the little one with her bunny.  I'm so glad you were able to fill Sammi's void with the 'perfect bunny'.  You always know when something is right for you or your loved ones...
Hugs,
Jennifer

Anonymous said...

Love the picture and your description of autumn in New England is awesome too!  Makes me homesick!  What state are you in?  I'd love to find a fair around here like the one you tell about in this entry.  I think I'll look for one to attend this weekend.  Got any pictures of your husband's handiwork?  Those bowls sound cool!   But a little out of my price range!  Miffy looks wonderful!  LUCKY SAMMI!  And so happy too!  God loves the little children, doesn't He?  And we do too!  Shana

Anonymous said...

That smile says it all........
(forget the peeps and jelly beans.....Cadbury eggs baby!)
Candace

Anonymous said...

Fairs at this time of the year are wonderful!  Aww, so sweet of you to get the bunny, look at that smile on her face!  Wonderful photo!
~JerseyGirl
 

Anonymous said...

sweet entry.  lots of memories floating about in here :D
that bunny really looks sweet!  so cuddly too :)  my 3 year old would love any animal to death.....ever seen Of mice and men?  And that big guy that loved....I think it was kitties....to death.  Anyway.
yes, Fair's are really nice, I just don't like paying the money to get in. :p

Anonymous said...

oh lovely! Before I left my old life, we got a brown lop-earred bunny that we named Cadberry. He has stayed with my son, and I miss Cadberry but know that my son loves him too. Blessings!!!!! :):) judi

Anonymous said...

SO much I want to comment on. But so afraid I'll kicked kicked offline before I save it.

Loved this entry. I really like what you do with your photos!

I've watched wood-turning on TV I'll bet that brings such joy to him. That does take talent! I'd like to see more pics of that too.

y'all take care and enjoy that fall weather!

Mia

Anonymous said...

Congrats to Mike on his big sales!!  Woohoo.  Honestly, I'm with you.  I'm not the type to spend that much on a wooden bowl either - I don't care HOW fabulous is it.  LOL  But I know there are people who WILL.  That's the people he should be marketing too.  His talent obviously is deserving.  :)

Sounds like a lot of fun at the fair!  All our fairs here are pretty generic.  Still, when the weather is nice, it's worth going just for the sausage on a stick and funnel cakes!  Mmm..

And welcome to the family, Miffy!!  Adorable.  Sammie looks happy, Momma.  How can you say no to that??  :P

Anonymous said...

im just browsing thru and i realize this is an older entry but...i noticed your picture of the bunny i almost started crying..i just lost a bunny of mine..i was very attatched to her..and she looked just like the one in your pictures...ming you...i havent been able to find any pictures of other rabbits that look anything like her!!!