Friday, September 3, 2004

What's This?

Even at age 42, I still occasionally learn something new to keep life interesting.  After all, who knows everything except God and my teen-aged son?  :::smile:::

The other day Mike brought home some brussels sprouts.  Yeah, right no big deal.  Brussels sprouts seem to be one of those vegetables that people seem to either love or despise.  No in-between.... I personally love those little pungent leafy bundles of goodness.   Hmmm, think Dan Quayle would know how to spell brussels sprouts correctly?

As much as I adore them, I've never given much thought to how they grow.  Was a bit more pre-occupied putting butter, salt and pepper on them.  Because brussels sprouts have always reminded me of cabbage, I just assumed they sprung forth from the earth like cabbage.  

Wrong!  Imagine my surprise when Mike pulled this large stalk out of the grocery bag.  Those are brussels sprouts?  I checked the stalk for signs of crazy glue or staples in case he was playing a joke on me.  But it quickly became apparent this was the real thing.  Brussels sprouts grow on a very thick 3- 4 foot stalk, much like a sunflowers.  I had to use a small paring knife to cut each one off.  There were about 50 sprouts on this stalk, unfortunately, the novelty of harvesting them from the stalk wore off after about 30, lol.   

I just love learning something new, experiencing that sense of wonder.  However, it seems to happen less and less these days.  But no worries, I know I'll never know everything....  After all, who knows everything but God and my teen-aged son?

Today's Quote:

You know that children are growing up when they start asking questions that have answers.
— John J. Plomp

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

The artwork to go with your entry is just too coool!  And I can relate to God & your teenage son... I've got that 14 year old I'm learning all about life from now... Thanks for the cheerful entry! Shana

Anonymous said...

Hey, thanks. I learned something new. I didn't know that either. Hugs. *Barb*

Anonymous said...

I had no idea that's how they grew, nor have I ever seen them like that, still on the stalk......I didn't even realize there was a stalk........well, Ilearned something new today too!  great photo!
~jerseygirl

Anonymous said...

I never knew they grew like broccoli either!!  I remember looking for asparagus on the side of the roads when my Italian grandmother would be driving though, so I at least know how they grow!  Usually in the worst possible place and in between a poison ivy and poison sumac.  Unfortunately, I never found that out until AFTER the fact!  Hee-hee!  Thanks for enriching our lives with yet more knowledge!  :)
Hugs and love, Lisa

Anonymous said...

Hmm, brussel sprouts... I do adore.  They are sooo much better right off the stock too.  Your hubby sure did good bringing them home that way.  Good job "husband"
Hugs,
Jennifer

Anonymous said...

That is so interesting. I thought they grew like cabbabge too.

~Heather

Anonymous said...

I've never given much thought to how they grow either.  Honestly, I'm not a fan. ::shiver:: Still, I've never seen them at the store in this form. Strange, isn't it?  I guess most of us buy them frozen.  LOL  Weird.  :/

Anonymous said...

I wish I could be as creative as to take an entry about brussel sprouts and make it interesting. LOL!! I love the "staples and glue part" not to mention the "God and my teenage son." You crack me up:)...

Anonymous said...

wow, I never knew that!   my husband LOVES brussels sprouts!  But, I really can't remember if I have tried them since being an adult. I do like cabbage....
anyway. thanks for the information.  I love to learn, it keeps you young. :)

Anonymous said...

WELL IT IS NICE TO LEARN SOMETHING NEW... I LOVE BRUSSEL SPROUTS BUT I THOUGHT THEY HAD SOMETHING TO DO WITH CABBAGE! LOL
ANYWAY MY NAME IS ALSO MICHELLE AND I ENJOY READING THIS JOURNAL BECAUSE IT SHOWS ME THAT I'M INDEED NOT ALONE IN THE CHAOTIC WORLD OF MOTHERHOOD!
WHAT REALLY MADE ME REALIZE THIS WAS READING THE ENTRY ABOUT THE TOOTHPASTE IN THE BATHROOM. I OFTEN WONDERED IF MY BOYS WERE THE ONLY KIDS THAT LEFT TOOTHPASTE IN WEIRD PLACES! LOL
I HAVE FOUR KIDS...ALL BOYS, AGES 10, 8, 6, AND 5 ....AND YES I HAVE MY HANDS FULL!
IT SURE IS NICE TO KNOW THAT OTHER MOTHER'S GO THROUGH THE SAME STRESS THAT I DO.
NOW LET ME PASS ON SOME "ADVICE" A FRIEND GAVE ME..........
REMEMBER; YOU REAP WHAT YOU SOW AND WHAT YOU PUT INTO THE LIVES OF OTHERS COMES BACK INTO YOUR OWN.
THE HAPPIEST OF PEOPLE DON'T NECESSARILY HAVE THE BEST OF EVERYTHING; THEY JUST MAKE THE BEST OF EVERYTHING THEY HAVE.
AND LAST BUT NOT LEAST...WHEN YOU WERE BORN YOU WERE CRYING AND EVERYONE AROUND YOU WAS SMILING. LIVE YOUR LIFE AT THE END SO YOU'RE THE ONE SMILING AND EVERYONE AROUND YOU IS CRYING!!!!!!!
GOD BLESS YOU ALL!

Anonymous said...

My daddy grows brussels sprouts. But...I swear, I don't remember them looking like that. :P  I'm not helping him in the garden enough.

I love the quote!