Mikey is still adjusting to his toddler bed. I never planned on taking him out of his crib so young, but his constant Houndini escapades have dictated otherwise. Bedtimes have been difficult with no bars holding him in and naptimes are now non-existent. I'm thinking everyone is a bit sleep deprived lately. A temporary condition I'm sure, well, at least until they hit the teen years, lol
After a sluggish start yesterday, I finally got motivated enough to get everyone dressed at 1pm & run much needed errands. First we went to my work to pick up last week's paycheck and then we went to the bank to deposit my millions. After the bank it was off to the grocery store. But on that fifteen minute drive to the grocery store something glorious happened.
Both kids fell asleep in their car seats at the same time. YES!! Naptime returns..... My mind began spinning, how can I let them sleep and still get some quiet me time in? Then in the distance the answer came to me....
Sprouting from the horizon as if it were a sign from God, I spied the Golden Arches. Perfect! I'll go through the drive-thru and get something deliciously unhealthy to eat. Then savor each greasy bite while the toddler's nap behind me totally unaware. I got a cheeseburger and diet coke and then pulled into an empty parking space. I locked the doors, turned up some tunes on a soft rock station and even found a magazine I've been wanting to read in the van. Yes, I found a bit of heaven on Rte #1....
I guess it was a bit too peaceful, because I ended up nodding off too. I woke up about 30 minutes later. What a sight that must have been for the customer's that were parked next to me. I wondered briefly if they felt any sympathy for this exhausted woman, or if they laughed while I dozed gaped mouthed and drooling. But that thought only entered my mind for a moment. Because the only thing that really mattered to me was....
Naptime returned yesterday! And I embrace any naptime these days, even under those glorious Golden Arches. Thank you McDonalds, I had a wonderful time yesterday...
26 comments:
Loved this entry and the graphic is adorable.
LOL! I have taken a nap in the Walmart parking lot with my sleeping children in the van. I woke up angry though. I was appalled that not one person stopped by to check on us. I mean, for all they know, we could have had carbon monoxide poisoning or something. Oh wait, the car was turned off, nevermind.
Loved this entry....I could relate!
Naptime in the car! Don't you just love it!!! Sounds like you are feeling much better. Diet Coke, grease and napping kids. They should bottle it LOL
~Heather
p.s I finally got my journal started
http://journals.aol.com/emeraldcalf/ThisnThat
This is so funny. I am so happy you found a space of time for yourself...even if it was under the golden arches....hey...desperate times call for desperate measures!!!
I feel your pain. Grace is trying to give up napping again! I love your little driving car graphic.
Thanks for coming over and having a visit. I don't know why you don't think your graphics are any good. Just look above!! How funny is that. The two that stick out in my mind is your computer on fire and the dancing baby. You crack me up!!
~Heather
Hee-hee! I wonder if you had a cheeseburger hanging out of your mouth too as you were sleeping!! I think that anyone who parked next to you who had children would look into your car and go "Oh, her 2 kids have just started the no nap thing." and fully understand. Isn't it great getting a few minutes to yourself, even if it is in a McDonald's parking lot!? Who cares! Take what you can get, when you can get it!!
Hugs and love, Lisa
I just had to add this one, I thought of you at McD's, kids are napping..
"BADA-BADA-BOP-BA-BA, I'm Loving IT"
(sorry I can't sing :)
~Heather
Wait a minute... something here doesn't quite ring true. You mean that you, an intelligent woman with appropriate taste buds actually went to McDonald's for yourself, on purpose?? No!! It must have been the insomnia-induced mental block. No adult goes to McDonald's unless they are trying to bribe a kid.
I loved the image of you drooling on the steering wheel. Woo hoo!!
having a son in college, a daughter in highschool,and a toddler in pre-school, I have found that parenting both a teenager and a toddler are pretty much the same, they both want independence,but still need their mommy!!! My son calls often from college to ask questions regarding grocery shopping and "good" foods to buy.I guess he forgot all that we taught them years ago.Or maybe its his way of making me still feel needed. I also found having a baby after 40,means that you can't gaze into their eyes while holding them close,because my vision has failed me, and I can only focus on his face if held at arms length!
I have done that! I used to keep a book in my car for times like that....and it's the only time you don't have to share your fries...
~Tina
Hi! We had to take my son out of his crib at 15 months! He kept climbing out and falling on his head! Of coures, that led him to crawling in to bed with us! Oh well! God bless, Beckie
I truly loved this entry. I think because it demonstrates EXACTLY what most mom's endure, sleepless or restless nights. It's totally adorable that you were able to catch a breather beneath the golden arches. What a story to tell your kids as they grow. :)
LOL this was so funny. I could actually picture you there with your mouth open drooling and snoozing away. ha Ha too funny!
I'm glad you all three got a nap.
Lahoma
That is great you had a good time. I envy you having kids with such a differnce in ages. John
Hi, Michelle!
This is my first visit to your journal! Great reading!
I can SO RELATE to you too! We share a few things in common: 1. Belief in God, 2. A teenager (almost 2 of them for me) and 2 younger ones in the family (3 YO twins for me), 3. Being happier in marriage the second time around!
I am in the midst of a pretty hectic relocation this summer, but by fall, I expect my journal will be back to the "normal" zaney days of school, after school and trying to get in a moment of peace and quiet for myself in between...
Hope to return often to check on your sanity progress. Great to "meet" you online.
Shana
I TOO HAVE A TEEN ACTUALLY TWO OF THEM AS WELL AS A 2 YEAR OLD AND A 16 MONTH OLD SO LIFE GETS PRETTY OUT OF CONTROL CRAZY AT TIMES AND I CAN FEEL YOUR PAIN.
I HAVE A SUGGESTION REGARDING YOUR BABY IN THE BIG BOY BED.
WE HAVE THAT EXACT DELIMNA OURSELVES SO WE USE BABY MONITORS AS WELL AS DOUBLE BABY GATING HIS BEDROOM. WE HAD TO DO THIS AS WE FOUND OUR TWO YEAR OLD "BRANDEN" IN THE CAR WHICH IS PARKED IN OUR GARAGE. BRANDEN HAD TAKEN OUR GOLDEN RETRIEVER "BEAR" AND PLACED HIM IN THE DRIVERS SEAT BUCKLED IN MIND YOU, AND THEN BUCKLED HIMSELF INTO THE PASSENGER SEAT. WE WOKE UP HEARING OUR REMOTE CONTROLLED GARAGE DOOR OPENING AND CLOSING REPEATEDLY.
I GUESS THEY WERE TRYING TO SKIP TOWN.
THAT'S KINDA WHAT IT LOOKED LIKE.
WE NOW KEEP THE CAR DOORS LOCKED AT ALL TIMES AND WE ADDED A FEW NEW DEAD BOLTS AS WELL AS WINDOW LOCKS.
SCARY HUH?
I LOVED READING ABOUT YOUR TRIP TO MCDONALD'S. I THINK THAT IS EXACTLY WHAT I AM GOING TO DO TODAY LOL.
Hello!
I am just now stopping by your journal for the first time. I know just what you mean about the toddler beds. It used to be that around noon, I would lay our daughter down for a nap and there was no problems but now that there are no bars, she will not stay in bed. So around four or five in the evening she is very tired and cranky so dinner doesnt go so well and to top it off she DOES take those late naps often no matter how much we try to keep her awake, so therefore, she really wont go to bed at a good hour because she had a "cat" nap that gave her some ENERGY! Lol. Its okay right now, we can handle it but boy, it was hard during the spring because I was taking classes at the local community college and I cant start studying until after they go to bed. So, I wasnt starting my work until 11 p.m. or so! Yikes! So, yes I know what you mean about being so tired and just wanting to Nap! LOL. Now, my daughter wont stay in her bed at night much. I think it is b/c it is so small. I really dont like toddler beds much. They are nice for the "transition" but she rolls around so much she ends up on the floor often and it wakes her up. Today is her birthday and we bought her the Strawberry Shortcake comforter/sheetset for her and my husband is getting ready to put up a new bed in her room (a twin size), so hopefully that will help since she will be all comfy in a "big" bed. :o)
Just wanted to say hello. Hope things get easier for you. It will though, dont worry.
Angela
I remember how I treasured the kids nap time...glad you were able to catch some zzzz's
Michelle,
You are hilarious! You should write a novel and get it published. But you know what is funny, your life sounds like mine's. I am a married, stay at home mom with a 2 year old son and a 10mth old daughter. I feel so guilty not cleaning the house! I never get my naps! I miss my television shows because my 2 year old always want to watch his shows! I have to tell him, we have to take turns, isn't that something...telling a 2 year old who doesn't work or pay bills that we have to take turns!
Kim
this is my first time visiting this site and I must say I agree with you completely. I have a 2 year old son who managed to escape from his crib when he was 15 months old. He has been in a toddler bed since. What I found that helped was the mesh guard rails. I use one on each side of his bed and I put a gate up on his door so he couldn't roam the house at nite. I definatly agree that nap time is no more... The only way I can get my son to take a nap is by putting him in the car and driving him around, and then I do exactly what you did, I stop to get a bite to eat, sit in the parking lot and read. 9 times out of 10 I fall asleep too, and other customers do look at you weird when you wake up, but if they've got children, they know what you're going through, and if they don't, one day they will. I think you are hilarious and I am definately going to start reading this often.
...funny!......
Elizabeth
LoL.. Woohoo!! Get 'em anyway you can, darlin'! tehehe.. That's just too cute. What is it about a car that will make a kid go to sleep? Maybe you should start making afternoon drives around the block?
Crap..it's almost one in the morning here and now I'm craving a McDonald's cheeseburger. Grrrrr... LOL
LOL--good for you michelle! I did that for awhile too, drove my son around...just to capture a few or just one precious hour of time. lol. It worked for a little while....
and the bed thing, as long as I was consistent in putting my son back to bed, within two weeks he wasn't getting up again.
though, now...for some reason....that's all changed. I wake up every morning with him glued to my head. sleeping peacfully. oh well.. :p
wonserful story!! Reminds me of the 1950's when my husband and I ran a small service station . We had a little girl who loved to ride in the old car. She would settle down right away and she added another step [W had no McDonalds, just riding} Starla would be outside in he infant seat and start ,ffussing, then she would reach her little hand out toward the old car and I soon learned that she could be quickly taken to dreamland if we just took a short drive.
EffieTempe
About the toddler bed...a couple months ago..i put my 18 month old down for a nap, and then i went to lay down myself, then as im laying down, i hear, "THUNK!...WAAAAAHH". So i get up and run down the hall, and there he sits on the floor, cocking his head at the crib like, "wait..i was just up there..." lol, I went out that very day and bought him a blue race car toddler bed from Toys R Us. HE loved it at first, because he loves cars, but the next night, i woke up in the middle of the night to, *poke poke*.."mommy!", followed by a couple laps around the house chasing him, lol. but he understood after a couple of nights that it was, "you sleep in it, or you dont sleep at all" lol. thanksfor sharing your story, feel free to email me!
Post a Comment