Wednesday, February 25, 2004

"People, dear sweet people"

Over the A Shau Valley 

picture by Gary Jacobson....

I began writing poetry at the age of eleven.  That was the year that I found out about the war in Vietnam.  Yes, I lived a sheltered life, my parent's thought it was best.  The Vietnam war began before I was born and I don't blame my parent's from shielding me from the horrors of war.  They protected the innocence of my childhood.  I grew up practicing bomb-drills at school.  When the alarm went off, I would dutifully cover my head and crawl under the desk.  I thought these drills were always exciting.   Of course I knew there had been wars, but I was unaware that there was still a war raging.  Ironically the day I became aware of the war, was the day the Vietnam war was coming to an end. A cease-fire was declared.  I remember that day so clearly....  It was a bright sunny day and I was practicing the piano in the livingroom.  I heard a fire truck siren wail outside. Upon opening the door, my ears were filled with the sounds of sirens and churchbells pealing in the distance.  There were people outside clapping & others nearby were setting off fireworks.  My Mom and I stood by the door listening, watching.  After about a minute I asked, "Mom, what's happening?"  She said, "The war is over...."  I exclaimed, "There was a war?"  

I wrote this first poem at age eleven in Mrs. Henry's science class.  She was a stern teacher who demanded your attention at all times.  Unfortunately for me, I've always been a daydreamer.  Unless the subject interested me, my mind wandered elsewhere.  On this day my mind was on the war and so I began to write,  "People, dear sweet people, gather to the steeple...."

**To be continued,,,,,

16 comments:

Anonymous said...

THANK YOU Song!!
Vince

Anonymous said...

Hey there Songbird! I've always been a daydreamer too! So I know what you mean about not being able to concentrate on something that doesn't hold you interest. Took a long time to overcome that. But it's still there if I'm not careful. :-)

Gregg

Anonymous said...

I love this entry.. Very cute. I like the beginning of your poem. Share the rest if you got to it! I am sometimes a daydreamer, usually the teacher can find the dreamers and get their attention, but I usually am in the discussion or in my assignment. =)
Jeri

Anonymous said...

Thanks for sharing that story...do you remember the rest of the poem...I'd love to hear it.

Anonymous said...

So you have been dreaming and writing for quite awhile now....that's not a surprise....pretty deep thoughts for eleven years old...
~Tina

Anonymous said...

There's a little bit more to the story, and yes, I saved the poem.... I have all my poetry from 11 yrs old and up. I'll be finishing this story and sharing the first poem I ever wrote. It's called "Another Soldier Gone".... and that is the 1st line up above.

Anonymous said...

I look forward to reading the poem!

XO ~ Bridgett

Anonymous said...

Oh, Michelle! Don't leave us hangin'. I can't wait to see the rest of your poem! I too was a day dreamer as a kid. After doing a lot of aol J reading, I have found than a lot of us were. (I still am)

Anonymous said...

Those few lines from the poem sound promising. What a historical background to the poem. The Vietnam was was one of those historical landmarks that impacted our lives permanently. Now we are facing a totally different enemy, but hopefully the lessons of that war are not forgotten.

Anonymous said...

Yup, daydreamer here too. Universe-Traveller in my head! Great opening line... beautiful background story. Looking forward to more :)

Anonymous said...

ahhh..it sounds so nice...I see were getting the rest??? :)

I was born in 1967, kind of at the end...so, I don't remember it. but, it still seemed to have absorbed into me. because I have a strange fascination to it. I have even wrote a few poems as well...not until I was in high school though.
well, I can't wait to read more of your poem....

Anonymous said...

Good spin on what some call a lazy habit ... daydreaming. Nah, its just the creativity flowing, overwhelming, rendering us incapable of performing other tasks!!

~ Karyn
http://beta.journals.aol.com/karynetaylor/WhateverItTakesMyChoices/

Anonymous said...

daydreamer here as well.....
my quote under my high school yearbook photo is:
"A dreamer lives for eternity." that was in the year 1980!
~cindy

Anonymous said...

Oh, I can't wait to read your poem! So far it sounds like it will be a good one! What a talented person you are!! I am so jealous!
Hugs and love, Lisa

Anonymous said...

For whatever reason, I got goosebumps when I read this entry. I still long for a world without war, the threat of war, the need for war, or the hunger for war. But to know that something so ugly inspired something so beautiful in you, Michelle - a true, honest, and overwhelming gift - makes it all seem easier to deal with. No less vulgar... but easier to deal with.

Anonymous said...

Your story today resonated with me...I too grew up during a war..WWII. There was no keeping that one secret. It was in the newsreels at the movies, in the paper front page, on the radio bulletins interupting programs,, Stars in front windows for how many sons you had in the war. Scary stuff. I too was a dreamer and poet from an early age. That's a good thing for us..but teachers didn't share the view, Ha! Love your journal ~Barb