Sunday, February 29, 2004

"People, dear sweet people" (continued)

(Continued from below...)

And so I sat in Mrs. Henry's class, daydreaming.  I had written most of the poem before Mrs. Henry realized I wasn't paying attention.  She walked up and grabbed the piece of paper off my desk.  I quietly said good-bye to my poem because I was sure she would crumple it up and toss it in the trash.  Instead, she read it and was very quiet.  She then placed the paper back down, smiled and said, "very nice but
finish it later."  I did, in the next class.... Although only words from a naive 11 year old girl, this poetry is my only published piece of work.  On a whim, one day I sent this poem to the Boston Globe.  I was only 12 and was thrilled when they wrote back saying they would publish it in their Sunday paper.  True to their word my poem was published in the Sunday paper.  In the kids section of the funny paper!  I was disappointed; not because of my poem's placement, but because someone had taken the liberty to edit my poem so much, that I hardly recognized it anymore. Like Mrs. Henry almost did to my poem a year earlier, I tossed the published version in the trash.

picture by Gary Jacobson


"Another Soldier Gone"

People, dear sweet people,
Gather to the steeple.
A war is on,
Some soldiers gone,
Some bullets fly,
You hear a curdling cry.
Another soldier is gone.
You hear a bang,
A churchbell rang,
Another soldier is gone.
You hear a boom,
In the hospital there is no room;
So another soldier is gone.
In come the tanks,
Men rushing out of their ranks.
Soon more young men
Come marching in,
All too soon to die.

Back at home a young wife weeps
From sorrow and pain.
The little one's tears form
A puddle of rain.
Then you hear a bang,
Another churchbell rang.
The war is over,
But all the soldiers are gone....

Written in 1973 by Michelle/s0ngbird1962

17 comments:

Anonymous said...

Michelle ~ It's taking all my strength to muster up the words to comment. This has GOT to be the most powerful entry you've ever written. The entry. The poem. The image. Eleven years old!! I'm thrilled about the way your teacher handled it. So many "what ifs" - And I know that section of the Boston Globe. And I'm so impressed that you tossed 'their' version of YOUR ORIGINAL work! Beautiful. I can't stop crying....

Anonymous said...

I beg to differ that you were a "naive" 11 year old! This poem shows more depth and emotions than most adults can write about. You are very talented and I am very impressed with all that you write and post here. You have a fan over here in CT!
Hugs and love, Lisa

Anonymous said...

Amazing, Michelle. :)

Anonymous said...

wow! I so love poetry and I will say...this is absolutely fabulous!!
you were 11.
wow.
gosh I don't even know what to say...
how dare they re-do this perfection.
wow.
11

Anonymous said...

oh, michelle. your poem has rendered me speechless, uh, wordless, i guess. puts a tear in my eye and a lump in my throat. you are amazing. ~cindy

Anonymous said...

Wow!! 11 years old!!! I`m impressed...Sure tells us something about your talent and yourself at such a tender age. Brava!
Vince

Anonymous said...

Michelle, listen to me carefully. Are you listening? Come closer, so you can hear. That's it.. a little closer. Now. Get thee to a bookstore today and buy a copy of this year's Writer's Market. Submit your poetry to every magazine, anthology, newspaper, and two-bit editorial you can find. Do it now. Because you, my dear, are not just a mother who happens to write poetry. You, darling, are a poet. Get busy!

Anonymous said...

Michelle...what an amazing work for an 11 year old...thanks for sharing...
~Tina

Anonymous said...

That is a very heartfelt poem...thanks for sharing it with us.

Anonymous said...

Wow, Michelle! That is amazing! I agree with Slo-this deserves publishing! It's not the kind of poem you can say, "that's good for an 11 yr. old. I have to say, That's good for...an adult, accomplished poet! Beautiful!

Anonymous said...

I just have to say I agree with Slomo. You are a poet.

Anonymous said...

What an impressive poem. And to think you were only 11 when you wrote it. It was obvious the sentiment was heartfelt and spontaneous, and you captured it in words so beautifully.

Anonymous said...

I think your poem is great, what did those editors know. I jst wanted to say, that I love reading your journal, even though my kids are not that small anymore, it wasn't too very long ago, and I sometimes miss it. My youngest is eight, and he's so grown up. Also, it is funny, I live in Florida, and it is a dream of mine and my husbands to someday visit Alaska, so I wish we could trade places just for a little while!

Anonymous said...

sOngbird you have inspired me. I wrote a poem today for my STeven..visit my journal and read it if you're so inclined. I have some favorites I've written from Jr. Hi and on up I think I'll add to my journal too. Does your writing go in spurts? I find usually I must be depressed, sad or in deep sweet love to write.. ~Barb

Anonymous said...

My goodness, Michelle! In 1973? A poem of that magnitude? You are so very talented, my friend!

(And here I always think of you as being the wonderful gal who talked about rat hair in peanut butter...LOL)

XO ~ Bridgett

Anonymous said...

s0ngbird ~ amazing...you're simply amazing! You wrote that @ the tender age of 11? Wish I could write something like that @ 37 ~ LOL! Thanks for sharing! ~Aunt Nub~

Anonymous said...

Amazing. My name is also Michelle... HaHa... Neurotic06@yahoo.com...