Tuesday, March 27, 2007

Not Exactly What I Hoped For....

Mom got her results back from her CT scan....  

The mass is over 50% gone.  The Dr. is pleased, but truthfully, that's not exactly what I hoped for.   Maybe I hoped for too much.   I wanted to believe what the Dr. originally said, "I think we got it all...."  I wanted to hear "there's no sign."  The good news is, what remains is uncertain.  Meaning, the Dr. believes it's probable that what remains could just be residual scar tissue caused by the radiation.  He wants her to continue to heal and recover for the next three months & then he wants to re-scan....

My sis is encouraging Mom to seek a 2nd opinion.  (I don't think it's a bad idea to go to Dana Farber in Boston after she takes her break. They are one of the best cancer institutes in the country.)  Maybe she is a surgical candidate?  I think it's a possibility.  In any case, Mom wants a break from all that is "medical."   I totally agree, no one deserves a break more.   For now, it's time for Mom to put away her medical equipment, it's time for her to reclaim her life from the cancer that tried to steal it.  It's time to laugh again with her friends and family, to eat fried clams & jelly donuts, (I wouldn't suggest eating those two together), to play cards, to take walks on the beach, to go to Foxwoods, to go on that much wanted vacation to Alaska.  To just be happy and live life.   Life is good....

Mom continues to do well.  Her recovery has been nothing short of amazing.   I remain optimistic and I continue to believe.....

                                       "Hey God, it's me Michelle...."     

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am praying for your mom with you!  Thanks for sharing with us.  Hugs,
Lisa

Anonymous said...

I am sending prayers that this other 50% is only scar tissue and nothing else.  Your Momma does deserve to just live her life right now without docs and medications.  You know I am always thinking of you and your family and will send extra prayers and healing wishes your way.
Love,
Lisa

Anonymous said...

Well, you know how I feel about you and your family....I think you're a pretty special person, Michelle.  

And while I'm sorry the results weren't all you hoped, they're still pretty darn good results.  You're mom is a tough lady with an amazing will to live.  That will take her far.  

Always thinking of you...

Bridgett

Anonymous said...

Michelle..I haven't been by in a long time.  I'm adding you, mom and family to list of prayers.  I hope mom enjoys getting back to things "non-medical".  It sure sounds like she needs it......and DESERVES it!
Hugs,
Gina

Anonymous said...

Sending prayers that your mom's health continues to improve!

Tracie
(Welcome to my Life)

Anonymous said...

I can't tell you just how much I have enjoyed reading your journal & how much I loved reading about your family. I am so happy your mother is doing so much better & I will continue to pray for all of you.