Tuesday, June 13, 2006

Preschool Comments...

Friday we received some forms from Sammi's preschool to send to her kindergarten.  These forms have information about what skills she has mastered this year, and what skills she still needs to work on.  Pretty boring stuff, nothing unexpected.  At the end of these forms was a letter attached from her teacher that said, "Preschool Comments". 

It starts off by saying that Sammi is a sweet little girl.  "You will love her smile and silly sense of humor.  Sammi is bright and creative.  She loves to paint and draw."  It goes on to say, that she pays attention at group time and is eager to share her experiences.  She even waits her turn well.  (Ok, so THAT is a bit of a shock, lol). 

All good, right?   But the teacher has one concern.  Her ability to socialize with her peers. 

"Sammi plays in groups of children, but she has not bonded with even one of her classmates.  Although Sammi enjoys playing by herself, she also often complains to me that no one will play with her."    My little girl went to this school two days a week for 9 months and didn't make one friend.  Not one.  I don't understand...

She always seemed excited to go to school and was always smiling when I picked her up.  She's not an annoying child, she's a gentle happy soul, although a bit shy at first.  She doesn't appear to have problems approaching other kids when we go to the park, yet, not one friend at school?

Tonight is her graduation and already I feel tears....  Just so sad for her.

The letter ends with, "My hope is that as all kindergartners have a fresh start in kindergarten, Sammi will be able to find a few good friends this fall.   She is a very sweet little girl."   

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh that is so sad. Bless her little heart. If it makes you feel better, my youngest is the same way. When he went to kindergarten this past year though, it really turned him around. I bet Sammi will be the same.

~Heather

P.s That is the most precious picture! :)

Anonymous said...

what a pretty pic of sammy, and she has grown a lot

Anonymous said...

Sammi is getting more beautiful every day.  I hope she will find a great friend in Kindergarten.

Anonymous said...

Precious picture of Sammy.  But don't worry about her making friends.  My daughter was the same way.  I just let her pick different activities to participate in to meet a variety of different friends such as:  sports, dance, music, volunteer work, etc.  She is now 17 and has narrowed her favorites down to: snowboarding, softball, habitat for humanity, and volunteering at a Childrens Hospital.  She is still a "bit" shy when you first meet her but after that...look out, lol! :)

Anonymous said...

What a beauty your precious Sammi is. It hurt my heart to read that she had no friends though; reminded me of my daughter when she was that age. I went through the same thing with her. It got better once she started kindergarten. Praying it will improve for Sammi too. Lost track of you for awhile and missed you. So happy to have found your journal again.
Hugs ..
Barb- http://journals.aol.com/barbpinion/THERESTOFTHESTORY
        http://journals.aol.com/barbpinion/HEYLETSTALK

Anonymous said...

It could be that she just has "discriminating tastes". My Kid #2 was so busy absorbing and assimilating she just wasnt into making friends at that stage- more like deciding who was worth her time. As long as she's sociable at the park, I wouldn't worry about it this early. She may just not be the one that walks into a roomful of strangers and walks out with 6 new best friends!

I love the picture with the critter, by the way. What a sweetie!

Love, Kathy

Anonymous said...

Wow...I'm shocked the teacher waited until the end of the year to tell you this--if it was a concern of hers...why wait until the year was over?  Makes no sense.  The only thing I can think is that Sammi probably marches to her own drummer and never found anyone to really bond with.  If her teacher had alerted you earlier, perhaps you could have done some things to help her along like invite a classmate over to your house for a playdate.  Maybe Sammi was just too shy to break into the group of kids and needed help...and maybe her teacher could have helped her since she was aware of the problem.  I wouldn't fret too much about it now because it's over and done...but maybe being a twin she hasn't needed to work at always having a friend nearby and at school she needs to work at it and doesn't have the skills.  I'd just make playdates for her and I'm sure she'll be fine.

Anonymous said...

Awwww, that breaks my heart because I have a daughter JUST like Sammi.  Bethany is a bit more shy though and it took her until 7th grade to make a "real" friend.  She didn't mind going to school though, just as Sammi doesn't.  She just didn't get into the "how many friends do you have" thing.  She was upset many times though when others would have bday parties and she wasn't invited, so I can't say it doesn't hurt, it does, hurts both you as a parent and the child.  The problem I found with intelligent children, especially girls, is that they have a hard time identifying with peers in their age group.  They are so far and above their peers that they find really no interest in playing the games they play and would instead like to hang out with a grown up or someone much older.  Don't be too upset though Michelle, Sammi will come into her own one day, it might not be for a long while, but she will!  Personally I liked it better that Bethany wasn't in any clique having to go to this party and that party, playdates, etc., etc.  We would hang out together and it helped us to become not only Mother and Daughter but Best Friends also.  

I have to say though that your Kindergarten forms are WAY more extensive than ours.  Emma didn't even go to Preschool and she is going into Kindergarten next year, but they didn't ask what her skills were thankfully!  I feel that Kindergarten is where they should teach them the stuff they need to learn, it's the duty and responsibility.  They are going to have fun with my Emma next year that's for sure!  LOL!

Love,
Lisa

Anonymous said...

Who do you see when you look at sammi's picture? .........Moe. scary....hahahaha.

Anonymous said...

Aw hon, I wouldn't be too upset.  Your little girl will be fine!  Some children just are more careful about friendship or maybe just too busy!  Thank you for the picture she is so beautiful!  rose

Anonymous said...

Okay, let me start by saying....that is a BEAUTIFUL picture.  

It's stunning.  Actually looks professional.

Secondly...you've got this mommy near tears.  It's always been my worst fear for Parker simply because he's considered 'different.'  But, Parker's making friends and Sammi will too.  I've no doubts.  

Love,
b