Ever since Spencer was a small child (now almost 18 years old), I've asked him at the fair if he wanted to go for a ride on the elephant with me. His answer has always been a resounding, "No way". Admittedly, I was secretly relieved.
For the past three years, I've been asking Sammi & Mikey the same thing. Their answers have always been the same as Spencer's. "No way!" ....That is, until this past Sunday. On Sunday night we decided to go to the fair. It was a beautiful, almost summer-like night. After going on some rides, watching baby chicks hatch from their eggs and checking out this years biggest pumpkin (weighing in at over 1,300 lbs) we made our way to the petting zoo. Upon seeing the elephant trod around her well worn path, I asked my annual question. "Does anyone want to go on an elephant ride with me?" Instantly, two little voices chirped, "YES! Me, me..." and they started dancing around. I couldn't believe they said "Yes". So, before I wimped out I went to the window and bought three tickets to ride the elephant.
The kids loved riding on the elephant. Mikey laughed & squealed the entire time. The first thing I noticed was how incredibly huge the elephant's head was. A totally different view when sitting on top. As the man guided Bulah (the elephant's name) around the ring he constantly spoke to her. As we were riding, I suddenly had a memory of a documentary I watched a while ago. "When Elephants Go Mad." I held the kids a little tighter and silently said a prayer, "Please God, don't let Bulah go mad at this moment...."
We safely reached our platform to get off and I thanked Bulah for giving us a ride. Ever look close up in an elephant's eye? Incredibly intelligent, I think she might have understood. I'm glad that we rode the elephant, it was an experience they will always remember. But I do know one thing....
Next year I won't ask them if they want to go for a ride on the elephant. Thinking we'll stick to the ponies....
5 comments:
I can see why you'd have held the children tighter, and thought, "maybe ponies next time." I saw that documentary. Pretty scary!
Hugs, love & prayers,
Barb- http://journals.aol.com/barbpinion/HEYLETSTALK
http://journals.aol.com/barbpinion/THERESTOFTHESTORY
Did you go to the Big E?! We used to go every single year, it was my bday present from my hubby. Haven't been in 3 years though. Sigh. I give you credit for riding that elephant, I sure in heck wouldn't have of even if the kids begged me to!! But, you only live once right?! I am happy that you were able to share this ride with your little ones. I am sure they will remember it forever too.
Hugs and love,
Lisa
LOL ~ your little daredevils. Hey, I think it sounds fun myself!
And yes, I've always heard elephants are extremely intelligent...
Love,
b
I too saw the show "When Elephant's Go Mad!" and you are alot braver then me! LOL! I am glad you finally got to experience it after all these years! Here's to one brave woman and two brave little kids.
Melody
Those elephants look fun to ride but I don't know if I would get on one!! I'm kinda a scaredy cat sometimes. Love the photo!! Hugs,
Lisa
Post a Comment