Nine days of non-stop rain & wind here, the sun hasn't peeked through once. Guess we are paying for the warmest September we've had in decades. The kids are truly driving me crazy, too much time indoors with no where to run and burn off all their crazy energy. Think today we'll have to go outside & splash in some puddles. I hear rumors that the sun will come out tomorrow....
Hmmm, I feel a song comin' on....
Last night Spencer brought home his first girlfriend. I should have known something was up when he decided to clean his pig-stye (I mean, room yesterday, lol.) Another clue should have been when he made the comment, "the livingroom is starting to get messy...." I didn't think it looked so bad and he usually doesn't care. He just steps over all the toys & kids in his way.
But last night the reasons for all his cleaning became apparent at supper time. "Mom, can Stephanie come over tonight?" Couldn't believe he was actually bringing a girlfriend home. Was beginning to think he never would.... Figured someday he'd just show up with a wife in tow.
And so because I wanted to make my son proud; I decided to clean the livingroom, even cleaned the toilet for good measure. When he went to pick her up at work, I popped some popcorn and made some brownies. Just call me June Cleaver, lol, minus the high heels and apron.
After they arrived, the little ones and I sat in the livingroom to visit for awhile. Sammi & Mikey immediately saddled up to her and started jabbering away. Mikey was even the perfect host, offering her a handful of popcorn from his drooly hand. She politely declined. Smart girl....
About a half hour later, I put the kids to bed & went to watch TV in my room. I made the occasional loud trip out into the kitchen, but hopefully nothing too obvious. Spence brought her home around 11pm, she had to go to a pre-SAT class Saturday morning. College bound, yes, smart girl indeed. Anyways, I thought she was very nice, a pretty cheerleader type.
As I sat watching TV in my room, I suddenly realized something last night. Someday (far in the future, I hope) a daughter-in-law will join our family. I think I'm looking forward to that.
Hope being a good mother-in-law is genetic, if it is, I have no problems.
8 comments:
I enjoyed this entry. It brought back some lovely memories of my son's first girlfriend. My but that was a LONG time ago.lol
Love your graphic.
It's so cute.
Barb- http://journals.aol.com/barbpinion/THERESTOFTHESTORY
http://journals.aol.com/barbpinion/HEYLETSTALK
my oldest daughter has a boyfriend...thankfully, we have known him for years
Becky
Neat entry. Your son is lucky to have a nice mom who thinks of doing a little extra to help him and his girlfriend feel comfortable. That must have been a real treat for all of you! Your right about the rain here in New England...and it isn't getting any sunnier! Pretty soon we'll see the first flakes of snow. (I can't wait! SHHH!) Michelle
Isn't it great to have a home they feel free to bring their friends to? With 2 in highschool and 2 in college, I never know who will show up! It also helps to know most of their friends.
Kathy
I think you'd be a great mother-in-law. Much better than the one I'm stuck with for eternity. This is how bad it is...I actually sometimes count how old she is and how much longer she might live. Horrible, I know...but she's so manipulative. LOL
I just can't even imagine that part of my life yet...I guess my kids are still too little. But I'm going to be a hella-cool MIL. Did I just say hella-cool??? <grin>
Love,
b
LOL about your trips out to the kitchen. My husband and I used to take turns going out to get a drink of water, and junk like that. The kids always knew exactly what we were doing, but hey, that's what parents are for!
~Tina
Awwww, how sweet!!! I don't know how I am going to react when one of my children brings their date home. Hopefully I will have a long time to wait! AAAGGGHHHH!
Hugs and love,
Lisa
You are so sweet to think of cleaning up the house for this occasion. I think I would have been so stunned into the reality of my child growing up and having a girlfriend I would have completely forgotten about the house appearance. I can be wierd that way. I get all wrapped up in a thought process and then just be useless. Good thinking on your part! I love the line that he might just show up someday with wife in tow. LoL! I'm having a good chuckle about that one! I think that's mostly what I did. I had about ten boyfriends and only brought a few home. Ditched the one that proposed to me at 17. It scared me half to death because it was so close to what I wanted and yet he wasn't mentioning my college at all and I was too afraid to bring it up! Okay, I was a little backwards and shy then. LoL!
Lisa
Post a Comment