"Count the garden by the flowers, never by the leaves that fall. Count your life with smiles and not the tears that roll." ~Author Unknown
I heard a rumor the other day....
I heard someone say that it's almost June, but I don't believe it. Yes, it's still raining and we are now beginning to break records for not only the wettest May, but also the coldest. Anyone tired of me whining yet? I'm tired of hearing me whine, lol. Yesterday was 47 degrees, today was 48. We've had rain for the past week, and there is no end in sight. As I type, we are being pounded by a nor'easter. The wind is howling outside, and at this hour it sounds eerie, ghost-like. Wind gusts are up to 50mph.... If I were a very religious person, I would be taking my cues from Noah and begin building that ark .....now.
On Monday, during a very brief lull in the rain, I decided it was time to plant my garden. I rented a 20' X 40' garden plot from a neighborhood church for $15.00. Although I have a large yard in which I could have planted a garden, I thought that it would be more fun being part of a community garden. Besides, I don't exactly have a green thumb, so my crops can use all the divine intervention they can get.... When I got to the field, there were no other plots planted. But I was determined to get my plants into the ground before June. I had only been working for about 15 minutes when the rain began again. I put on my windbreaker and continued to work for 2 hours in 50 degree temps and rain. I planted 4 bell pepper plants, 19 tomato plants, 6 cabbage plants, 11 broccoli plants, a package of carrot seeds, a package of snow peas, and then I planted wild flowers along the perimeter.
By the time I finished I was soaked and covered in a thick layer of mud. But it was worth it, I accomplished what I set out to do, and as I left the garden I felt quite proud of myself. That is, until I climbed into the van and realized that the van was stuck in the mud. Really stuck. What a sight I must have been walking home in the pouring rain, covered in mud. When Mike got home he had to use the truck to tow me out of the mud hole that the van had sunk in. I'm hoping that my tiny plants can hold up to this storm. I guess we'll see....
Last weekend Mike, Spencer and I went white water rafting. In the rain of course, but hey, at least it was a balmy 52 degrees. We went with a bunch of my co-workers and their families, 22 of us in all. No, we weren't alone in our insanity. Spencer fell out of his raft in a class four rapid. He didn't spend too much time in the water, and was pulled back in very quickly. We all had such a blast that we are planning another trip in July. Hoping for warmth and sunshine.
The last bit of sunshine in our lives this week is in the picture above. Since we have had no luck with bunnies, we have been thinking of getting a kitten for Sammi. We were planning on this summer, but this little tiger kitten came into our lives sooner than expected.... A co-worker has a mother cat who gave birth to five kittens... then she found 3 abandoned kittens from another litter outside. After rescuing those three and thinking that the Mother cat would never notice, she slipped them in with the other five. Well, Mom didn't appreciate that. Not only did she reject the three extra kittens, but she rejected her five other kittens too. So my co-worker had been hand raising all eight kittens since they were 3 weeks old. When this little kitten was given to us, it was 6 weeks old.
Sammi took one look at this little kitten and decided that his name should be Gilbert. Because no one could tell exactly what sex he was, I agreed that Gilbert was a wonderful name. On Tuesday, we took the kitten to the vets. Everything was perfect except that Gilbert is definitely a girl. I suppose in time we'll shorten her name to Gilly. This little 1 lb creature is a bundle of energy, making us all laugh with her funny antics. It's been years since I've had a kitten around, I had forgotten how much fun they are. She's fearless and has had no problems trying to make our 50 lb dog back up when it gets too close for comfort. Sammi has hardly taken out any toys since the kitten arrived, and if I didn't make her put the kitten down, it would be carried all day long. Hoping that this kitten won't mind getting dressed up in clothes, because I can tell that will happen in the near future. Little Mikey can breathe a sigh of relief, Sammi has someone else to dress up now....
....and someone new to love
16 comments:
Isn't Gilbert the name of Caillou's cat that is also grey stripped? I love it! She's beautiful! ALL OF YOUR FAMILY is beautiful! CONGRATULATIONS Gilbert on a new happy home! Shana
Oh My, we are just the opposite...we are having record breaking HEAT. it has been as high as 101 here in the past 5 days. We are supposed to be getting some relief over the weekend. We are hoping for rain! Send some our way!!! :)
White Water Rafting -- WAY TOO COOL -- I would Love to try it just Once in my life. But guess only in my dreams. :(
The kitty is so precious. Gilbert is a wonderful name...even for a girl. Your pictures are purrr..fect.
Kate~
I was wondering how the new kitten was working out. Sweet pictures. Hope all goes well with "Gilbert." Great name, Sammi :-)
i am not a religious person either, but i was raised by a preacher, and MOSES, did not build the ark, NOAH did.... just thought youd like to know
I thought I was the only one whining about the rain and cold! Now I feel better. : )
The highs this weekend are supposed to be in the low 60s...and more rain. Summer will be over before we get a dry spell.
<done whining>.
Love the new kitty. :)
Candace
I hope those veggies truly appreciate what you went thru to get them planted!
I can remember those really cold, wet springs growing up in Chicago - if you wear a coat to the beach over your bathing suit and don't take it off till you lay down- (the coat, not the bathing suit) , it's actually warm!
My best to Gilbert-ette
It IS almost June, but some of you are still getting rain. Sorry, hon. Guess it depends upon where you live. Hope sunshine finds you soon. Hugs.
Barb- http://journals.aol.com/barbpinion/HEYLETSTALK
ctomlin: LOL, ok....so I'm embarrassed. But thanks, I KNEW that, see it has been a long Spring. (Also note the time on my entry, 2am, ,lol) Thinking Moses would still come in handy though, could use him to help part the lake sized puddles in my yard so I can cross them.... : )
Hi Michelle!! Sorry you are getting so much rain and if I'd been there I would have definitely given you a ride home -- after we hosed the mud off of you. LOL!! (That sounds like the time my husband was stuck working late and my son and I had to walk miles home from the school and I fell in a mud hole in the dark, screaming and scared to death! Thought a gator or a snake was gonna get me for sure. I was muddy and horribly upset with him. He found us about a quarter mile from the house. Can ya believe it! Had he just been one mile sooner I wouldn't have been covered in mud!! Grrrrr....men!! ) And love the new kitten! Gilly is an adorable name!! Your little girl is just precious!! I really like the quote you have under the picture by the way. Your journal entries are always creative and encouraging to me. Hope you have a wonderful Memorial Day weekend and maybe that sunshine will come out. We're doing ok in Florida and working thru a temporary crisis that I think has just been resolved. I've thus been slow making it around to journals so I'm leaving you an extra long comment.... or I'm just gabby for some reason??!! : )
Hugs,
Lisa
My sister lives in Massachusetts and she told me she is getting so depressed with the rainy weather...Hope things brighten up soon for y'all!
How adorable! my munchkin had 5 kittens in March and we had them all here until they were 8 weeks old. My other cat Princess- my peanut's cat- just had kittens Thursday night. Thet are all gray just like their momma. MORE kittens in the house! UGGHH!! As soon as Princess is done nursing I am taking both cats to vet to get fixed!
Like yourself I planted a garden in hopes that the rain would subside, which it did, my garden is growing and the tomato plants are blooming. Everyone can't wait until they start producing vegetables, but wait where was everyone when I needed there help, oh well I am a mother of 6, 2 left at home and all the family and grandkids I may be able to enjoy a few vegies from my garden. My daughters cat had babies, 5 in all, then a neighbor brought 2 more that were surviviors of a coyote attack which took the mother, our cat fed them, all hesitant at first, but it was to much for her and not enough milk for all, we started to supplement them with kitten formula, worked for awhile but one of the two became weak and we were not home all day so I graciously gave them back after a few weeks with the kitten formula and bottles I asked the neighbor to take them back as she was home all day and the kittens needed better care. One did survive but we lost one. I am surprised that the one made it as they were really tiny when we got them.
Cute Kitty!
V
cute photo....we've had nothing but rain here at the jersey shore too, my flowers are loving it!
~ www.jerseygirljournal.com
does Gilbert have 3 colors in her coat? Cats with 3, or more colors are females...something my vet told us wehn we brought Zoe in...
Becky
what I love about this is, you didn't let a little old thing like storms and floods stop you from completing a mission! I did the same thing when I had my first house. I was determined to plant my flower garden. In the pouring rain! :)
Gilbert is precious! I hope the weather is better by now for you. Now I feel ashamed for whining about how hot it was yesterday. (90 degrees) We had rain for a solid week before, so I do understand how you felt about the rain.
Take care!
Mia
Post a Comment