Thursday, May 12, 2005

"Into every life, a little rain must fall"

"Depend on the rabbit's foot if you will, but remember it didn't work for the rabbit." - R E Shay    

Nope, no luck here with bunnies....  Last June we lost Hoppy and this year on Mother's Day, we lost our little Miffy. :::sigh:::  Why can't we keep our bunnies alive?  As much as I love bunnies, I give up.  Apparently these creatures are too fragile for me to care for.   I feel a little guilty about Miffy dying.  I should have noticed that she didn't have any poops in her litter box, but I didn't, until it was too late.  Was too busy with life; working the night shift, ending 4 year feud's with my brother, attending a birthday party, the prom and celebrating Mother's Day & my birthday.... 

When I noticed Miffy's litter box on Sunday morning, and then saw her leaning heavily into her food dish.... I knew it was bad.   Miffy was barely breathing and very cold.  I couldn't bring myself to pick her up, so Mike put her gently in her hutch.   We both looked at each other and said,  "What will we tell Sammi?"   You see, last June when Hoppy got sick, (and died), we decided to tell Sammi that Hoppy went to live on a farm with other sick bunnies.  Even though she wasn't quite 3,  I don't think she ever bought that explanation.  But I felt the need to protect her from the sometimes sad realities of life.   Now at 3 years 10 months, I still feel the need to protect her, however, we can't keep telling her that the animals that disappear from her life go to the farm.   

We decided to tell both of the little ones the truth in terms we hoped they could understand.   We told them that sometimes animals get sick and die.... that Miffy had died.  Sammi's first question was "Did her heart go away?"   We got into the topic of how God has special places for little animals when they die.   She asked so many questions about "Who's God?"  "Can Miffy come back someday?"   .... Hard deep questions that I sometimes have trouble wrapping my mind around.  How does one explain God to a 3 year old?  I still don't know.  

We gave Miffy a funeral in the backyard while standing in the rain.  We sang her the song we always sang. "Miffy, is a cute little bunny...."  And then Mikey piped up in a very sad little voice, "I'm gonna miss her...."  I almost cried, but didn't.  Moments later, his sadness passed and he was helping his dad pack down the dirt.  

Three days have gone by and they are still talking about Miffy.  They have told anyone who'll listen that they had a bunny, but now she's gone under the dirt.  Yesterday, while driving in the car the little ones both told me that they thought Miffy wanted to come back.  I asked them why they thought that, and Sammi said, "Because I heard her."  I played along and said, "you did?"  She replied, "yup".  And then in the cutest little bunny voice she could muster she squeaked, "Miffy said, "I wanna come back up, I don't like it under here."  Made me wanna cry and laugh at the same time.   I guess they don't quite get it, but there's one thing I do know for sure....  

               The sandbox shovels are going to be put away for awhile....        

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

How sad... We've had to deal with loosing two cats in the last 6months (one my mom's and the other ours- both 16yrs old) and having to try to explain to Rowan where they went and why... Like you said, how do you explain that to a 3 year old?  Rowan has come to terms that the kitties "Tea-adore" (Theodore) and "Stinker" are in Heaven :D and she gives them kisses and hugs... Sending them all up into the sky!  I do hope, that if you guys try to have another bunny sometime later on, that you have better luck with that one... :)
~Jennifer~
http://journals.aol.com/perkysgrl/APickleForYourThoughts

Anonymous said...

LOVE THE QUOTE!

Oh... Michelle!  I'm sorry to hear about Miffy!  I remember the memorial you posted here (collage of pictures) for Hoppy... and how special it was when Miffy was given to Sammi!  I'm so sorry.  

I couldn't help but envy the fact that you can bury a rabbit in your backyard.  Just yesterday, I was thinking, "I've never had a dog as big and for as long as I've had Mister Moose.  What will we do with his 80# body if he dies here at home?"  Mister Moose is a Chocolate Lab.  

I suppose you have to pick up the dead beast and haul him to the vet to pay a service to dispose of something almost as big as a 9 year old child!  Sheez...  that won't be cheap, I'm sure.  But I'm sure out here in the suburbs, I could be arrested for polluting the water system or something if I tried to bury him!

I'm with you...  I'd take a break from pets, but then again, I love animals the way I love visitors: glad to see them, and glad to see them go.  :-)

Shana

Anonymous said...

I have another bunny you can have...she lives outside in her hutch...and is aobut 6 years old now!!!  My kids do not spend enough time with her
becky

Anonymous said...

I think you did a good thing last year when your little girl was under 3.  It was too early for her to even think of what questions to ask and how to process the answers.  I also think you were right to start talking to her about the recent loss of her beloved pet.  Children's vocabularies and understanding strengthens so much in that year between 2 1/2 and 3 1/2.  It's never something we want our kids to have to go through, but it  happens and they need to know it's okay to talk.  You have obviously given her that trust in you by communicating the truth in terms she can understand.  Feel confident in that...Sorry for your loss!!  Michelle

Anonymous said...

Awwwww, I was about to cry until that last line about the shovels!  You sure do know how to take that edge off of a sad story.  You did the right thing in telling your children what really happened.  I hated it when my parents would tell me that our cats "went to a farm where they could run free and not have to worry about being run over by a car".  It doesn't take long to figure out that that isn't true and then you start to doubt your parents and you don't want that to start this early.  RIP sweet Miffy!!!
Hugs and love, Lisa

Anonymous said...

Michelle...I love how you can make this entry tug at my heart, but make me smile at the same time.  You are in great form!  So sorry about Miffy...:(

~Tina

Anonymous said...

Oh this is so sad.  I'm sorry you lost Miffy.  I had a bunny when I was a little girl and we named her Thumper.  I miss her even to this day.  Pets are so wonderful.  And that's when we got the Chinchilla... and then the gerbals that my mother used to give a bath in the kitchen sink... and then that crazy bird that walked around in circles in her water bowl.  And the Dalmation we named Tara from Gone With the Wind...  that had worms so my mother got rid of her... and there were from that point on a series of cats, some that we had all at the same time:  Winnie the Pooh, FiFi who cried continually for some reason, and Cookie.  We also had a chicken named ShaShaBelle that laid brown eggs, and these two gray cats named Charlie and Chester.  We sure do get attached to our pets.  Our fish Hurricane Charley recently died... but the other one is still going... Jo Jo... and of course, the new cat, Princess Sophia-Grace, who has replaced Sophia and the dog Seanesty, our Golden Retriever whom we dearly miss, except for that hair that was everywhere.  Well... I'm on to your next entry and hope you are well and that you find a bunny who thrives.    

Anonymous said...

awww I'm so sad you lost Miffy.  poor thing  :-(


~  www.jerseygirljournal.com

Anonymous said...

Oh that is so sweet....so bittersweet.  It's hard on little ones when animals die and our family didn't have good luck with rabbits either.  Yep, too fragile i guess.  It made us very sad to see the little guys all die.

Ana

Anonymous said...

Aw, what a sad and sweet story. Miffy was a perfect name, by the way. I hope the kitten will help fill their loss.

Mia

Anonymous said...

ps ... glad to hear you got some things resolved with your brother. I know how that is.

Mia