Saturday, January 22, 2005

               

                                       

Thought I'd update my journal now because I'm not certain we'll have electricity later this evening.  Not only is no electricity a very real possibility, but I'm sure we'll eventually loose our satellite dish signal.  Oh, what shall I do without a computer or TV..... or heat?  I have our warmest clothes, board games, candles and flashlights out....

Our small coastal town is currently under a blizzard warning.  Right now the snowflakes are gently falling to the ground, but when the blizzard goes into high gear tonight we will be accumulating 3" an hour.  The winds will be sustained at 35mph, with gusts up to 50mph.   Predicted snowfall from this storm is 3 feet.  Yes, 3 feet!  Think we'll keep the shovel inside tonight, might have to shovel ourselves out the front door tomorrow.  The snow drifts should be incredible....

I'm not dreading the blizzard, somehow these large storms have a way of making everyone slow down.  Suppose no one can move too fast in 3 feet of snow, lol.  What I did dread, was having to go to the grocery store.  I am not one of those emergency shoppers, that wipe out the bread and water aisles when a big storm is approaching.  I always smile at the lunacy of it all....  But today, I had to go.  Because of the sub-zero temps that we experienced all week, (today it is a balmy -2 degrees), I hibernated.  After looking in my fridge and cabinets this morning, I knew hibernation was temporarily over....  So this bear bundled up her cubs and headed to the store.

I knew it was bad as  soon as I arrived.  There were no shopping carts, people were standing in line waiting.  When we finally got a cart, I began to weed my way through the mass of people.  Just  crazy.  I picked up a few essentials (chocolate cake is an essential, right?) to get us through the next few days. Then I headed for the check-out.  I was shocked to see the end of the line was at the back of the store in the meat department.  It wound itself through produce, the freezer section and then the bakery.  When you got close to the registers employees were there directing the customer's to the lines.   I was impressed at how orderly it actually was...

I was also impressed at how well Sammi and Mikey did in the store.  This morning both were cranky, so I really had my doubts how this outing would go.  Even on the best days, taking these two out can be a challenge.   Well, I'm back home now in hibernation mode.  Think I'll go bake that cake.  Because even if we lose electricity and can't cook another morsel of food, at least we'll have chocolate cake.  Life is always good when there's chocolate cake.  : )

Quote of the day:  "Life is uncertain.  Eat dessert first."  ~Ernestine Ulmer

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Chocolate is ABSOLUTELY essential.  We have a similar state of being here in Michigan.

I hate cold...but we have a kick butt wood burning stove so we are always prepared...

Hope your power stays on!

Anonymous said...

Gee, you are prepared woman!!  I haven't done a thing and we are getting the same storm.  Bet I will be kicking myself later for not being more prepared!  At least it looks purty outside doesn't it?  
Hugs and love, Lisa

Anonymous said...

Amazingly, I can totally relate - even in Texas. I grew up in Chicago and distinctly remember power failures and no heat when the boiler cracked. Do they even have those anymore? "Fun" is trying to take a bath in a gallon of boiled water before the 2nd pan of water even gets hot!  And huddling around an open oven trying to stay warm.  You know it's cold when 0 feels like a heat wave.  My kids are clueless.

Hope you dig out before cabin fever sets in.

Kathy

Anonymous said...

wow.  
I have driven..well, husband did, but I was passenger...through a blizzard.    it was crazy!  it was like someone layed a white sheet across our windshield, you couldn't see anything.  the only help I could offer was leaning into my passenger window, and trying to catch the yellow line once in awhile to let my husband know that we were indeed still on the road. luckily, we caught some very faint red tailights ahead, and we followed them and someone crept up on your tailights and the three of us sped along at 5 mi an hour for 2 hours, to the small town that we lived in.  We found out once we arrived in town, that the road had been closed down for 2 and 1/2 hours....we 3 slipped through somehow.  and the story doesn't end for that blizzard that hit us in Sumas, WA.  but, there's not enough room to continue.... :p  
anyway, I feel for you!  I know what your going through. :(
mmm, choc. cake!  all things ARE good when chocolate is involved. :D

Anonymous said...

Yummy!!  My kids could live on chocolate cake!!  Forget the water and bread mom!!  Hope you stay safe and warm and cozy and maybe everything will cancel for Monday and perhaps you'll get a three day weekend!!  That, I do miss about the north!!
Hugs,
Lisa