Thursday, November 4, 2004

"Knock, knock. Who's there?"

                                                    Photo's by Philip Greenspun

 

 I knew it was coming,

                            I saw the signs....

The branches on the tree's are now almost bare.  The once vibrant colorful leaves lay forlornly on the ground.  Decaying....

Geese are flying in their perfect v-formations, honking their good-byes as they head south....

Mosquitoes are gone, as is the cricket's song at dusk.  Playful squirrels are no longer distracted.  They now scamper quickly, cheeks filled, with obvious purpose.  They too, can feel Mother Nature's icy grip begin to tighten....

I knew it was coming,

                          I saw the signs....

Last night Jack Frost made his first visit.  Good-bye to the last of my wildflowers, hello to my gloves and ice scraper....

                    When the bold branches
                    Bid farewell to rainbow leaves -
                    Welcome wool sweaters.
                                        
  -   B. Cybrill

                       

    

17 comments:

Anonymous said...

You desribed my thoughts exactly. Winter has come too soon!  In Utah though, I have to say that the winters are Beautiful, but extremely cold. Just waiting for Spring, now!  Hang In There!  Can't wait to see some pics of the little ones playing in the snow!!  Cuties!

Anonymous said...

Its come here too... But I'm guessing not as bad... Good luck with Jack Frost ;)
HUGS,
Jennifer

Anonymous said...

brrrrrrrrrrr  bbbbbeautifullyly wrrrrittten....bbbuttt ssssuddenlyly i fffeel cccold.

Anonymous said...

nice entry. Like the way you picked such perfect graphics for it. I hate seeing color fade away too. Not too cold here yet, just chilly and wet. Hugs. *Barb*

Anonymous said...

I almost forgot it was November here in MN. We had 57 º today with a warmer weekend in store. I could get used to this...but it's doubtful I'll be given the opportunity. : )
Candace

Anonymous said...

Yep, it's that time again, my favorite time of the year!  Even though I don't enjoy seeing the trees bare of their leaves, I still enjoy the colder weather coming in instead of the heat of Summertime.  It's funny, when you said "you saw the signs coming" I thought this entry was going to be about political signs!  Geez, guess I am still stuck in that mode huh?!  LOL!
Hugs and love, Lisa

Anonymous said...

Nice entry....beautiful pictures....these kinds of pictures are all I really will see of a "classic autumn."

~Tina

Anonymous said...

wonderful entry......like the photos........we still have alot of fall colours here!
~JerseyGirl

Anonymous said...

I looked at the tree in front of my house yesterday, and noticed that ALL of it's leaves are on my front porch ... winter is coming ....

Kasey

http://journals.aol.com/ikoiko33/TheReturnofKaseypalooza

Anonymous said...

Beautiful!!  We haven't had much of a fall this year.  A late cold front blew in just after Halloween and we've been enjoying that for a few days.  I love that kind of weather.. cool, clear bright sky, a white sun, cold grass underfoot.  Here, unfortunately, it never lasts.  It will cool down, only to get hot again.  Too many of us do our Christmas shopping in shorts!  LOL  Sounds like its getting downright icy there!  I really don't envy you that kind of weather, though... the deep, hard cold of winter, a winter that seems to go on and on forever.  I guess, in some ways, we're lucky here.  May god bless your gloves and ice scraper, darlin'.  :)

Anonymous said...

Great entry!  I love autumn but it is too short. Much shorter than winter:(

Anonymous said...

Oh...I remember those days.  Can't say I miss them, however.  I'm a notherner who loves the south.  My son, who is up in Vermont for school/hockey LOVES New England.  I think I'll ask him again in January and see if he's still feeling that way.  He told me that they were expecting snow this weekend!  YIKES!

Anonymous said...

Just be thankful you had colorful leaves, if even for a short time.  On the West Coast, it's just brown...year around...brown.  Can I move back to the East Coast now??  <sigh>  

Maybe you can save some of those leaves for me???  <grin>

Love,
Bridgett

Anonymous said...

I love the seasons!!!! judi p.s. not so much the ice scraper..........

Anonymous said...

Very nice entry. :)

We're just now having fall-like weather in Alabama. Some of the geese have been flying overhead. Love to hear'em honk. :) They hang out at a nearby lake.

Take care!
Mia

Anonymous said...

Ohhh, I'm so sorry.  It's hard to believe it's only been a month since I experienced the beauty of New England's fall foliage.  I'm reminded now of what I really don't miss about the northeast.  It's just too cold for me.  And those mornings of ice scrapers and layers upon layers of clothing.  I have to wear layers here even.  Imagine wimpy me in a New England winter today!  Think: hot chocolate, snuggles by the fireplace, board games, skiing, sledding, snow angels and rosy cheeks.  Ahhh, there...much better. :)

Anonymous said...

awww. this was a sweet entry, love the picture and the haiku, wonderful.
and I especially loved your own words....I can feel the chill!
great job.