I spent Sunday night and most of yesterday kicking myself in the butt. Not sure what I prefer, a swift kick in the butt or putting my foot in my mouth. But (Butt?) both don't feel very good....
On Sunday my folks came down to visit. We went to see some of Mike's work in a local art gallery and in an art show, then we took off to Gloucester to ride the duck boat. We gave my Dad a duck boat ride as a birthday gift, I think he really enjoyed himself. The duck boats are a very unique sight-seeing experience. The vehicles are amphibious, so not only do you tour the area from the road, but then you experience it from the sea. Gloucester is just so full of sea-faring history, it's truly fascinating. The weather was a bit chilly to be on the ocean, high temps only hit 62 degrees....but we all brought jackets and a fun time was had by all....
After our 55 minute tour we decided to eat at our favorite seafood restuarant. We actually got take-out, because I wasn't sure the toddler's would sit thru a meal. The fried clams there are out of this world! But(t) here comes the beginning of the butt kicking. As we pulled into the restuarant, I noticed that I didn't have the diaper bag, aka, my pocketbook. I stopped carrying pocketbooks about 3 years ago, just too much to have 2 bags and two toddlers when trying to go somewhere. Wow, think I covered all the "too's, 2's, two, to's" in the English langauage with that sentence, lol.
Because we were on the next to the last ride of the day, we did not have time to drive back to Gloucester. I called their office when we got home, but all I got was an answering machine. I wasn't too worried because I still believe that most of the world is honest. Although I'm sure the conversation during our meal was interesting, I quietly was thinking about all the things that were in there. My driver's license, my nurses license, bank receipts, old check stubs etc. Luckily the Patriots were on TV, so my silence wasn't very noticeable. The one thing I would be happy to lose is my driver's license. What a terrible picture! I've been thinking of accidently losing it for awhile now.....
Yesterday, after calling the Gloucester police department to see if anyone turned in my diaper bag, I decided to drive down to see if I could locate the duck boats. Not an easy feat, because they now are only running on the weekends. Came up empty, but on the way home I saw the marina where the duck boats parked. Score! A person at the mariner gave me an office number to call, so I called and left another message. With nothing left to do in Gloucester, I kicked my butt all the way home. At 1pm, someone finally called me from the duck boat company. She said nothing had been turned in, but she would go look in the boats herself, and if she found the bag she would call me. Four hours passed, and just when I began to give up hope, the phone rang at 5:15pm. They found my bag! Apparently someone had given it to the Captain and he forgot to tell anyone. YES! Honesty prevails....
I just knew the world was still a good place. Yesterday while at Petco buying crickets for my son's turtles, Sammi was begging for gum out of the quarter machines. I told her we didn't have money for gum today, just crickets. Besides she doesn't chew gum yet, she eats it.... There was another little boy there with his mother, putting in his quarter. And although Sammi (and Mikey) really wanted some, they quietly left the store with me. After I buckled them up in their carseats the little boy approached me. With his hands grimy as only a 6 year old at play can get them, he held up a fistful of gum balls. He said, "Could I please give some of these to your children?" Although, I declined his kind offer by explaining that they didn't chew gum yet, I smiled and thanked him for being so thoughtful. Yes, the world is still a good and honest place. Thank you stranger, thank you little boy with the grimy hands.
Well, I'm off to Gloucester to pick up the diaper bag. It's supposed to be in the mid-70's today. Think we'll stay and enjoy the beach for awhile.....
9 comments:
I'm glad you found the bag...it is a huge pain to have to replace and cancel so many things. Yes, I have been there and done that.
The duck boat sounds like such a fun thing! We're lucky to get mid 70's as a low temp, so that sounds wonderful as the high temp....I would stay out too!
~Tina
Awww, this entry makes me feel good about people in this world! There are a very few honest and caring people left it seems and I am happy that you encountered not one but TWO of them within a few days of each other. How cute was that little boy to offer gumballs?!?! That is the sweetest thing I have ever heard! :)
Hugs and love, Lisa
Everythg turned out great!
V
Hi, I'm printing and saving this for reading while laid up with foot surgery today. Just wanted to comment and let you know I'm not lurking -- but READING and enjoying the company of your journal while bedridden! Shana
I think we must have some kind of "duck-boat" here too.. or in Galveston, where I used to live. I never rode one, though. Looks and sounds like fun! Happy Birthday to your dad!! The food sounds delicious - especially since I haven't eaten yet today, LOL - and I'm glad you got your bag back! Always trust that the world is a good place. There's more good than evil. We just have to keep that balance. Be sure to repay that kindness to someone else. :)
glad all ended well! great photo!
~JerseyGirl
I've done the Duck Boat thing in Austin for my birthday and I LOVED IT! My mom went with me. It was part of her present to me last year. I am so glad we did something for us -- because if I'd waited for Chuck to go with me, I'd STILL BE WAITING. Some things I get really jazzed up about are so silly, but then again, I see it as absurd that everyone doesn't just love to quack like a duck and blow their little whistle at passersby! LOL! Shana (You DID get a duck bill quacker didn't you? LOL)
Were you like Lovey Howell and brought a dozen outfits for your three hour tour? or since it was only a 55 minute tour, did you bring one-third as many diamonds? It still amazes me that Gilligan's Island was ever a hit. It was so dorky! OK, but I admit, I've seen 'em all. I guess I'm a dork.
Aww that little boy in the store was really sweet! I am glad you found your bag also.
~heather
Post a Comment