Wednesday, September 22, 2004

Apology To A Twinkie

Picture from AOL/Text added by s0ngbird1962

News Flash: Twinkies Baker Runs Out Of Dough For Creditors

The Reason:  Blames bankruptcy on the low-carb craze

I'm sitting here in shock this morning..... I've helped kill the Twinkie! ::::hands clasped looking up towards the sky, crying "Please forgive me, what have I done?"::::

Yes, it's true.... You see, I was an Atkins follower.  I pushed aside Twinkies and all other things evil that contained the dreaded carb.  The weight came off fast and painlessly.  Within 3 months I had dropped 23 pounds.  My husband also did Atkins and he has lost (and maintained) a 70 pound weight loss.  I felt great and energized, and I'm ashamed to admit I did not miss you Twinkie.   Ok, so maybe a little....

Is it too late to save you Twinkie?  Say it isn't so....  Was it really my vanity to look thinner, and my desire for better health that was the cause of your demise?  For 40 years I partook in your golden deliciousness.  The memories of breaking your golden cake in half, exposing your creamy center, still fills my heart with joy. 

I always assumed that you, dear Twinkie, would be around forever.  I've heard it said that if there was a nuclear blast the only survivor's would be cockroaches and Twinkies.  :::sigh::: Apparently the Twinkie is much more fragile than ever imagined.... No nuclear blast needed, just a bunch of carb haters.

R.I.P. Twinkie... May you live forever in that happy pastry shop in the sky..... 

   

16 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh, the poor Twinkie.  But hey, in the long run, you've made yourself feel better and extended your life span ;)  LOL.  I'm sure Twinkie will survive, with the help of people like me... Who can't stick to the Atkins diet :)  Have a great day!
HUGS,
Jennifer
http://journals.aol.com/perkysgrl/APickleForYourThoughts

Anonymous said...

TOO FUNNY! I REALLY ENJOY YOUR JOURNAL, AND HAVE IT ON MY ALERTS! STOP BY AND SEE ME SOMETIME!
http://journals.aol.com/kdwsunshine/ADayInTheLifeOfMe

hugs,
Kathi

Anonymous said...

I read the same news report and was equally distressed!  I have been trying on my own to keep the Twinkies Bakers in business, but I am, afterall, only one woman.  No Atkins for me, give me a golden, delicious Twinkie with the mysterious cream on the inside ANY DAY!  Oh woe is me!
Hugs and love, Lisa

Anonymous said...

LOL!!   tooo funny!     oh, the poor twinkie.   what's next??  There are soo many carb loaded items out there.  And I love them all..... :p

Anonymous said...

23 pounds in three months!  I am impressed....but how selfish of you to do that when all the poor little twinkie wanted to do was keep you all carbed up.... ;)

~Tina

Anonymous said...

A truly sad day if this is true!!!

Anonymous said...

"A truly sad day, if this is true"....

Well, it was highlighted on the AOL main screen yesterday....  whether or not they'll be able to pull out of the bankruptcy by finding other creditors remains to be seen....

Anonymous said...

this is way to funny....thanks for sharing!
http://journals.aol.com/bernmilo/WAYNEATOPICTURES

Anonymous said...

You Twinkie killer!  I just KNEW you had something to do with it *wink* *wink*....LOL....I've read this......it's true!  And word has it that Krispy Kreme isn't doing so well either......they are gonna have to come out with 0 carb donuts and twinkies!  

~JerseyGirl    

Anonymous said...

I think Hostess has it all wrong. I wouldn't blame the Twinkie death on the low carb craze as much as I would blame it on Little Debbie. Although she doesn't make a twinkie...the prices for her snacks were 1/3 the price of Hostess's goodies. I could get a box of Little Debbie chocolate rolly things (that's what my kids call them) for 1.09 but a box of Ho Ho's was 3.56!

Anonymous said...

NOOOOOOOO... they CAN'T stop making the Twinkie.  The only other nickname I've ever had - other than SloMo - is Twinkie, given to me by my father.  You know... sweet, soft on the inside?  Awww... Embarrassing, but screw it!  LOL  My father gave me a box of Twinkies on my WEDDING DAY, for Christ SAKE!  I've helped kill the Twinkie too.  I never buy them. But I LOVE THEM.  I need them in my life.  I'm going to go cry now.... I need to head to the store too and stock up on any still left on the shelves.  My freezer will keep their memory alive.  :(

Anonymous said...

confession:  i HATE twinkies.  I am soo sorry to have to admit this.  I dont buy them for my kids either.  they may be the only kids in america who grow up without all the joys of twinkies that you mentioned.  i apologize.  perhaps i should go buy a box to give to my kids to help them have a taste of history before it isa ot late.  thanks for the laugh!
Amy

Anonymous said...

<<GASP>>> Say it isn't so?!?!?!

LOL that's ok. I don't really care for them myself.

~Heather

Anonymous said...

Noooooo!!!  Not the Twinkie!  My best friend growing up.  Times are changing but COME ON, Twinkies are immortal.  My mouth waters just thinking about it.  I swear, if it weren't midnight here, I'd run out to find a Twinkie.  Guess it'll have to wait another day.  I'll buy two : One to eat.  And one to cherish forever!

Anonymous said...

What a great tribute to what is possibly the BEST snack food on earth!  I grew up on Twinkies...I have a plastic Twinkie cowboy in my office!  Sob!

BTW...thanks for visiting my journal!

Anonymous said...

toooooooooooooooo hilarious!!!!!!!!!