Ok, so I know I'm beginning to sound like the weather-woman lately in my journal. But I can't help it.... In the past few years, I've really begun to notice how the weather affects my mood. And my mood often dictates what I write in my journal... Sometimes I feel that maybe I should just do a video entry with yours truly talking about the weather, Oh what a sight! Picture me, excitedly flailing my arms in front of a giant map while wearing an ill-fitting suit. November has been an incredibly mild month. Lot's of sun and temperatures into the mid 60's to low 70's. Gorgeous, perfect.
Well, almost.
With Indian summer making an unexpected appearance here in New England; one would think that my family would have been able to shake the illnesses that have been plaguing us. Not to be. Although Sammi's pneumonia has cleared, Mikey now sounds like Daffy Duck. I'm giving his immune system one week to fight this thing on his own. And if that wasn't bad enough....
There has been a 24-hour stomach virus going around at work. This virus must be very potent, because residents and staff are dropping like flies. Without being graphic, I fell victim to this bug while at work on Wednesday night. I tried to stick out the shift because the other nurse wasn't feeling well either, but I finally had to jump ship around 4am. As I was leaving the building, three residents began simutaneously vomiting. The poor girls who weren't sick, they were dry-heaving as they tried to clean up the foul smelling mess....
Friday night I returned to work and thankfully it was a pretty quiet night. I know I don't talk alot about my work, but I do love my job, most days. In the 15 years I've been in nursing I have experienced many things. Sometimes some things can't be explained :::insert twilight zone music:::: and I've come to accept that. In my acceptance in embracing those moments, my faith has grown stronger, more resolute.
Friday night, one of those things happened. Elise, 105 years old was actively dying. This wasn't unexpected, as her health had been declining over the past few months. I always had a sort of connection with her, because she was French Canadian, like me. She sounded just like many of my relatives. Elise didn't have anyone to sit with her, her daughter is in her 80's and not in good health. So the girls and I took turns going to her through-out the night. Although non-responsive we wanted her to know she wasn't alone.
On one of my last visits to her room, I noticed a very large black fly buzzing around her head. I was bothered by this fly, did it sense that she was dying? And where did it come from? There are not many flies around in November. It's very exsistence felt like an omen, that her death was near.... I left her room feeling uneasy. We visited Elise a few times after that, the fly had disappeared. Around 2:30am, the girls went outside to have a smoke. I'm the only non-smoking night person. As I sat at the desk doing paperwork, a white moth suddenly began to swoop around my head. I tried to swat it away but as I did, I had this incredible feeling of knowing that Elise had just died.
Almost like a voice told me....almost.
Immediately shivers ran up my arms, the hair on the back of my neck stood up. Convinced that my imagination was just in over-drive I decided to take the long walk down the corridor to Elise's room. Yes, surely it was just my imagination. As I rounded the corner to her room, there Elise lay...dead. Rest in peace, dear lady.
Coincidence? Maybe.... but my faith once more grows stronger.
Quote of the day: " I fear one day I'll meet God, he'll sneeze and I won't know what to say...." ~~Ronnie Shakes
12 comments:
A truly awesome entry. I've experienced unusual things too. The only people who didn't raise their eyebrows or laugh, when I shared my experiences were those who had experienced unusual things themselves. Hope you get to feeling better.
Hugs,
Barb- http://journals.aol.com/barbpinion/HEYLETSTALK
I believe. :)
Candace
I know exactly what you mean. It's like the Lord is giving you some signals and guiding us through things. My faith is growing but it's been hard lately for some reason. Unexplainable. Like a dry season or something. I hope it passes soon. Hugs,
Lisa
I believe. So many odd things like that have happened to me as well. Nursing is such an odd occupation...always balancing on the precipice between the life and death of your patients. I don't know...maybe that statement makes no sense...but it's just hard to explain.
I'm sure Elise was glad to have all of you around in her final hours...
XO,
bridgett
{{Michelle}} What a truely awesome entry. It sent chills down my spine and brought tears to my eyes. I believe, but sometimes I teeter. Many hugs and rest in peace, Elise.
WOW! and WOW again! That story sent shivers down my spine! Amazing. I am sorry that the sickies have been going around your house. :( Hopefully with the cold weather that is supposedly coming to New England it will kick these stupid germs butts and everyone will be healthy soon!!
Hugs and lots of love,
Lisa
First of all, God bless your young'uns. I hope they are feeling well again very soon. Also, I'm glad that you're feeling better. Ew, stomach bug, the pits. Stephen just got over one of those.
What is it with flying creatures and death? Paul says, when his mom died, a butterfly flew in his car, sat on the steering wheel like it was staring at him; flew on his shoulder and stayed for a while, then, when he stretched out his hand, it landed on his finger and stayed a while. Then, after much time went by, it flew away ... He felt it was some sort of message from beyond. .... Elise, 105 years old. Wow ... That is something.
Enjoy the warm weather as it lasts. We never know now days what it's going to do. It's in the 80's here! Very strange.
hugs!
Mia~
Beautiful cosmic happenings around you and Elise. She certainly lived a long life.
I'm always amazed by the number of health professionals (mainly female nurses) who smoke!
Take care of yourself and the kids with all the sickness floating around this season. It's been bad everywhere.
Oh right, I meant to say I love how the title of this entry is also the disclaimer. [hey, where are the pictures?!] ;)
I hope you are all feeling better...all the sickness sounds miserable.
I am glad your experiences cause your faith to grow stronger. Although I am not a nurse, I really know what you mean by the phrase, "Almost like a voice told me..."
~Tina
Have you read the Emily Dickinson poem?
I heard a Fly buzz -- when I died --
The Stillness in the Room
Was like the Stillness in the Air --
Between the Heaves of Storm --
The Eyes around -- had wrung them dry --
And Breaths were gathering firm
For that last Onset -- when the King
Be witnessed -- in the Room --
I willed my Keepsakes -- Signed away
What portion of me be
Assignable -- and then it was
There interposed a Fly --
With Blue -- uncertain stumbling Buzz --
Between the light -- and me --
And then the Windows failed -- and then
I could not see to see --
Hugs,
V
Wow....amazing moments...
truly.
Maybe Elise was asking you to come say good bye. Or thank you...who knows.
105 though, wow.
great entry.
I have had moments where my faith has grown too.
:D
Post a Comment