Thursday, September 8, 2005

End Of Summer Thoughts

Picture taken September 2005

 

And so the end of summer has almost arrived.....  Everytime I go to the beach now, I take a moment to silently say "good bye".   I know that soon it will be too cold to come down and watch the sun sink quietly into the horizon, or feel the warm sand beneath my bare feet.   I have always loved the ocean, the waves crashing on the shore, the salty air.  I feel alive there, rejuvenated.  Yes, the ocean.  Unpredictable and as beautiful as she is cruel....    

This morning was Sammi's first day of preschool.  She's ready, I'm not.  It doesn't feel right in the house, too quiet.   This is the first time the *dynamic duo* has been seperated.  Mikey is lost without her.  He has always had her by his side, his partner in crime.   He has called out, "Sam?" twice already.  And when she didn't answer he walked sadly up to me saying, "I want Sammi home now..."  I should do something special with him today, but I'm having a hard time leaving the house.  What happens if the phone rings and Sammi needs me?  (I forgot to pack her a change of clothes in case of an accident, and I only packed 2 drinks, should have packed 3.)  Organization has never been my strong point.  Thankfully she'll only be going for 2 days a week, that's all my heart can handle for now.   Strange having one child ending his grade school experience as a senior in high school and another just beginning her journey at preschool. 

Well, off to try and get motivated.   Today the temps are supposed to be in the low 80's, so maybe we'll head to the beach.  Feeling rejuvenated doesn't sound half bad right now.  I can even say "good bye" one more time.... 

Yes, the end of summer has almost arrived.... 

 

Quote Of The Day: 

Normal day, let me be aware of the treasure you are... Let me not
pass you by in quest of some rare and perfect tomorrow. One day I
shall dig my nails into the earth, or bury my face in my pillow, or
stretch myself taut, or raise my hands to the sky and want, more than
all the world, your return.     -- Mary Jean Iron

17 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ooh, they are too darn adorable.  Those faces are just too sweet.

I wasn't ready for my little one to go off to preschool, but she was ready and very much enjoys it.

I hope for your sake, Mickey adjusts really quickly to being only one part of the Dynamic Duo while she is at school!

~Jennifer~
http://journals.aol.com/perkysgrl/APickleForYourThoughts

Anonymous said...

What a precious photo. I can relate to your feelings. I well remember sending my first little one off to school. Was teary all day. lol  I love the ocean too. We live about a two and a half hour drive from it; visit as often as we can.
Take care, hon.
Barb- http://journals.aol.com/barbpinion/HEYLETSTALK

Anonymous said...

Beautiful Pic!
Sorry, I`ve been sick for 2 weeks. I`ll be back more often.
V

Anonymous said...

What a happy and sad day at the same time!  I am sure Sammi did just fine though, probably better than you did worry wart!  LOL!  I am the same way.  Two days per week is plenty!!!  :)
Hugs and love,
Lisa

Anonymous said...

I too have children close in age who have been separated by school and pre-school. It is sad when their best buddy suddenly disappears for a while, but like anything else, they soon adapt. But still, there is always a lot of excitement in my house when it's time for the wanderer to return. Love the photo, pictures of siblings are so sweet when they cuddle up so tenderly, those are the pictures we really hold precious, aren't they?
Tilly
http://journals.aol.co.uk/tillysweetchops/Adventuresofadesperatelyfathouse/

Anonymous said...

They are so cute! I have enjoyed reading your journals. The kids antics had me laughing. Isn't it amazing what they think of to do next? Wow! Your little girl is growing up so quickly. I''ve missed reading your entries and hope that you will feel up to journaling more often. Take care.  Anna

Anonymous said...

What a beautiful picture.  I stumbled across your journal, hope you don't mind me stopping by!

Anonymous said...

THIS IS SUCH A CUTE PIC OF THE KIDS...YEAH...SUMMER IS OVER...BOO HOO...LOL...NICE BLOG.....KISHA

Anonymous said...

what a great picture.  my youngest is a junior in high school.  my two oldest are out on their own, and my 5 stepsons are gone too...2 married and i have 2 grandkids...it's hard to let go....you do have the right attitude though...enjoy them!  rose

Anonymous said...

Oh...that's sad about Mikey wondering around the house.  Makes me feel so bad for him (and mommy too).  

I can't believe how big your kids have gotten this summer.  They've really had a growth spurt it seems.  

And I have to comment on the picture...it's gorgeous.  You should definitely frame that one...

Love,
bridgett

Good-bye summer...

Anonymous said...

that is the most beautiful picture! I love the sunset in the background and your kids are absolutely adorable. Sammi's gonna be a heartbreaker someday =)

Anonymous said...

Wow, they are beautifull children!  And growing up fast!  The look so happy too!  Thanks for sharing!  Shana

Anonymous said...

beautiful kids! Great pic!

~ Karyn
http://journals.aol.com/karynetaylor/WhateverItTakes

Anonymous said...

what a sweet photo.  another fall upon us, my favorite season!
~  www.jerseygirljournal.com

Anonymous said...

Hey, how was her first day?  Did you survive?  Did Mikey?  I'm confident Sammi did just fine. ;)  Full circle, with one child finishing and another just beginning.  You get to experience all aspects at the same time.  Happy fall.  xo

Anonymous said...

That picture is the best!  You have the perfect subjects.....and that setting!!

End of summer definitely means something different to me than it does to you....I am so happy to see it ending!

~Tina

Anonymous said...

Aww, I hope Sammi is lovin' preschool! I cried my eyes out, Stephen's first day. So much so, I had to pull to the side of the road. I know how you feel. It just doesn't feel right. And Mikey! Bless his sweet lil' heart, I know he must be missing her while she's there. When he realizes, "Hey, I've got mama all to myelf!" maybe, it'll get easier for him.

I love the photo! You always have the sweetest pics of them!

Trying to say goodbye to summer here, in AL but it won't leave! ;P

Love
Mia