Picture of the bat in my livingroom.... Please pay no attention to the dust, lol.... Those slots on the box fan are only 1.5"inch L X 1/2" inch W; guess I missed dusting those small squares. (And how does dust collect there with the fan blasting almost all the time? LOL) Well, no problem with the dust now, the fan is still sitting out on the deck. Ok, now on to the story.....
Thursday night around 8pm as I was talking to Mike on the phone, (his phone call woke me up; the kids and I were in the livingroom in the dark watching Scooby Doo on TV), my eyes caught something glint in my peripheral vision. Thinking it was probably nothing, I continued talking to Mike while lying on the couch. And then suddenly....
SWOOP....
A bat flew inches from my head and then started flying in circles in the livingroom. It had the approximate wing span of a red robin. I watched it do a few circles overhead, then totally freaked. Mike was on the other end of the phone when I saw it. He laughed and said, "Are you sure it's not just a big moth?" Honestly, I couldn't get out of there fast enough. Being incredibly brave :::cough, cough:::: I was already standing in the middle of the kitchen when I called for the kids to get out of the livingroom, NOW. I whisked them, the kitten and our dog off to my bedroom & shut the door. We stayed in there until Mike returned home about a half hour later.
Mike couldn't find the bat at first, but I KNEW what I saw & wasn't coming out til he did, lol. He finally found the bat, it had squeezed itself into our fan in the window. The slots on the box fan are only 1.5"L X 1/2"W.... How the heck it got in there is amazing. Unfortunately for the bat, the fan was still running when he flew in there. Initially the bat was fine, just clung to the inside of the fan grill. Hey, maybe he got stuck in all that dust.... Mike planned on covering the fan with a towel to trap the bat, but he needed to move it first. Not wanting to turn off the fan, thinking the bat might take flight again, he moved the fan just a little....
THUMP......
The blades whacked that bat on the head ending his lil' life. :::shudder:::: No towel needed. Mike went out later to remove the bat from the fan. He had to unscrew the front of the fan to get him out. And then for some insane reason, he thought I'd like to see it. Ummmmm, not! Men!
Today I'm sitting here still slightly freaked out. I'm trying to figure out where that bat, aka rodent with wings, came from.
Sure hoping he doesn't have friends....
15 comments:
Gross. Hopefully he was an orphan!
Candace
Well, if it did have friends,just show them the fan! O_O haha
I don't think there is any creature in this world that freaks me out more than bats.
You describe it all so well, I really felt the heebie geebies! (And don't worry, everyone has dust in their fans! Well, I do anyway...) ;o)
Wow! I have to agree... why is it that men think we want to see the prey they have killed for us? Is it the need to say, "See, I killed for you? Look what I have done!" As they dangle their prey before us with sparkle and joy in their eyes. I have a husband who does this to me with every spider. They do not realize just how thankful we are they removed the rodent, insect, whatever it is and that we are so proud and happy until that moment they want us to waver for one more moment of fear and concern that makes my heart fail. I have no idea how to convey this to my man. Have given up. Hugs and try to stay clear of the bat friends if any more do indeed arrive!! I wonder if bats are in Florida too or just a thing of the north. We've got black widows and snakes and hosts of variations of those...some deadly some not, and gators... it is just so dang irritating. Enough reason for me to think about moving north everytime we see one. I even got bit by a spider now and have this little knot right in the center and front of above the boobies. Grrr. The doctor looked at it right away and is all ready concerned.
Hugs,
Lisa
http://journals.aol.com/randlprysock/AdventuresFromFlorida/
ewww....I had a bat in my bedroom once...and of course Ernie was at work...yuck!!! I killed it with a broom!
Becky
rofl - I had that happen to me once - Called husband home from work to get out - Thankfully in one piece still rofl
Becky ( KyBluebloods )
Too Funny- unless its swooping around your living room!! Bats have their place and I have mine - and they're not the same one. I once decided to "test" a bat's sonar when it flew toward my head, but lost my nerve about same time he bailed and flew up. Of course that was outside........
They do keep the mosquitoes down tho. Maybe he mistook your fan for a bat-house?
Kathy
LOL ~ I would've freaked out too. It reminds me of the time mom and I were home alone. A bat decided to start flying around our heads, as well. We somehow managed to get it into a bag (don't ask me how...I just don't remember. I probably blocked the trauma from my brain.)
Anyhow...after we got it in the bag, my mom got the poker from the fireplace and whacked that bat to death. I mean...she REALLY whacked that poor bat. LOL
They sure are gross little creatures though...aren't they?
Love,
bridgett
YIKES! Sounds like something that would happen to me while Todd was at work and not able to come home for 5 hours!!! I would have freaked out too, but I also have 6 cats that would have LOVED to get their claws on that bat! They have contests on who can catch any bugs that happen to sneak into the house when I open the door at night! :)
Hugs and love, Lisa
Ack! I have a friend who had a close encounter with a bat in the house and they all ended up having to have rabies shots!
Ok Mel, you're not the first to say that.... Now I'm slightly more freaked out, lol. What happens if the bat was in the house for more than one night & it did bite one of us? Wishing now we kept the bat to have it tested, but it's long gone. It went out with the trash Friday morning...
Oh my. Poor widdle bat with the thump. :(
Don't be fooled by my compassion for the bat, I'd have freaked-the-frick-out!! I can't even imagine. Actually, I can, but I don't want to. As you say ::shudder::
Obviously you weren't so freaked out that you couldn't snap a photo. A die-hard blogger! Nice job!
LOL freee....
hubby took the pic. : )
Martha Stewart might be shuddering about the dust, but as for me, it was the bat that had me totally freaked. I can't even kill an ant when it is crawling on the windowsill. I'm just a bug-fearing dweeb. A bat would probably have me shrieking loud enough to call the cops without even dialing a phone. Well, if nothing else, at least this entry tells me that men are good for SOMETHING. LOL
Who took the Pic?
V
Post a Comment