Picture of my sunflower.... Taken by Mike : )
The prettiest thing in my garden is this sunflower. Yes, had visions of great things for my garden but little by little it's slipping away.
My squash and cucumbers were attacked by aphids, the deer are eating my corn. Whole stalks are being eaten and trampled. The stalks that are left are dwarfed, probably by the high temps and very little rain. Mike thinks I should water them, that they'll spring back. But I think it's useless.... Gotta face it, those stalks are so withered that I've grown popcorn on the cob. The little ears that are there will never grow bigger than those minature ears of corn found in chinese food. And then there are my tomatoes....
My plants are gorgeous, the branches are heavy and drooping from the bountiful amounts of tomatoes that cling to them. But unfortunately, something is happening to my tomatoes before they ripen. They are rotting (or being eaten) from underneath while on the vine. I've been picking some green ones and letting them ripen on the windowsill, seems whatever it is doesn't like green tomatoes.
So, my gardening experience hasn't been all I dreamed of. But I'm not discouraged. I have had some success. And then, of course, there is the sunflower. It's truly beautiful....
Just hoping the squirrel won't eat the sunflower seeds before I can....
Quote of the day: "Even on cloudy days, the sunflower follows the sun." Unknown
6 comments:
your sunflower is beautiful, very lovely. :)
sometimes things don't go as planned, but as long as the experience was worth it.
then it's all good!
:)
Beautiful Sunflower.
'Garden Dreams'
:)
You have had much more success then I ever have had.... :) Glad you are not discouraged.
Kate
BRAVO! Shana
Ahhh, the joys of gardening! You finally get to see the fruits of your labor and then nature destroys it! Just consider it giving back to nature that's all, this way you won't get too frustrated! I love sunflowers by the way! I never figured out how to keep them standing upright though when they finally reach their 8 feet tall and have all those heavy sunflower seeds in the middle! :)
Hugs and love, Lisa
Your garden sounds delicious!! I wish we had a fence... I'd be tearing up a corner of my property to put in a huge garden of veggies... but alas, we have these too close for comfort neighbors and I'm not even sure a veggie garden is allowed in this neighborhood. It's got lots of rules and I haven't even picked up the rule book. Yikes! I'm loving that sunflower! Just gorgeous. Sorry to hear something is eating some of the plants and profits. Well, hopefully you can chase those things away and still enjoy most of the garden! My hubby is a landscaper and would probably know what it is and what to do if we were there. Only thing is, a landscaper's wife never has landscaping. And then he changed fields to a maintenance tech and now I don't have maintenance either. LoL! Hugs,
Lisa
This year has really stunk as far as gardens are concerned. Little rain and hot weather has really made the corn not form cobs at all. My garden right now does have tomatoes...but we had 3 days of rain so the weeds are winning. I love Sunflowers, I have one huge one and about 6 more tring to race it to see if they can be bigger! Beautiful picture. rose~
Post a Comment