Today.....
My face is broken out by a flare up of psoriasis. I feel self-conscious on days like these. I KNOW people look at me and wonder things like, "Is it catchy?"
My hair has a white skunk stripe where I have slacked off on covering my roots. And to add to the appeal, my hair is a mass of frizz thanks to the humid 90-degree weather we've been experiencing. Think Cruella DeVille....
Lastly, all this humidity has me feeling bloated, so I decided to wear a baggy tie dyed t-shirt with a pair of shorts that didn't quite match....
I didn't care....
The kids and I were only going to Walmarts to buy a new kiddie pool. We're still waiting for the replacement liner for our pool. It's been on order for three weeks now. Arghhh! Nope, didn't care how I looked. I was just looking forward to escaping the heat while riding in our air conditioned van. I can't believe that I was whining about the rain and cold less than two weeks ago....
And so, not feeling particularly good about my appearance, but accepting that it is just *one of those days* I said, "Let's go...." As we began to walk out of the door, Sammi innocently looked up at me and said, "You look beautiful today Mommy."
Suddenly I felt better, I guess I did care. Ahhh yes, beauty is indeed in the eyes of the beholder....
...Thanks Sammi girl, you made my day....
Quote of the day:
"The best and most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen or even touched. They must be felt within the heart." ~~Helen Keller
20 comments:
Bless your child. Hope your flare up clears up soon. Most of the time people dont pay that much attention. At least that's what I tell myself when I have one of those "off days" we women get. Hugs, hon.
Barb- http://journals.aol.com/barbpinion/THERESTOFTHESTORY
http://journals.aol.com/barbpinion/HEYLETSTALK
ahhhh.
children see straight to the soul. :D
good job sammie :)
Dear Princess Bride,
Put your mind at rest... I saw (2) people at Wal*Mart in their PJs yesterday... Oh... I have been so tempted! However, if I so much as go out of the house w/o make-up (which I do often), I always run into someone who knows me (usually from working in the public schools) who says, "You look pale. Are you sick?" Sheez... My natural sex appeal is anemic Limey. LOL, and the other kicker is when I am back "home" and I go to K-Mart looking like something the cat drug in and run into my old boyfriend from high school -- who is now looking just spiffy like a new dime! LOL! I have NO LUCK in such matters! Your daughter looks like the New Millennium Queen of England on that 2-wheeler with a tiara! LOVE IT! Thanks for such a "human" entry... Or is it a sis'ta entry? My husband, who mows the lawn topless for all the neighbors to see what I sleep with at night, doesn't get it! LOL! Shana
It really counts when a child tells you because they have not yet learned to say those things when they don't mean it! I have a book I read a child about a little boy in Russia who lost his mother. He told the villiage officials she was the most beautiful woman in the world. they called all the beautiful women together and one one was his mother. They called out ot all the surrounding villages and had the most beautiful women come..and again none of them was his mother. finally, the ugliest woman that was ever seen came running into the village and the boy said, there she is the most beautiful woman in the world, my mother". I think the moral tot he story is that it isnot what is onthe outside that makes us beautiful.....especially to our kids!
Becky
How sweet! JAE
That is so sweet!!! And, as you found out, children LOVE bright colors!! You can wear the gaudiest shirt and they will think it's beautiful! LOL! The humidity is killing us here too, especially my Emma with her asthma. I have psoriasis also, but I have it on my feet and on each of my thumbs for some reason. That is painful so I can't imagine how itchy it must feel on your face! OWWWWW! Hope you were able to find a kiddie pool, we went to Walmart and they were all sold out yesterday. Sigh.
Hugs and love, Lisa
oh course it counts besides they are they are the ones that REALLY matter right? rose
Your Sammi is at that wonderful age when you are the most beautiful, talented, loved person in the universe. The key is to find these traits in yourself always. Little children (I say little, because as they get older they are less likely to comment) have such wonderful ways of seeing beauty. It's all around. It's inside us all. Thank God for us!! Michelle
Beautiful!
V
Hey there, I am a 35 y/o man with psoriasis, don't let it get you down, I usually have flare ups that cover 90% of my body, over the last week the scales have broken away just leaving the flaming red look (like I went to the sun red), but tomorrow I am going to wear a short sleeve shirt, I am over people staring, most of my friends and co-workers are educated about the disease, so please have a good day (Tuesday), I am going to, just know that everytime you flare up, you are not alone.
I love your quote of the day- thank you for sharing that with us! And sorry to hear about the heat up there too. I hate the snow and the heat. I just want it to be like spring and fall all year round. Not asking much am I? We run to our vans and run in our houses down here. No one wants to go out to play in this weather. All the kids are in their houses playing tendo during the day. My roots always need touching up too and of course it sneaks up on me slow. Then I look in the mirror and I'm scared of myself. Your daughter is just adorable! Hugs,
Lisa
http://journals.aol.com/randlprysock/AdventuresFromFlorida/
lots of hugs your way. judi
Aw, Sammi is such a precious girl! And how adorable! We met a little girl named, Maggie at Pizza Hut today who sat in the booth behind us, and I swear she looked so much like your Sammi! Especially the hair! Ah, to die for.
Been experiencing some of that weather here too. Ugh! humidity in Alabama is awful.
Hope y'all can find a shade and cool off in the kiddie pool! ;)
Mia
I really liked you saying at the end. It has so much thruth behind it.
Aw, that is so sweet. That's why we have kids, right?
Awwww...how sweet! Out of the mouths of babes are sometimes the *best* comments and compliments you will ever hear. They always make my day!
Gina
http://journals.aol.com/motoxmom72/GinasWeigtLossJourney
Wonderful journal- so interesting we do enjoy it. Hope that you have a good 4th week end.
Your Tennessee Friends, Dad, Mary and Princess.
On days when I feel like I look exactly like that, could you please tape-record Sammy and send me the message?
Try Bag Balm for the psoriasis, my brother used it for his psoriasis and it practically made it disappear. Hang in there.
Aww - I'm just catching up here. I'm so sorry for your psoriasis flare up. I hope things have calmed down in your system. I can relate on a different level (with unstoppable eczema).
How perfectly timed Sammi's declaration of love was/is. Little miracles. Good for you for listening. Beauty is beneath appearance.
How's the weather? Still humid? Ick. I remember! :( Hop in that kiddie pool and soak up their love. :)
Post a Comment