Picture of Sammi's Barbies...
While no one was looking I played with my daughter's Barbie's last night. I didn't mean to, really I didn't. I only went into her room to pick-up a few toys, when suddenly, my eyes gazed upon a disheveled but much loved Barbie. (The Princess Pauper, in the picture above).
First, I straightened out her gown and then found a brush to remove the tangles from her long brown hair. But I didn't stop there. I sought out her three other Barbies and did the same thing. As I finished each one, I placed them in the large pink Barbie/Princess castle. When all four were sitting there side by side, (looking MUCH happier, I swear) I sat looking and remembering.....
....How I loved my Barbie's as a young girl. I played with my Barbies until I was 14 years old. My oldest brother used to tease me, saying, "You're too old to be playing with Barbies." Perhaps I was.... When I was 13, I gave my parents (I mean, Santa) my wish list for Christmas. When my Mom saw the list, she said "Michelle, this is the last year you can ask for Barbies. You're getting too old." Hmmmm, had she been talking to my oldest brother?
Santa delivered my wish. The Barbie Airliner was great! I would get together with another friend who still played Barbie's too. She had the Barbie camper, oh, the adventures we had. Our favorite scenerio included putting on her Brady Bunch album, (yes, they had an album where they sang), and we pretended to be on tour performing. Our stage was the roof of the camper. Sweet memories....
In my 14th year, I decided to say goodbye to my dolls and Barbies and packed them away forever. It was a sad day when I realized that it was time to grow up. I think part of that realization, was due in part, because of a crush I had on a boy, Tom. Whom, 2 years later, became my first boyfriend....
Last night I made a decision. Although I truly feel I couldn't have had more wonderful parents; I will never tell my daughter she is too old to play with Barbies. What's the rush to be grown-up anyways? Besides, if she listens....
What will I have to play with while no one is looking?
25 comments:
hello songbird :)
My daughter loves barbies as well, on her 12th birthday I had said no more barbies. She had soo many in her room, and all were in such terrible shape. You know, hair cut all off, marker all over there faces. I told her this was the last year but I will not ask her to pack them up though, that will be up to her.
there, that's my confession.
you hate me now? : /
and I thought that was wonderful that you took the time to sit down to dress up the barbies and make them look nice. :)
Aww...memories. I have that Brady CD. Sunshine Day. Time to Change. Yeah, I know em all. ;)
Interesting that your mom made you drop Barbies and you went right to boyfriends. Today, parents are begging for their kids to stick with Barbies (or other toys). They grow up too fast.
I'm not a fan of Barbie, but as a source of innocent playful entertainment for young girls, I'm all for it. Keep them around as long as possible. ;)
That is too cool. Yes, I think we grow up too fast and make our kids grow up too fast.
I loved Barbie as a kid...and I wanted my oldest daughter to like her too, but she didn't like them. I kept forcing and she kept resisting. Then I had a boy, and then another GIRL. YEAH, I didn't force the Barbie issue with her, she loved Barbie on her own. So I got a little 'Barbie Fix' for a while. They are all packed up in the attic for now. Someday I may have Granddaughters I can play with Barbie again. Until then...... they are just sweet memories.
Kate~
Awww...Barbies. I loved them too. I think that's part of the reason I was so happy to have a girl this time. Now I have an excuse to play Barbies again!!
I adored this entry...brought back so many memories for me too. And I agree with you...what's the rush to grow up? Let her play with Barbies until her wedding day, if she so desires. =)
Love,
b
You don't have to be a girl or a woman to enjoy Barbies. From the age of twelve, I discovered Barbie in a department store. Diecaste modells, action, figures, plastic models, and such were my favorite toys. When it came to things that I considered just for girls these were jwelry like earrings; makeup; and feninine looking clothes such as dresses. Boys and girls both grow up to rent or own homes; drive vehicles; fly airplanes as pilots or passengers; and the guys are given as expectant fathers baby dolls in birthing classes. So you see why I just through common sense never considered dolls only for girls. The man who coined the term "action Figure" did so because he thought no male would play with it if it was called a doll. I always wanted to date or marry. Barbie was perfect for my GI Joes since I wanted to one day date and marry a girl. I never ever thought any female had to look like one. After all, it is just a toy. My enjoyment with Barbies has only increased as I have gotten older. Who has age got to do with when you no longer are allowed to enjoy toys? When YOU FEEL no longer enjoyment with such things is more reasonable. Playing with such things never caused me to want to be a female in any way. It just made me thankful to be male.
Aw Michelle, why don't I remember telling you that you were too old to play with Barbies...? I was so happy that you still loved your Barbies, that I used to brag to other mothers that my little girl was still a little girl at heart. I didn't think that I pushed you to grow up, I was worried about you growing up and facing the teenage years........ so so sorry about that memory, wish I could reverse it.... I don't know what I said to cause it.
Love (and lots of it) Mom.
I meant to say, "What has age got to do with it..." As long as you are successful in handling your necessary obligations in life, what is wrong with enjoying yourself in this manner? I still thoroughly enjoy diecaste models and action figures more today than as a young child. It is relaxing for me to comb their hair and or admire the exquisite design of mine which have never been removed from their packages. Real beauty in reality as related to humanity comes in all shapes and sizes. Having these toys have not made it impossible for me to differentiate between what is fantasy and that of reality. Being an adult shouldn't mean confinement from the harmless simple pleasures of cgildhood. Of course becoming mature means a progression from infantile behavior to adulthood. Your baby clothes, baby bottle, teething ring, stroller, ibaby toys, and so forth are of no personal use because of the growth of the human physical and mental development. These things become no more needed nor desired. However, not everything needs to be a part of that progression. A child as well as an adult will discard the use or need of certain toys as the value of having them is no longer present. .
Awwww, this entry really hit home with me. Sniff, sniff. I also played with Barbies until I was at least 14 years old AND I colored until I was 16 years old! I LOVED my Barbies! I had the airliner, the camper and the Townhouse (remember that one, with the elevator you had to pull the string for it to go up?). I spent HOURS finding new ways to do their hair and mixing and matching their outfits down to the switching of their earrings and shoes (remember when they first put the holes in the ears and the hand for the ring? LOL!). I loved that time because it was MY time! My time for ME, just to relax and live in my fantasy world. Of course my Barbie always became pregnant (with a wad of clothes stuffed under her shirt to represent the baby growing) and had baby Kelley afterwards with, naturally, her husband Ken. Didn't know exactly HOW she became pregnant, but every time I played, she was knocked up and having a baby! LOL! Sortof represents what I wanted to be in life. Just a Mommy and nothing more. Thanks for the memories! And, keep on playing with your daughter's Barbies! I will never tease you about that. :)
Hugs and love, Lisa
I was too much of a tom boy growing up to play with Barbies. Give me a shovel and can for digging worms, then off to the fishing hole I'd go!! Now that I have two girls, I LOVE playing with their dolls with them. My oldest is pretty much out of the stage now, but my youngest who is 8 next week wants to be a little girl forever, so we may have years to go!! YEH!
The very best part about being a mom is that suddenly you have an excuse to play with all the toys!! Barbies are the best. When I was a kid, I'd make their whole house. Spools of thread would be end tables, a tupperware bowl was their jacuzzi, and outfits were made from Kleenex and Scotch tape. Now, everything is done for them and I think that takes away some of the fun.
Did you or do you have a special Barbie that is or was your favorite one? Mine was the doll that you could program with a real computer. The way it worked was quite amazing in its technological design.
Laughs..my four year old sings all the songs from P&P, had both singing barbies (ugh). She sings so in tune with them too.
Hi Michelle! I love LOVE love this entry! I too didn't have enough time to play with Barbie's growing up... we always got the "fake" ones at Kmart and they didn't have any clothes: just a swim suit. Their legs and arms would pop off really easy and then we'd lose them so NOW I am reliving my childhood by collecting a few dolls. I have Barbie from Rome now and she is so pretty... and a whole bunch of other dolls. Someday I hope to buy one of those Victorian Dollhouses! No wonder we live by Disney. I will have to post a photo soon of us visiting the mouse! So glad you had some Barbie time and memories. I think these things are healthy for women! I buy my little girls Barbies all the time and you are so right... I don't think I will ever stop buying them for her!! I'm having too much fun picking out all the ones I would have wanted when I was a child. Funny how we do that stuff and try to give our kids the things we wanted when we were children.
Hugs,
Lisa
I loved when my daughter played with Barbies...she gave them up rather early on her own. I think I was 15 when I stopped playing with mine!
Tracie
I think Barbies are healthy for both genders. Adults and children!!!
I love toys......... especially creative ones. judi
Thank you Michelle for this entry. It allows me to share my view concerning toy preference in relation to individuality and personal experiences with this toy.
Get yourself a copy of The Sims. It's like Barbie on digital steroids.
My daughter has that one and Princess Anneliese too...which she just loves because they share the name...so now we must call her princess anneliese as well! LOL....I loved my barbies and when she plays with hers, will find myself helping her get them dressed or fix their hair....memories of days gone by only to experience them again through the eyes of a child :-)
~ www.jerseygirljournal.com
I just found your journal. You are the coolest person I know. Or that I don't know, rather. LOL ANYWAY....wow. I love it!!!! Take care....and I look forward to reading more. :) Your new friend, Gretchen
Heck I played with my daughter's dolls a lot of times too. It's fun and why not? I never told my daughter she was too old for dolls. People said I ought to tell her, but I didn't. She played with them till she was ready to put them aside. Hugs. *Barb* http://journals.aol.com/barbpinion/HEYLETSTALK
That`s neat!
V
I rarely played with dolls.....remember the beautiful one mom got me for Christmas & I drew a mustache on it.....last doll I ever got! That must be why God blessed me with so many boys! He knew what he was doing.
I totally agree! Everytime I see barbie dolls, I get the same sensation I had when I was little. I just can't explain it. It isn't the same as "baby dolls" ...so I think it's okay. ::wink::
:) mia
I played with my Barbie's until I was 12. Your right there is no rush to grow up. It happens all too quickly on it's own.
Post a Comment