The cold weather and snow have arrived at my house. Temps have already gone down to 19 degrees and today we received 3 inches of snow.... It's too early for snow and I refuse to shovel it. We are supposed to go into a warming trend this weekend, hey, it may even hit 40 degrees. Whoopie! lol....
Along with the arrival of freezing temperatures and snow, I've had a few other unexpected arrivals. The first being bees, LOTS of them.
This summer we knew that a hive of bee's had built a home inside the crevice of our house foundation. Aside from occasionally having trouble putting our trash out, the hive was right above the trash barrels, they really didn't bother us too much. Besides, with the cold weather coming....the bees go into hibernation. Usually.
For the past week, I have been seeing a bee or two cruising our house.... We really didn't think much of it, until two days ago. I came home Thursday morning after working my nightshift, and sat at the computer while waiting for my mother-in-law to come over and babysit. As I sat at the computer fighting off the desire to sleep, I was suddenly aware of a low buzzing drone. Buzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz..... I started to hear things hit the shade at the window on my right, and realized that many bee's were coming in the house. So many were coming in (only about 4 feet from me) that I had to abandon the computer and run for bug spray....
I started spraying them, but still more came in. I checked the other three windows in the room and they all had bees in them too. I don't do bugs well, and jumped and *eeeeked* each time a bee darted my way. I finally had to stop my spraying when I realized that my lips were turning numb from the RAID spray. After my valiant battle with the bees, (40+ dead ones) I called Mike at work and we decided that an exterminator was needed, asap. I called and got an appointment for the following day at 1pm. Apparently the bee's did not go into hibernation because they benefitted from the heat of the house. The girl on the phone told me not to spray anymore, because we did not want to force them deeper into the house.... So, I watched with wary eye and bug spray in hand for the next 24 hours. Today the bug guy was here, and hopefully that is the end of those bugs...
However, another bug has invaded our home. Finger's crossed it's only a stomach virus and not the flu. I suppose the next few days will tell the story. Last night Sammi started to suddenly throw up...all over the livingroom rug....arghhhh. She didn't have a fever and seemed better after, so, I hoped that maybe it was something she had eaten. Not to be.... She vomited through the night.... and then into the morning....and into today. Poor baby. She was so pale and became feverish. She didn't move an inch from the couch since it started. Being exhausted from caring for Sammi, the extra toilet cleaning and laundry, I was thrilled when Mikey decided to take a nap. YAY! A nap for Mom....
I should know better :::laughing, so I won't cry:::. I woke up about a half hour later and realized that Sammi was no longer in the livingroom. Yes, the child who did not move an inch in over 24 hours suddenly felt better when I took a snooze. Of course she HAD to get into something while I slept, ....peanutbutter. I found her with her hand full of peanutbutter, the opened jar was in the livingroom. Figuring she was hungry, I didn't punish her. I just cleaned her up, gave her a few crackers and she went to lay back down on the couch. It wasn't until after Mike came home that I realized what she was really up to. She smeared her bunny's cage with peanutbutter! I'm not sure what peanutbutter does to a bunny, but I'm thinking this might not be good. :::sigh:::
Tonight, despite still having a fever, Sammi seems a bit better. She ate two pieces of dry toast and kept down some pepsi. She only noticed a few hours ago, that it snowed and begged to go out and make snow angels.... We'll see what tomorrow brings.
Speaking of tomorrow, wait, it IS tomorrow already! It's my Mom's birthday... We were going to go visit today, but thinking we might accidently bring more than just a present if we did. So, I'll wait til all seems well here. Happy birthday Mom!! Look for your own entry later today...
9 comments:
Oh wow... flu season & snowbees! You've really been up to your eyeballs in it! Hope the weekend brings a sense of calm, clean & rested for your house. Shana
lol about the bees. We too we invaded this week by bees, but i didn't have any bug spray. I found that KABOOM works really well; the foam envelopes them & kills them instantly.Works better than any bug spray.I'm writing to them about alternate uses. Also, windex works in a pinch although not quickly, takes numerous sprays.
We went through the bee thing when we lived in a mobil home. I hated it then and hate remembering it too. So glad you were able to take care of it though. What if there were no bug exterminators? LOL *Barb* http://journals.aol.com/barbpinion/HEYLETSTALK
I don't do bugs well. I would've been more than eeek. I would've been under the covers dialing the exterminator! LOL
GEEEEZ BEEES! Not allergic, but I think I would've abandoned ship until BUGMAN could get out there. As it is, we've acquired mice. Maybe I'll try one one of those ultrasonic things if it doesn't drive the dog away too. The traps sure aren't workin.
Hope nobody else got the stomach thing. Speaking from experience - 4 puking kids is no picnic! Good thing moms are not allowed to get sick.
Awww, poor little one! I hate when they are sick, especially when they are throwing up. Funny though how she wanted to share the peanut butter with the bunny!! Bet she thought he was hungry too or something! And, BEES??!?! I thought they were all gone too! YIKES! My kids would be freaking out, they are so afraid of bees. I would have had to call a bug guy too unfortunately. Cha-ching, add that to the expense list prior to Christmas right?! Sigh! Hope everyone is feeling better over there soon!
Hugs and love, Lisa
Bees...I would have been freaking!
You should check with the doctor and make sure you all weren't poisoned by the raid....you could have been. I was once set back with pnuemonia that they said was caused by using those sprays (they can make you sick in the stomache too) Be careful with that stuff...look what it does to the bugs!
19 degrees outside and bees in the house? That would freak me out for sure. Any chance the vomiting was from the entire can of RAID you emptied in the house? I dunno. Just a guess. That stuff's nasty! How are the precious ones feeling now? And oh my, how's the bunny? :(
Snow Angels! Fun fun!!
It's JUST getting cold here. So, no snow yet.
what is it with p.b. my son does the same thing...we don't have a
bunny cage to decorate. So, he attacks the dining room chairs, and if there
is anything left over...the walls.
suffice it to say, I hide the p.b. in the refridgerator now. :p
hope you all get through the stomcach virus quickly. :)
Post a Comment